What size pinion?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bigmd
Approved Member

What size pinion?

Post by bigmd »

Dumb question I’m sure , but I’ve been out of game for a while . I plan on running my 40th as is and with vintage electronics. I’m going with a Novak cyclone and twister pocket rocket 27t motor and some 2s lipo. What’s a good pinion size? Thanks

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: What size pinion?

Post by XLR8 »

It depends upon the type of surface and size (grass, tarmac, dirt, flat vs. jumps, tight twisty track vs. a wide open field or parking lot). For my small backyard track, I usually aim for roughly 10:1 FDR to start then gear-up based on motor temp and how early the motor revs peak through the long straight sections.
Doug

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

The RC10 Essentials app has this motor and ratio recommendation chart. There's typo that they claim the 6 gear transmission has a 2.6:1 ratio instead of 1.83:1, but they got the final drive ratio math right. I'm not claiming these are perfect recommendations, but they are a starting point.
1000011507.png
1000011508.png
1000011509.png
Your Cyclone ESC doesn't have a Lipo low voltage protection feature, and many Lipo batteries have high mah ratings that result in long run rimes that will likely overheat a brushed motor. Do you have any other details on your planned setup?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

bigmd
Approved Member

Post by bigmd »

Ok thanks for the info. I was gonna run a low voltage alarm. I can run NImh if it’s better for the set up.I’m not racing just backyard basher.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

You can run Lipo, you would just need to limit the run time. The same is true for NiMh batteries. NiCd batteries commonly were 1200mah, with some going up to 1700mah. The motor got very hot just from those 5 to 6 min runs.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

bigmd
Approved Member

Post by bigmd »

Ok . Sounds good . Thank you. Are you running vintage stuff with lipo?

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Yes I do. It's nice that lipo is lighter weight than NiCd and NiMh, especially if I get lower mah lipo. I run an alarm with older ESCs. I have run motors too long and overheated them, so I try to use motors that are low value.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

FWIW, I run my brushed motors (15t - 27t) with 4000mah lipos for roughly 10 - 15 minutes per run and motor heating isn't a problem.
For my track, 8:1 is much too tall and would probably cause some overheating within 10 minutes. It's best to start with a small pinion and work your way up.
Running your car in grass will bring temps up fairly quickly so you'll want to monitor it closely.
Doug

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I try not to run in grass with buggies. It's kind of like trying to run in a swimming pool, except without the water cooling.

bigmd
Approved Member

Post by bigmd »

Thanks all for additional info. No grass running. Gonna be street and some dirt . I’ll be getting low voltage alarm and will keep tabs on run time .

TenaciouzB

Post by TenaciouzB »

Frankentruck wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:01 am The RC10 Essentials app has this motor and ratio recommendation chart. There's typo that they claim the 6 gear transmission has a 2.6:1 ratio instead of 1.83:1, but they got the final drive ratio math right. I'm not claiming these are perfect recommendations, but they are a starting point.
1000011507.png
1000011508.png
1000011509.png
Your Cyclone ESC doesn't have a Lipo low voltage protection feature, and many Lipo batteries have high mah ratings that result in long run rimes that will likely overheat a brushed motor. Do you have any other details on your planned setup?
Hi. I see the web app but have not found the section with the table you shared in the second image. Do you mind sharing a link to that page when you get a chance. Your posts have been super helpful. Thanks!

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

The web app used to be offered as a phone app, but apparently they stopped publishing that. This is the web app link (just to have the link):

https://apps.associatedelectrics.com/ateamapps/vehicle_reference/rc10classicessentials/index.html

The gear ratio part is here:

https://apps.associatedelectrics.com/ateamapps/vehicle_reference/rc10classicessentials/pages/manual-Tuning.html