New addition...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

New addition...

Post by TamiyaTony »

Hi all. I am completely new to the AE RC10. I fell in love with this buggy back in the late 80s, but had no way to afford it. I had to settle for a Cox Bandito at the time. It even had the Kyosho name on the bottom of the pan. After reading the excellent history thread about the 25 years of RC10, I am pretty certain I have a late model Cadillac car. The box has the correct address and IFMAR wording and a printed label on the side. The gold pan itself has the "A" stamped on it that I can see (far as I know there is no "AB" - didn't take the motor off) and the original tires are the 4 rib. The original owner kept it pretty clean. I am really pleased with the condition because my plan is to restore it to box art. It doesn't seem to be altered at all except for the body mounts to accomodate a Parma 60s Corvette body that I will never use. I will take those mounts off and replace with the originals. Oh yeah, those are aluminum rims on the car as it sits. I do have the original unused rims and tires that will go on instead.
As for the electronics, there's the original msc and looks like a 7cell battery pack. The KO Propo EX-5 radio, receiver and servos are in there now. I like this radio, but when I tried the car for the first time, it seemd a bit glitchy. Can this be rectified with the existing setup? I believe it's an AM 27mhz... Also, it doesn't move in reverse. Perhaps these are things I just need to tweak.
I will do a tear-down and clean this puppy and then reassemble. I hope it's not too daunting of an endeavor. It may take a while because I am also working on another project, but I will post updates when they occur. I appreciate any input and advice as to doing a restore. It's great to be part of the club now and look forward to meeting you all. Cheers.

Tony

My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Re: New addition...

Post by rc10johnny »

Welcome!!! Man I would really love to find a set of those wheels for a project I have. You will love this site,info by the bundle,help,tons from everyone. again WELCOME! JohnnySr

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony »

Hey thanks! Yeah, it will be great to be part of the group. I know I will have many questions as I go along on this restore. :lol:
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony »

Here's a photo of the Vette body, but I won't be using it...

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

wow-- nice find!
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 RC12l 10LS Pro10

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

Wow, very nice find. That's a very nice RC10 to start with, it's even nice enough to make a shelf queen!!, but that would be no fun. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new project!
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony »

Haha, thanks! Yeah, I've been in that situation before. I had the Clod Buster bug so I bought an unused chassis and a newly painted body and when I put the two together, I knew it was going to stay a shelf queen. I had to then buy another chassis to use for bashing. :lol: I wish to stay away from that scenario again, but it will probably happen... It will just be an excuse to buy another RC10!

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

:( misread the title, was expecting a thread about

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Mister telephone man, there's somethin' wrong with my line. When i dial my baby's number, i get a click everytime......

:P :lol:

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

DUDE,you have one of my favorite RC10s !!! you have the dirty harry dead pool car (they used an rc10 just take off stickers and its the same car)... id keep it with that body... there are tons of stock shelf queen rc10s but you dont see alot of dead pool rc10s .. one day i would like one too, if you really want the buggy let me be the first to know if you want to sell the mounts and body :mrgreen: .. [youtube]SJ-bS6vw7F8[/youtube]

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

I had forgotten about that. Ahhh the good ole days BUT ! ya could not put enough plastique in the Vette to do that much damage (in real life) but yes thats a great car. JohnnySr

pastimesteve
Approved Member

Post by pastimesteve »

Nice find. I like those wheels!

Steve

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony »

Wow! I had no idea about The Dead Pool car. Yeah, it looks dead on. No pun intended. :roll: Hey, wasn't New Edition the band with Bobby Brown? Boy, I must have been in grade school back then!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Hey! welcome TamiyaTony! Your gold Pan RC10 looks great - really nice condition... looks like it was well cared for by its previous owner/s. I look forward to seeing how you get on with it.

Great link to the Dead Pool clip - thats the first time i've seen it.... I can remember playing with my car out in the street as a kid (probably my Hornet) & some old guy came up to my saying about a film where there was an RC car that would drive underneath a full size car then explode..... now I know what he was on about :D

Because of the film, I think the corvette shell is rather cool.... just imagine if it was one of the actual cars used for the film?

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony »

I think it would be eerie if it was one of the movie cars.

When I was a kid, a friend of mine had an RC10 gold pan car. One day we were drivin' our cars in the street and his older sister drove up in her 1:1 beater. She was going to enter the driveway but stopped when my friend's RC10 lodged itself under her front tire. We yelled to her about the predicament, but her fragile mind couldn't comprehend the situation so she began to resume her parking routine. The car then proceeded to drive over his RC10 with a up and down motion. I thought his buggy was toast, but when he went to retrieve the car, it was intact! The only evidence of the runover was a small stress crack in the rear shock tower. The RC10 is a strong car! It would take a lot of trauma to stop one of these. Glad to finally have one. :D