Inexpensive but reliable 17.5 brushless

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: Inexpensive but reliable 17.5 brushless

Post by kaiser »

i think that's a 3000 or 3300kv motor, the rtr ae system.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

jwscab wrote:I'll throw another option out there, and that would be a takeout associated esc from a rtr b4 or t4, etc. the sc700, I'm not exactly sure how it compares spec wise, but at least it's an associated endorsed product.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Team-Associated-SC700-BL-Brushless-ESC-Speed-Control-Water-Resistant-2s-3s-/120885744288?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c255a12a0
Hi Joe :)

In my opinion, the fact that it's AE-badged really doesn't mean anything performance- or reliability-wise vs. hobbywing, or any other non-obscure brand... Actually these days, it's a bit the opposite I'd say... At equal price or so, I would tend to trust non-badge-engineered products more :)

Not saying AE stuff is bad, but rather than every company's got different skills... AE does chassis, TT does helis, HW does speed controllers :)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

right, I gotcha on that. associated outsources that from somewhere, most likely LRP, but who knows. The reason behind that option is that if it ever suffers damage, maybe you have a better option of repair than the other far east outlets? I dunno. I haven't ever dealt with AE customer support but I gotta believe it's as good or better then others.

the truth of the matter is that they all are pretty much the same hardware, just different outlets, and it's a crapshoot whether they work out of the box or not. The same goes for the LIPO chargers, I had one die on me pretty much out of the gate, which was a bummer.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

also keep in mind that the ae rtr electronics are NOT sensored.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

jwscab wrote:right, I gotcha on that. associated outsources that from somewhere, most likely LRP, but who knows. The reason behind that option is that if it ever suffers damage, maybe you have a better option of repair than the other far east outlets? I dunno. I haven't ever dealt with AE customer support but I gotta believe it's as good or better then others.

the truth of the matter is that they all are pretty much the same hardware, just different outlets, and it's a crapshoot whether they work out of the box or not. The same goes for the LIPO chargers, I had one die on me pretty much out of the gate, which was a bummer.

Hi Joe

HW isn't a crapshoot... their stuff is quality, every time. I think the other brands still have a business because a lot of customers don't trust HW (yet ) as a name but I would say they are VERY worried. A lot of low-priced brands have a poor quality reputations, but I have yet to see some bad comments on DOAs from HW for instance ;)

HW manufactures for a lot of hi-end brands, think SpeedPassion, or Orion... these two (among others) just take HW speedos, change the colors, mark up the price 80% and sell them like hot cakes. I don't think HW should be compared to BH or Toros or trackstars... they simply don't play in the same category. Just like they can't be compared to the $19.99 chargers that have flooded the market recently ;)

in terms of AE's system, I doubt it's LRP-made... I would have to check though but I don't think so. At all. I would say it's the cheapest stuff TT could find to slap onto their RTR range instead. I don't know about AceRC's BL system receiving better CS than HW (no idea if your gear would just get exchanged for free) but HW simply is just as reliable as anything else from the top-tier of products, or better. Worst case if it toasts, buy a new $70 hi-performance one ;)

Paul

PS: I was skeptical in the beginning... but I bought the very first speed passion combo that hit the market, the simple "Exige" unsensored one, I think in 2007 before SP started hitting big (multiple world champion in DTM EP by now...). It worked a treat. I later found out it was done by HW. Then I got a couple of el-cheapo ezruns 60A's for my runners, I even won a race with one in 2wd, then I had some friends buy some, then I got a Xerun 1.0, then a 2.1, then an extreme stock, today I run the SCT in my 8thBL... so I can say I know my HW stuff (I think!) :) Don't misunderstand them for your average cheap chinese BL manufacturer... The only one I've seen fry (ezrun) did so because the pack had been connected backwards (it was a loaner with a different set of connectors the driver was used to)

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

The Hobbywing Xerun range is top notch, i've used Hobbywing/Speed passion kit for ages and it's top quality and reliable.

I used to be sceptical about Hobbywing mostly due to the sensorless EZruns, but the Xeruns are just brilliant. I even just bought the Xerun 1s (2.1 GT with a voltage booster) for my Supastox GT12. It's awesome :D

Paul.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

So if the newbie have got this right is Hobbywing 60A Xerun 2.0 or 2.1 the way to go? 8)

How about the 17.5 motor?
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Hcp22 wrote:So if the newbie have got this right is Hobbywing 60A Xerun 2.0 or 2.1 the way to go? 8)

both are a good, pragmatic solution... doesnt mean the rest is necessarily crap, but this is a good start :D

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

CAT3K wrote:The Hobbywing Xerun range is top notch, i've used Hobbywing/Speed passion kit for ages and it's top quality and reliable.

I used to be sceptical about Hobbywing mostly due to the sensorless EZruns, but the Xeruns are just brilliant. I even just bought the Xerun 1s (2.1 GT with a voltage booster) for my Supastox GT12. It's awesome :D
Why were you skeptical about the EZRuns? Over on RCTech there must be dozens & dozens (maybe hundreds?) of pages of reviews on the EZRun systems and they're excellent. You really have to dig to find negative experiences, and in most of THOSE cases, the goofballs weren't reading the manuals. I don't think there's any difference in quality from the XERuns other than the latter being sensored motors.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Lonestar wrote:
Hcp22 wrote:So if the newbie have got this right is Hobbywing 60A Xerun 2.0 or 2.1 the way to go? 8)

both are a good, pragmatic solution... doesnt mean the rest is necessarily crap, but this is a good start :D
Okay Paul, tell me what to buy then, I won’t settle for good start! :wink: :lol:
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

tekin or novak. both have produced great results for me, and my novak ss 17.5 is over 5 years old and still on it's original bearings!

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

I don't know, I've heard of a lot of compatibility issues with Novak, seems like Novak doesn't like working with anything but Novak. Is anyone using a Novak SS with a non-Novak esc?
I heard the d3.5 was faster than the SS, has anyone been able to do a firsthand comparison?
Wait, I don't think Novak SS motors have endbell timing. Wouldn't a Novak Ballistic be better in 17.5 with timing?
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

never had an issue with a novak motor, trouble with esc's yes but never a motor.
i've used novak ss and ballistic motors with hobbywing, tekin and lrp esc's with no issue.

you are correct the ss is locked timing, i never had an issue, i timed through the esc.

i recommend the ss just because it's well built and mine is old as dirt as far as motors go.

unless you are really smooth (no crashes) i doubt you'll notice a difference between any of the known good 17.5's out there,
just like timing won't really matter unless a turn marshall never has to touch your car.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

85Edinger wrote:Is anyone using a Novak SS with a non-Novak esc?
all my Novak SS are ran off non-Novak speedos
85Edinger wrote:Wait, I don't think Novak SS motors have endbell timing. Wouldn't a Novak Ballistic be better in 17.5 with timing?
I will try to post pictures...yes, you CAN adjust the timing on them. I have my 17.5 cranked all the way, and it is a great motor :) :)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Okay, so I just went to look for the Novak SS 17.5, and I can't find it anywhere! Is it discontinued?
Edit: I saw that it is no longer part of the Novak product line, but Bumps and Jumps has it.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.