Gold Shocks

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sgirouard
Approved Member

Gold Shocks

Post by sgirouard »

I'm currently working on some vintage kyosho projects. The Optima was my second car I ever had and I'm recently back into RC and want to "recapture" some of that magic LOL.

Does anyone have any good ideas where to get gold shocks.

On a side note, looking for some advise. I have a lazer alpha on its way to me. It had the black plastic shocks...does that make sense? I always thought they all had gold shocks. IF stock was with black plastic shocks, should I leave it "stock" or should I put some gold shocks on it.

I do have a pair of front gold shocks. Just need some 4" rears.

Thanks for the help

badattitude
Approved Member

Re: Gold Shocks

Post by badattitude »

Watch ebay for the kyosho golds. they pop up from time to time but you have to be patient. Set expectations to wait month. I really the golds a lot!

Actually, here is a set of rears on ebay uk...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Kyosho-Optima-Rear-Gold-Shocks-Tamiya-too-/230529794476?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item35aca581ac

Be careful about distinquishing between the duratracs vs. the kyoshos if shopping on ebay. they look very simalar but the kyoshos are much better IMO

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

The Lazer Alpha was a budget version of the Lazer series. You can expect (in stock form) allot of plastic parts. -Jeff

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Dude---you're gonna HATE me for this, but I just went on eBay to see if I could help you out, and searched for "Kyosho Gold". And I saw these:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390243401081&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

At that price, I snapped 'em up! Sorry--but that's what YOU gotta do. :)

To help with your search, I learned that the Turbo Optima & Ultima gold shocks are the same part numbers, W-5001 and W-5002. Include those in your search criteria. Expect to pay perhaps $40 to $50 a pair, that's what I've been seeing them selling for.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Coelacanth wrote:Dude---you're gonna HATE me for this, but I just went on eBay to see if I could help you out, and searched for "Kyosho Gold". And I saw these:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390243401081&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

At that price, I snapped 'em up! Sorry--but that's what YOU gotta do. :)

To help with your search, I learned that the Turbo Optima & Ultima gold shocks are the same part numbers, W-5001 and W-5002. Include those in your search criteria. Expect to pay perhaps $40 to $50 a pair, that's what I've been seeing them selling for.
GAHH!! I've been searching for weeks LMAO. I missed those and don't know how. I even tried to win an older Kyosho Stadium truck that had them on it.

PS I know about the old duratrax. The difference was the duratrax were "brighter" and they only had 1 o ring, not 2.

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Jay Dub wrote:The Lazer Alpha was a budget version of the Lazer series. You can expect (in stock form) allot of plastic parts. -Jeff
Thanks Badattitude. I'm gonna see if I can land those. I have fronts so that works.

Jay, would you suggest leaving the Lazer in "stock" form or upgrade it? I'm looking to appeal to the vintage market.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Coelacanth wrote:I've dealt with fireboy, he's knowledgeable...but his prices on some stuff is pretty high--but these are probably brand new almost.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/W-5001-Gold-Shocks-Optima-Maxxum-Ultima-Lazer-Rocky-/260666140607?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb0e9a7bf

And...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/W-5002-Gold-Shocks-Optima-Maxxum-Ultima-Lazer-ZX-/250698768061?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5ecf9ebd

(Hope that doesn't hurt...)
Wow, I'll probably stay "vintage" for that one. Considering I landed the car for $41 shipped to my door. LOL

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Well, you practically stole that Optima! Like you, the Optima was my second RC car (the first being a very disappointing Tamiya Frog that never performed to my expectations).

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Coelacanth wrote:Well, you practically stole that Optima! Like you, the Optima was my second RC car (the first being a very disappointing Tamiya Frog that never performed to my expectations).
Sounds like we're brothers from another mother. LOL.

1st. Tamiya Lunch Box
2nd Optima "Turbo-ized" that I got from a friend who didn't know what he had. $75 for the turbo optima, xl2p radio and spare parts (I still have some of those red shocks)
3rd Jrx2 - the buggy I owned with at our local race schene.

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Coelacanth wrote:Well, you practically stole that Optima! Like you, the Optima was my second RC car (the first being a very disappointing Tamiya Frog that never performed to my expectations).
Oh and yeah, if the pictures are accurate....I'm a happy man. This thing looks mint. I'll post some pics when it gets here.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Looking forward to your restoration! I bought mine as an original Optima too, and "Turbofied" it, adding the Celebration Gold chassis back when it was a pretty cheap Tower Hobbies purchase. Now, there's a dude selling a Gold chassis on eBay for close to $200 bucks. :shock:

I'm glad I kept my car and lots of parts!

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Yeah. I WISH I had kept my optima. I also dumped my JRX2, another mistake LOL anyway. Working on trying to build up my fleet.

One of my vintages I am going to move is my Kyosho Big Brute. As soon as I find 1 shock for it.

dandaman

Post by dandaman »

i have a set of gold shocks that came with a jrx2 i purchased on ebay that i will part with if their what yuo need.

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Sent you a PM