Memory Lane

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dvalleli

Memory Lane

Post by dvalleli »

Hi everyone,

So I just moved across the country from Massachusetts to Oregon. While we were packing up the house back east, I ran across my old RC-10 and decided to throw it on the moving truck figuring I'd give it to my boys someday. So here we are 3 months later, and of course we have the one room in the new house that is still full of boxes. Well I dug out the old car a week or two ago, charged her up and low and behold, it works great! I'll post up some pics when I get a minute, but I figured you might want to hear a little of the history. (and no, it's not the boys' toy, it's MINE!)

My first "real" R/C was a Grasshopper, which I think I managed to break the first week I had it. I started talking to some folks at the LHS and at the time, (1988?) the RC-10 was the name in town. I saved up my pennies and bought a used gold-tub from some neighbor kid. And the fun began! There were no off-road tracks in my area at the time, so I quickly realized if I wanted to race, some modifications were necessary. For racing options the local clubs had weekly carpet racing in a school gym. Just about that time, someone opened a big paved, banked oval track in Wilmington, MA. (anyone remember that place?) Before I know it, the car had been lowered, mid-engined, and running foam tires (man, I miss the smell of Paragon!) It went through many, many evolutionary steps, but all started with that gold-tub. I did pretty good racing at the local track, and was learning alot about car suspensions and electricity, so my parents fully supported my new hobby. ALL my allowance went into the RC-10 and before long it had a graphite chassis, custom suspension (front shocks in rear, with a custom shock tower, solid front suspension with an on-road type spring suspension, Andy's a-arms etc) The mod I remember the most was when the Stealth tranny first came out. What a difference over the 6-gear! and my first Novak speed control - 410-M1c. There were also many other mods that didn't work, like that Hyperdrive belt system that I think I used all of once. (still have it if anyone's interested)

Since I now live in rural Oregon, there's not too much good pavement to drive around on, so I've been converting it back to buggy duty. I should have taken some pics of exactly how it was when I dug it out, but oh well.

I was excited to find this message board and see that there's plenty of old kooks like me who still have fun with these "vintage" cars. It's also impressive how many new parts are still available! I have access to a machine shop, so I've been able to make some parts myself, but gotta love eBay!

Well, rant over. Looking forward to sharing stories and advice with you fellows!
Dave

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Re: Memory Lane

Post by tecnica2001 »

Welcome to the Forums Sir, or should I say, fellow RC10 nut... it's always good to read the stories about how we got involved in R/C....

Ok enough is enough, where are the pictures..... :lol: :lol:

Just kidding, had to put that in there.... :mrgreen:
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

Where in OREGON did you move to :?:

dvalleli

Post by dvalleli »

I'm down in Bandon - south coast about 2 hours from California. I'm about a 30 second walk from the beach

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Welcome to the pacific nw. Check rctech.net also. There a lot people from the area on there. There is also some tracks down near Medford I think and there also some in Eugene, Salem, and woodburn. I run a woodburn and we have tried to get a vintage class going out there for quite a while but we always seem to be one car short. We have one guy that still races his old rc10t in stock truck and it does good after all these years.

dvalleli

Post by dvalleli »

Thanks vwjuice! I love it out here. I wish that Woodburn was a little closer! I've actually never raced on dirt- there were only indoor carpet and pavement tracks where I was. I'm gonna have to plan a trip up that way.

dvalleli

Post by dvalleli »

So here are some pics - sorry about the lousy quality; i'd been looking for our camera all week, and finally got the wife to tell me that it had gone for a swim "by accident" at the pool.
my god - it's full of holes!
my god - it's full of holes!
RC10 side.JPG
RC10 top.JPG
RC10 rear.JPG
RC10 front.JPG

tizeye
Approved Member

Post by tizeye »

Wow that's what I call a used car..that chassis has seen plenty of action...what beauty..
Pete

dvalleli

Post by dvalleli »

By the way, does anyone know who made this chassis? I remember buying it back in '92 or so, but don;t remember what brand it is...

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Another Oregonian! YESSSSS!

Like VW said, there are a few of us around. I've been on a bit of a hiatus, but i still stare at my growing pile of Vintage cars and parts.

Bandon is a bit far from most tracks, but i think there is one in Medford. RCTech.net is your best choice for NW info. It would be fun to organize a gathering and try to get a bunch of vintage to come out.

Welcome to Oregon!

MOmo

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

EH essay i is a mesican on the border--Oregon/Idaho--es kinda maybe far from ju but still en de state :mrgreen:

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

West coast rules! :wink:

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

Ju know i hearded the guys by the water---their heads they really really big :mrgreen:

wts873
Approved Member

Post by wts873 »

Welcome to the board! I think you should put in a brushless system and paddles and take it to the dunes!

illshou
Approved Member

Post by illshou »

Souds like your rc10 has gone through nearly the same transformation as mine..... oh yea WELCOME