Some questions about getting running again

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mark in wi
Approved Member

Some questions about getting running again

Post by mark in wi »

I have a mid 80's, a stamp, 6 gear that I am trying to back running again. I used this back in the day as a carpet oval stock car. I have gotten it "running" if you want to call it that and now I'm trying to do it right. When I used to race most of use ran the steering of the servo right out to the wheels so I'm using the Traxxas bell cranks which seem like a good fit. I will, for now, be running my T4 speed control with either NiMh or LiPo to a 27 turn "stock" motor I got from someone at the track. I also found a bunch of b3 wheels so I'm good there. i am having a heck of a time figuring out the gearing though. Any ideas??? :?: Also is there anyone using a T4 with LiPo and how is it working? I was running around the driveway and the motor was getting very hot which I think was the gearing but not sure. I also need to know about what size tubing is used to brace the front nose? I will need to make something up since I trimmed down the sides where the braces attached to the side of the tub. I will be taking off most of the suspension parts to boil them but I'm not sure how long I should do this. I have read here from 5 minutes up to 30 so I NEED help with this too. I will be trying and fabing up some new shock towers but I will need to find scans/pics that I can print and attach to some fiberglass but I don't want to get tooo far ahead of myself. I picked up a new Viper body and need ball cups to make it look a little cleaner. My Magnum jr. worked but I picked up a Flysky 2.4 since there was interferance around the house. Never posted pics but I will try.
Thanks for the help,
Mark

mark in wi
Approved Member

Re: Some questions about getting running again

Post by mark in wi »

changed for not thinking before typing. :oops:

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i can't help with the gearing, last time i had a 6 gear i was a kid. one of these day's i'll have to get back into them.

boiling, i thought, was for new parts back in the day.

the other parts you mention can all be had, fairly cheaply, on ebay, or here in the bst.

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

mark in wi wrote:WOW No body can give any suggestions on gearing, boiling, or nose tube size?
Sorry, I got 2 hours into your essay then fell asleep before I could reply.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

I believe you're thinking of hydrogen peroxide soaking.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

mark in wi
Approved Member

Post by mark in wi »

Sorry just got done dealing with something and was hoping to see some suggestions. :oops:

Boiling - I read somewhere around here, boiling should help put some water back into the parts so they are able to flex a little before breaking. I have seen everything from 5 to 30 minutes and was hoping someone who has done this could narrow it down for me.

As for gearing I don't have a clue with the switch to the b3 wheels.

Once again I apologize for being rude.
Mark

body snatcher
Approved Member

Post by body snatcher »

I boiled some parts for about fifteen minutes the other day....I was craving hard boiled eggs. Hey,two birds with one stone,right? :shock: :lol:

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

mark in wi wrote:Sorry just got done dealing with something and was hoping to see some suggestions. :oops:

Boiling - I read somewhere around here, boiling should help put some water back into the parts so they are able to flex a little before breaking. I have seen everything from 5 to 30 minutes and was hoping someone who has done this could narrow it down for me.

As for gearing I don't have a clue with the switch to the b3 wheels.

Once again I apologize for being rude.
Mark
I know nothing about RC10s and gearing so i cant help you there, but this may help out and give you a somewhat rough idea? http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28127 there are plenty of threads on people racing RC10s and i'm sure there is info there on gearing, you will have to have a search around.

Apparently peanut oil is good for plastic. I use Autoglym vinyl and rubber care. You could also try wintergreen oil, or Glycerin - but I think these are better for rubber.

Some interesting stuff here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62328.0

As for the T4, it can handle the stock motor. But your motor probably wont handle the long run times you will get from a lipo. If you search for OIN threads, this is "Old is NEW" you will find a heap of stuff on modernizing your RC10, there is also a thread on modern tech: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewforum.php?f=40

e.g OIN http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27121

I'm sure there are loads more threads, one listing parts required, etc. You're not rude, but perhaps a little impatient ;)

Good to have you on the board