My Ultima Pro -

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

losiXXXman
Approved Member

My Ultima Pro -

Post by losiXXXman »

Well it's going to be an Ultima anyway. I picked up an outrage for CHEAP the other day. I also have gotten a hold of a Ultima Pro chassis. (I know that the XL chassis is generally more desirable, but I like a twitchy car!!) Got a few Questions though.

I've heard that to stretch the front end out to max width you need the Andy's Arms, however my outrage seems to already be as wide at the front as the rear? Did the outrage have a narrower rear end, because I thought the whole car looked like Ultima components. Is there a known alternative to the Andy's arm that will bring it out where it needs to be? Do JRX2 arms do this for instance?

Is it necessary to run the upper deck with the graphite lower chassis. I've seen some like that, others with just a short, front-only upper deck, and others with nothing at all up top.

Wes

Bormac
Approved Member

Re: First Ultima Ever!

Post by Bormac »

If you want to add a little more high speed stability and a more stable car through the corners I'd be looking for some PRO XL front arms. They come up on ebay all the time and are the widest track I think you'll find.

Good luck with your project. :D
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I think the Outrage is pretty much an Ultima with regards to track width. Either the Andy's or Pro XL arms will suit fine. Get whatever you find first for the best price. The Pro/Pro XL comes without an upper deck. So, you should be fine without one. They do, have a small deck that attaches goes from the front bulkhead to the steering posts.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

It looks like there're tamiya front wheels onthis one. So maybe you have the wide CRP kyosho-to-tamiya front axles.
The andy's arms are preferable to me though: with the CRP axles yourfront tires make a bigger sweep when you corner.
If you have a choice I'd go for an XL chassis: simply cause it makes it easier to put the battery in the length.

bdrmbully
Approved Member

Post by bdrmbully »

im about to strip down a pro xl buggy and put parts on a different chassis. the chassis will be for sale soon.
2nd place is just the 1st loser

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

What is the difference in wheelbase with the XL chassis (measurement)? For that matter, what is the pro's wheelbase measure? I'd also like to know the Optima MID measure versus the LWB Optima MID's. Recently saw the Optima Mid Custom Special body, and was trying to picture it on my Ultima, but now wonder if the XL chassis would match up with that body better.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Got my chassis in yesterday! It's a little more flex-y than the graphite chassis I remember (a jrxt from childhood). I guess the cell slots take some of the integrity away - I have to get an upper deck.

I think I've got a trad lined up w/ friend on here to source a deck, shocktowers and some other parts. Just waiting until we can get together.

GETTING EXCITED!!

bdrmbully
Approved Member

Post by bdrmbully »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120638000909&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
theres a nice chassis for yea. i may have a normal radio plate and def have an frp shock tower and gear box and various othe ultima parts if your interested. LMK
2nd place is just the 1st loser

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

That's a nice lot! Looks like it came out of an unopened kit!! :shock: Wish I could go for that, but I'm a LOW to NO budget builder..I got my pro chassis for $16 shipped, and the Outrage donor car for less than that! I may PM you BDBRM, if I cannot get the trade for the remaining parts done. Thanks :D !

mikea96

Post by mikea96 »

Should be a very nice build.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Outrage parts have been cleaned, so I decided to throw what I had at the chassis... still a little way to go!

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

I've been thinking about my Ultima a lot the past few days. So I have some thoughts to share and questions to ask.

I've decided that for economic reasons, everything in my garage should ride on the same wheels. Therefore whenever I do get to race, I can choose my car, and know that I'll have tires. To that end, I'm going to run the duratrax evader rims, like my RC10 is running. (Will switch to TT Phoenix ones, if durability becomes an issue!) TO do that I'm going to run B3 spindles/carriers and axles. (thinkI may do wide GT axles to help the width out until I get wide front arms!)

Been contemplating the tranny as well. The Thorp and Robinson 48p conversions I think I fetching more than what I'd pay, so I;m brainstorming ideas for a homebuilt 48p conversion. I think a Traxxas diff with the 60t gear may fit, I hope so because the 45t will be too small I think.

Can I assume that going from 32 to 48 means the same diameter gear would have 1.5 times as many teeth? If so, the stock 19t top and 37t bottom becomes a 28.5t top and a 55.5t diff gear.

So, a 28 top/56 bottom should work right? or a 24/60 (using the traxxas diff) (if it fits of course)! Gives a nice 2.5:1 ratio doesn't it...

External will be a whole other animal... Ideas?

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Most of us have used Triumph or A&L Lethal Weapon transmissions as an upgrade to get a better transmission. (48 pitch w/ a slipper.) The Ultima tranny is so unique that it's kinda hard to homebrew something with other parts. Once you get the internals figured out, getting the outside is going to be a challenge too. You'll need a large spur gear to reach the motor pinion and there isn't enough space. The shock tower is in the way as well as the transmission outdrive. Good luck!! :)

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

I don't think that converting the tranny is worth the effort. There is nothing wrong with the stock 32 pitch gears. They are much more durable, and offer easy replacement compared to aftermarket or home brewed options. The stock tranny offers no slipper, and this makes it less than desireable compared to other options.
If you are going to spend the time and money, throw a steath in it and be done, Ebay- $35. That being said, I have wicked moded out Ultima tranny with slipper and 12th scale spur adaptor that I have been custom building for a racer project :lol:. Definately not worth the effort accept for personal satisfaction. Ebay- $35. -Jeff

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Jay Dub wrote: I have wicked moded out Ultima tranny with slipper and 12th scale spur adaptor that I have been custom building for a racer project :lol:. Definately not worth the effort accept for personal satisfaction. Ebay- $35. -Jeff
Now that's something I'd like to see pictures of, sounds cool :)