Give a pro driver a crappy car experiment

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

1911Colt
Approved Member

Re: Give a pro driver a crappy car experiment

Post by 1911Colt »

Diamond Dave wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:07 am ThE Stig?? Michael Schumacher?
Yes, Micha(e)l (Orlowski, who races for) Schumacher. :lol:

When was the World's car released? 93? If so, I will have to disagree that it is the earliest car that could be made competitive with the advantage of a Pro driver on the wheel. I think the Bosscat (91, 92?) could do it as well. Optima Mid (no idea when it was released) might be a contender as well.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

1911Colt wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:41 am When was the World's car released? 93? If so, I will have to disagree that it is the earliest car that could be made competitive with the advantage of a Pro driver on the wheel. I think the Bosscat (91, 92?) could do it as well. Optima Mid (no idea when it was released) might be a contender as well.
I used the Worlds car as an example. But the Worlds car was just another RC10, which came out in 84. And the Worlds car was basically a modified Team Car (90). But if you were going to use a RC10, you might as well use the best.

But the point was that you couldn't expect someone to take something as antiquated as a Grasshopper or Frog and be able to complete with modern cars.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

agreed

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

No, you couldn't expect a grasshopper or hornet to be competitive... but exactly how uncompetitive could be interesting.

Maybe something like an old Traxxas bullet... lots of old oddball cars overshadowed by the big names bitd.
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Have you seen the car that Masami is pushing lately? He seems to get around the track quite well with it (the offroad, not the amazing 12th scale he is working on).

I handed my well prepped RC10 to a higher level racer a few years back, at a local club event, running 17.5 stock, he was able to easily lay down consistent laps that would have had him TQ the expert stock class and podium in our modified class. He did admit, he had not driven an RC10 that was so good on the track before. We shared set up tip and ideas and he was quite happy at the days end - as was I :) - my best lap was nearly a full second slower than his average lap, same car, batteries, tires, conditions...
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

clm wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:44 pm No, you couldn't expect a grasshopper or hornet to be competitive... but exactly how uncompetitive could be interesting.

Maybe something like an old Traxxas bullet... lots of old oddball cars overshadowed by the big names bitd.
The rpm ultra molded buggy falls in that category.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

JosephS wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:46 pm The rpm ultra molded buggy falls in that category.
Ultimately, it's still a RC10. More specifically, one with 91' Worlds suspension geometry.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

You could give me one of the top pro drivers modern cars and I could guaranteed crash it into the wall harder than they could. I’m not sure that counts for anything but it’s a slow day.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

GoMachV wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:35 pm You could give me one of the top pro drivers modern cars and I could guaranteed crash it into the wall harder than they could. I’m not sure that counts for anything but it’s a slow day.
That is why I build Associated and Tamiya cars but mostly drive a (beefed up) Traxxas.

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

I think the point made about "how uncompetitive" results from this experiment is most interesting to me as well.

Give Ryan Maifield, Masami Hirosaka, a top local racer, and myself a bone stock Tamiya Grasshopper with a transponder. How different will our times be? Five seconds, three or less than a second? Maybe this simple test gives me greater clarity about where they are superior, how this superiority looks like on the track--when all advantages (excuses?) attributed to equipment and their adjustability are removed. It's a crude test of excellence.
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Well I'm sure after a bit of feeling out the car and finding what it is and isn't capable of, the more experienced driver would smoke a less experienced driver (this "feeling out" would most likely occur within the first lap or so). Difficult to tease out exactly who would prevail in the above lineup, but it is safe to say it wouldn't be you....or me...no offense intended or implied.

As to the spread in lap times, I think there are too many factors involved and/or some would have to be assumed or factored out all together. What if (assuming top speed is equal between cars/setups) one or more drivers decides to straighten the track a little more than the others, catches a pipe, and breaks, resulting in a DNF? Too many factors affecting the hypothetical outcome. Final answer.

But what if it is decided to have no corner marshalls? I bet that would reel in some of the aggressive driving. Or increase it. "Rubbing IS racing."
Hope you're doin' something fun.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

GoMachV wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:35 pm You could give me one of the top pro drivers modern cars and I could guaranteed crash it into the wall harder than they could. I’m not sure that counts for anything but it’s a slow day.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I must have missed this post when it was new. Good stuff!

RyanTQ10
Approved Member

Post by RyanTQ10 »

TokyoProf wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:07 am I think the point made about "how uncompetitive" results from this experiment is most interesting to me as well.

Give Ryan Maifield, Masami Hirosaka, a top local racer, and myself a bone stock Tamiya Grasshopper with a transponder. How different will our times be? Five seconds, three or less than a second? Maybe this simple test gives me greater clarity about where they are superior, how this superiority looks like on the track--when all advantages (excuses?) attributed to equipment and their adjustability are removed. It's a crude test of excellence.
At the iconic revivals, there is a race of champions for those who finish 1st and 2nd in the a finals of each class. Even though all the drivers are fast, the races are dominated by pro drivers like Drescher and their skill is evident. All the cars are the same (associated rb10s) but still the pro drivers are way faster.

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

[/quote]
At the iconic revivals, there is a race of champions for those who finish 1st and 2nd in the a finals of each class. Even though all the drivers are fast, the races are dominated by pro drivers like Drescher and their skill is evident. All the cars are the same (associated rb10s) but still the pro drivers are way faster.
[/quote]

I think the race of champions idea is a nice thing to do, how about giving them a bone stock Tamiya grasshopper with a 380 or 540 silver can motor? That RB10 has too much racing adjustability and racing heritage.
I have this theory that lesser drivers would be more competitive with crappier cars and, that better cars, highlight better driving skills. Then, the race might be a lot closer between the drivers? Maybe...
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

You could give a pro driver a crappy car and me a B7, it still wouldn't matter.

The only chance I'd have is by wrecking him as he lapped me. It might happen without me even trying.