Anodizing Cost Effectiveness?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

HS-YZ250

Anodizing Cost Effectiveness?

Post by HS-YZ250 »

If these parts ever become available, does anyone know the cost effectiveness of having them anodized to match the classic RC10 gold?

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/parts/details/6311-ASC6311-rc10cc_chassis_nose_plate_motor_mount_silver/
Losi LXT (JRX-T Conversion)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky
Parts-Car-to-Runner Kyosho Rocky
Yokomo YZ10 WCS '95 Pavidis
RJ Speed Spec10 "Chew Toy Mk1"
Redcat Lightning STK "Chew Toy Mk 2"
Kyosho Lazer ZX, ZX-R, ZX-RR

JosephS

Re: Anodizing Cost Effectiveness?

Post by JosephS »

HS-YZ250 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:45 pm If these parts ever become available, does anyone know the cost effectiveness of having them anodized to match the classic RC10 gold?

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/parts/details/6311-ASC6311-rc10cc_chassis_nose_plate_motor_mount_silver/
Cost effective compared to what? I have gotten quotes and it may be around $50 for the parts from a place on facebook for one set. If you are doing a whole batch 8-10 it may be $300 for a batch from a general shop.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

JosephS wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:54 pm
HS-YZ250 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:45 pm If these parts ever become available, does anyone know the cost effectiveness of having them anodized to match the classic RC10 gold?

Cost effective compared to what? I have gotten quotes and it may be around $50 for the parts from a place on facebook for one set. If you are doing a whole batch 8-10 it may be $300 for a batch from a general shop.
Compared to sourcing rere or bstamp parts off ebay that someone didn't use to skate down the street on.

Seems like this whole set and $50 would beat that.
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Note that you would need to pay to have them stripped as well, unless you wanted to attempt it yourself. They are anodized, just no dye.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

HS-YZ250 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:03 am
JosephS wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:54 pm

Compared to sourcing rere or bstamp parts off ebay that someone didn't use to skate down the street on.

Seems like this whole set and $50 would beat that.
There is a reason why you don't see people flipping old chassis and re-anodizing them for a profit. It's time consuming, requires skill and experience and needs to push a lot of volume to make a good profit.

buying good quality pieces and refinishing poor quality pieces will be similar in price. It's expensive to get used lightly scratched straight and flat aluminum pieces. It's very time consuming to properly strip, polish and straighten an old chassis that isn't in good shape. I have seen rc10CC sets for about $100-130. These would need minimum prep. Adding $50 to that set would bring you close to $150-180. That's a reasonable price where you can get good condition original aluminum chassis set.

I decided to anodize some parts just to extend my experience in the hobby. I have some notes here.
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=46613

Here is a long and winding thread where I tried just what you are looking to do.
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=46355

It took a few different tries to refinish the chassis and wound up anodizing them with a cut rate service. A lot went right and wrong and I go over the process.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

JosephS wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:00 pm
There is a reason why you don't see people flipping old chassis and re-anodizing them for a profit. It's time consuming, requires skill and experience and needs to push a lot of volume to make a good profit.
I wouldn't be reselling.

A $50 (?) premium for a non-scuffed, non modified, zero hour, all color matching set seems like a decent deal.

This, of course, is if associated ever makes those silver parts available, which with the current trend of re-release support parts not being available I gather isn't going to happen, so it's all academic at this point.
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

This, of course, is if associated ever makes those silver parts available, which with the current trend of re-release support parts not being available I gather isn't going to happen, so it's all academic at this point.
They have been for sale, the website is sold out now though. https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/parts/details/6311-ASC6311-rc10cc_chassis_nose_plate_motor_mount_silver/
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

HS-YZ250 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:50 am
JosephS wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:00 pm
I wouldn't be reselling.

A $50 (?) premium for a non-scuffed, non modified, zero hour, all color matching set seems like a decent deal.

As an update, the place that quoted me the $50 price for an anodize was reported as no longer accepting orders.

Getting the color right for a gold pan is a bit of a challenge. If you want a black or different color anodize you can go just about anywhere. To get a gold pan specific color you would want to work with someone who specialized in RC10 anodizing.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

GoMachV wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:01 am They have been for sale, the website is sold out now though. https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/parts/details/6311-ASC6311-rc10cc_chassis_nose_plate_motor_mount_silver/
I searched a few times since they had the clear announced and nothing ever showed up. Did they actually have stock? I know I missed the gold re-release parts by a bunch of years, but I was all up into dirt bike racing and dreaming of Yokomos and Lazers, then.
JosephS wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:46 pm As an update, the place that quoted me the $50 price for an anodize was reported as no longer accepting orders.

Getting the color right for a gold pan is a bit of a challenge. If you want a black or different color anodize you can go just about anywhere. To get a gold pan specific color you would want to work with someone who specialized in RC10 anodizing.
I gather that Associated even had a hard time with getting consistent gold, so that'd be less of a concern than getting three pieces the same shade.
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky