How much is too much for a resto?!

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Doc J33P
Approved Member

How much is too much for a resto?!

Post by Doc J33P »

I know that can be said differently for anyone. Money is not an option for some, but it can be for others.

Since I am new to this resto thing (doing my Cougar 2 Works as we speak and my LXT) I am learning it can be expensive for accurate parts. Is paying $65 for original jrx2 tires (all four) worth it if they are brand new? Should I be spending 35 here, 60 there and buying many duplicates of used parts? Or should someone just make a huge purchase for an already built kit? I guess in the end this all is irrelevant as I can answer it my way. I would buy the NIB's if I could justify it. Since I can't, I have to rebuild. But then all I can find are used cars and parts.

What all do you think? I am not opposed to used, but used may not look the part when you want it to. I just want to build something that looks like it would if I had it since 88, lol.

Jon
35 years of RC and still broke!

call-911
Approved Member

Re: How much is too much for a resto?!

Post by call-911 »

I dunno... With the Losi JR market, $65 for a set of tires seems pretty high since the resale on great condition cars isn't that much higher.
Keith C

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

call-911 wrote:I dunno... With the Losi JR market, $65 for a set of tires seems pretty high since the resale on great condition cars isn't that much higher.

I know, and that is why I am torn. I have seen jxr's go for $20 and sell and they are awesome pieces. Then I have been seeing crap sell for $100. I guess it is all a crap shoot and what you want to invest. I am about to buy these tires but feel pretty silly to do so. But, I cannot find wheels tires anywhere?! I know that many, MANY people here have sets lying around probably. Heck, there might even be some in the for sale area but I have to wait to see it.

bdrmbully
Approved Member

Post by bdrmbully »

one thing i can say for ebay is be patient items are like buses and usually you will find the same item for less if you just wait it out a lil.
good luck to you.its not about the money all the time its the satisfaction you will get from it when your done building it.
money comes n goes.
2nd place is just the 1st loser

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

$65 is a bit nuts, especially considering stagger ribs are not the correct front tires for a jrx-2, the x-2 came with full ribs.
Also the rears are not the boxart tires, they are a bit higher profile and have a different sidewall.
The kit tires for a jrx2 are
front 7200 ribbed
rear 7300 4 row spike

If you are looking just for any nip tires there are still better deals to be had out there

Best bet for the losi is to buy complete cars that have spare parts/wheels. I have gotten tons of aftermarket parts, 2 sets of aluminum wheels, and many nice sets of plastic wheels/tires this way. Sell off the parts you don't need. I find that with the losi old school stuff having such little respect/demand you can make out well. I recently bought an RTR junior-2 just for the box, manual, and aluminum front arms. I wound up selling the novak speed controller it came with for more than I paid for the entire RTR car.

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

aconsola wrote:$65 is a bit nuts, especially considering stagger ribs are not the correct front tires for a jrx-2, the x-2 came with full ribs.
Also the rears are not the boxart tires, they are a bit higher profile and have a different sidewall.
The kit tires for a jrx2 are
front 7200 ribbed
rear 7300 4 row spike

If you are looking just for any nip tires there are still better deals to be had out there

Best bet for the losi is to buy complete cars that have spare parts/wheels. I have gotten tons of aftermarket parts, 2 sets of aluminum wheels, and many nice sets of plastic wheels/tires this way. Sell off the parts you don't need. I find that with the losi old school stuff having such little respect/demand you can make out well. I recently bought an RTR junior-2 just for the box, manual, and aluminum front arms. I wound up selling the novak speed controller it came with for more than I paid for the entire RTR car.
I totally agree and am glad to know that those are not even what I am after. The money thing is not always the issue but it matters. I am just looking to get all original and I don't want to get screwed. I will pay for what is needed but not more than the part is worth. But, that remains to be seen.

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

You ask a very good question. Unfortunately, there is no correct answer because we all have different criteria based on our personal circumstances.

I feel that a NIP pair of buggy tires should go for $20...that's what I sell them for. Sometimes you can find it at that price, sometimes you can't. Patience is your biggest friend...but you also don't want to be on the 5 year plan to restore a car.

What I do (and probably a majority of us) is to buy part lots or used kits which contain the part that we need. You can then resell the remainder...probably for a profit with a little cleaning. I personally like restoring cars, so I don't mind buying used kits. The downside is that you may accumilate quite a bit of stuff.

Regards,
highwayracer

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

highwayracer wrote:You ask a very good question. Unfortunately, there is no correct answer because we all have different criteria based on our personal circumstances.

I feel that a NIP pair of buggy tires should go for $20...that's what I sell them for. Sometimes you can find it at that price, sometimes you can't. Patience is your biggest friend...but you also don't want to be on the 5 year plan to restore a car.

What I do (and probably a majority of us) is to buy part lots or used kits which contain the part that we need. You can then resell the remainder...probably for a profit with a little cleaning. I personally like restoring cars, so I don't mind buying used kits. The downside is that you may accumilate quite a bit of stuff.

Regards,
highwayracer
So I may be doing it right then?! I am buying the parts as I find them. I guess having more parts i don't need and can sell will help.