Who is running an RC8B?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flipwils11
Approved Member

Re: Who is running an RC8B?

Post by flipwils11 »

I got an rc8be ft new in the box on fleabay for $320. ;). There was a guy blowing them out for cheap, and that way I got to build it!

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

I snagged a smoking deal on 2 AEs, RC8BE and RC8TE roller. I wanted something big and burly that I could take to the local outdoor track and beat on w/o destroying to race cars. My 10th scale is strictly for the indoor offroad track. The local "park track" is too harsh on my buggies, so something larger was in order.

I like them overall, typical AE quality. I haven't run the 8B yet, I've been debating on picking up the new 8.2E just for racing, though I think this buggy would be fine, but you know how it is with new stuff.... The 8T will be the basher, a few upgrades here and there, overall just something big.

Anyone have suggestions on 8th scale electronics? Right now I'm using a hobbywing ESC and motor which are on the small side, I am trying to decide. Tekin seems the go to, but I have been impressed with the Hobbywing, esp since I tweak the software and its much cheaper.

I'll make you a deal on my 8E if you want!

MOmo

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i'm normally a big fan of hobbywing, until i got their 1/8 scale system. initially it was great, 150amp sensored 2250kv motor.
my rc8be was by far the fastest thing on the track. 2 batteries later the sensor came loose inside the motor and somehow took out the esc.
back and forth with hobbywing, no resolution. i still run their ecs's in some of my 1/10 stuff.

now i run a tekin rx8 with the 1900kv motor, geared 19/46 still one of the fastest 1/8's at our track and it's much smoother.
i've run no updates, just using the box stock profile and i'm very happy with it.

the 8.2 is a few mm's longer, has revised arms, shock towers and shock pistons. otherwise they are the same.

i don't feel the need to "upgrade", i just got done rebuilding it in time for motorama and it's just as tight and smooth as new.

pituk
Approved Member

Post by pituk »

I also just picked-up a used rc8be roller myself . Have the Hobbywing Xerun 80a and 2250 motor combo on the way , for $115 shipped , I'll give it a try .
Never ran 1/8 before but it looks fun at the track , what servo and battery's is everbody using ? Any recomendations would be appreciated .

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

the batt tray is a little small, i use turnigy 4500mah 40c 4s hardcases.
for a servo i was using a savox 2156 but it's been glitching my tekin so i'm back to an analog high tq chinese servo, it's a bit slow but it works and no glitching.

2250 is alot of motor, be carefull with that land missile. lol

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

kaiser wrote:the batt tray is a little small, i use turnigy 4500mah 40c 4s hardcases.
for a servo i was using a savox 2156 but it's been glitching my tekin so i'm back to an analog high tq chinese servo, it's a bit slow but it works and no glitching.

2250 is alot of motor, be carefull with that land missile. lol
If you run the capacitor on your receiver (anti-glitch deal thing that Novak sells) you'll get rid of that behavior. I had the same issue with my Savox and never had a problem since I put the capacitor in.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

horsecocky. :P

i hate crap like that. i guess i'll see if a vendor @ motorama has any, because i'm leaving @ 3am tomorrow morning.

it was more then a glitch though, it would not return to center, or stay all the way to the left or the right. really weird. my other digital servos can be noisey and a little finicky but this was crazy.

pituk
Approved Member

Post by pituk »

My friend with a savox and a castle monster also had the same problem . The novak glitch buster fixed it , believe the capacitor is a 5600 by 10 volts . Could probably be picked up for a buck or two and just solder some leads to it . Is a analog servo less prone to problems ?

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

pituk wrote:My friend with a savox and a castle monster also had the same problem . The novak glitch buster fixed it , believe the capacitor is a 5600 by 10 volts . Could probably be picked up for a buck or two and just solder some leads to it . Is a analog servo less prone to problems ?
Exactly, my car was a mess without that glitch buster, and I was thinking what the hell, I spent HOW much for this new servo?

I've never had a problem since. Kaiser, you can't tell me you're worried about weight on an 1/8th scale! :lol:

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Can one of you guys post a pic of how the capacitor is setup? I've never had a problem with 1/18 or 1/10 so if I'm going to have a potential issue I'd want to know how to fix it beforehand.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Goatless wrote:Absolutely, NEVER buy a used motor!
I have to disagree, as a former Novarossi sponsored driver you would be ecstatic to get one of my used mills. We also broke engines in with 2.5l of fuel and replaced the con rod ($100) after. We carried a small Asian with us to tune, setup and match our gear to the conditions and driving style.

You have to know who your buying a motor from :wink:

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

Charlie don't surf wrote:We carried a small Asian with us to tune, setup and match our gear to the conditions and driving style.
That's just wrong, man.

:lol:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

He was all that we could fit in the carry on compartment :lol: :lol: :lol: ( oceans' 12 )

His name was Lee (something) :oops: We nicknamed him "the General" as in General Lee, he was a really nice guy and I got to know him well enough that he would answer my calls when in Korea-
we still talk regularly

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

mmmmnnnn...novarossi...

Yep, I've got to agree with both points. By any means if Reggie had a motor I was after I would not hesitate. The average guy on ebay that states 'ran 5 tanks thru and still has great pinch/due to the whatever of this hobby I will not do returns' is who I would have say not to buy from. I have at least 20 motors here that need pinched/pistons&sleaves that were either 'just broken in' or backup motors that were never used.

To me its a crapshoot either way. I traded my ofna hyper 7 off and it had a strong running motor. the new owner got a couple tanks outta it and it had no more pinch...I don't know what he did to it in those couple of tanks though.

What did you run Novarossi in Reggie?

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

1/10 touring and 1/10 dirt oval. All .12 screamers from 38-48k rpm.