Blackfoot - Which Thorp Transmission?

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CNA75
Approved Member

Blackfoot - Which Thorp Transmission?

Post by CNA75 »

Ok, so I'm about to embark on my Blackfoot build with a load of hop-ups and chromed parts. One question as regards the transmission which I was hoping to canvas some thoughts on. I have both the Thorp telescoping drive transmission and the Thorp dog bone transmission - see pic below. What is the general consensus regarding which performs best? I will be running either a Technigold motor or a Dynatech 02H motor.

Thoughts/opinions most welcome......
IMG_3126.JPG

vwjuice
Approved Member

Re: Blackfoot - Which Thorp Transmission?

Post by vwjuice »

I don't know a lot about them, but I've been tole the plastic shafts can snap when you use the more modern mod motors, but they wear less than the metal dogbones. It's kind of a give and take thing.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

arent the plastic shafts just cut down losi sliders from the jrx-2?
if so they hold up well to a 17.5t brushless.

If you plan on running the truck I would go with the plastic shafts. I would think that the sliders will be easier to replace if broken than a dogbone would be if you lost one, unless the rerelease frog shafts are the same size(anybody have both?). if it is for a shelfer then just pick whichever you like best.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

It sounds like you plan to run it so i would go with the slider shaft set up. The rear suspension arms flex which can allow you to lose a dogbone.

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

I had the sliders on my blackfoot and I liked them better than the dog bones. And yes, they were a cust down version of the list sliders from the JRX series.

Moving forward, you can use the sliders from traxxas to replace those. The holes are slightly smaller...but that's a quick fix.

Regards,
highwayracer

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Thanks for all the advice. I do plan to run the truck occasionally although it will primarily sit on the shelf as I would not want to scuff it (I just like to have all my cars/trucks in a condition that they actually run).

Presumably, the re-re Brat dog-bone set will fit the Blackfoot? So, if dog-bones were required for replacement the re-re dog bones could be used...

Would someone be able to provide a link to the Traxxas plastic sliders that you are referring to. I am not aware of them....

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

The re-re frog dog bones will fit. I have them on my Blackfoot. You'll need the output shafts, bones, and axle shafts. They are a lot smoother than the old setup

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

The rere dogbones will fit sloppily in the thorp drive cups. Its because the thorps have bigger balls than those from Tamiya.

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

There is a set up that i have on one of my blackfoots. This truck has been on the "too finish" list for awhile now. Prehaps to long because I can't remeber if its a thorp or not. I guess old age is setting in. Maybee thorp or trackmaster or both. I do remeber that parts for the diff . were hard to find.
Attachments
img18745_27102008170325_4.jpg
img18745_27102008170325_3.jpg

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

looks a bit of both thorp and trackmaster. The gearbox is trackmaster and the aluminum hubs are thorp. hard to say about the axles and dogbones with out seeing them as throp had their own distinguishable surface finish.

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

Heres a pic of it when I purchase it . Looks good in the pics but the diff was missing parts . Not trying to be crude but the diff didn't have any balls in it. I have rebuilt the diff and changed the spur and pinion. I also replaced the belt.I don't care for the clamp on adaptors would like pin drive to run sees rims that i purchased from brandon.Thank you shodog for the info .
Attachments
img18745_25032008195344_2.jpg
img18745_25032008195344_1.jpg

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

rctenracer wrote:Heres a pic of it when I purchase it . Looks good in the pics but the diff was missing parts . Not trying to be crude but the diff didn't have any balls in it. I have rebuilt the diff and changed the spur and pinion. I also replaced the belt.I don't care for the clamp on adaptors would like pin drive to run sees rims that i purchased from brandon.Thank you shodog for the info .
I agree with Shodog. That looks like the Trackmaster gear box with the Thorp dog-bone set-up. If you want the pin out-axles so you can run Sees, you could think about replacing the Thorp Dog-bone setup with the new re-re Brat/Frog dog-bone setup. I'm not certain, but I think that latter set up may be a simple drop-in solution to your Trackmaster.....I'd recommend you do further research. I have the new re-re Brat/Frog dog-bone set but not the Trackmaster. The re-re set looks like it will fit the original gearbox so if the Trackmaster was designed to be dropped in using the original hex drives you may be in luck.

Like I say, worth doing your research but it may give you the Sees option (I also bought some of the gold annodized Sees from Brandon...can't wait to fit them, they look the business!!).

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

tried the frog axles. the dog bones that i have are not the same size. :(
I think I need thorp pin drive axles.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I like the sliders myself. I use the Robinson Racing ball diff and axles on my Frog. Looks very similar to your Thorp. Very sturdy so far.

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

rctenracer wrote:tried the frog axles. the dog bones that i have are not the same size. :(
I think I need thorp pin drive axles.
Can I suggest that you look in to trying these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-53908-FROG-WILD-ONE-Universal-CVD-Drive-Shafts_W0QQitemZ200350884757QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea5d7e395&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

I have a set of these and they are the CVD hop-ups for the Frog. They are a drop-in solution so may well fit with your Truck. When I get back home tonight, I'll check whether they have the pins in the outer axles and let you know....