painting advice Masking and Caps

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JosephS

painting advice Masking and Caps

Post by JosephS »

Hello all!
I am hoping that some experienced folks can let me know if I have a plan that makes sense, or if I am setting myself up for frustration.

I had someone lined up to paint the body, but It looks like it won't be able to happen until next year. I though I could try at it.

The design I am going for is this
opener.900.jpg
I am looking to use rattle cans. Are there caps available for PS paints the same as for regular paints. It looks like Tamiya, the paints I have, are a male valve can needing a female cap. Has anyone tried this?

It looks like I will need a bit of masking. I was thinking that I could use vinyl stencil to create masks and transfer paper to apply it. The idea is that cutting accurate matte lines will be easier on a flat surface. Has anyone tried this method?

the mask I was thinking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Stencil-Material-12inch-Silhouette-Machines/dp/B07HMM3HBL/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=Paint+Mask+Stencil&qid=1633293783&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-21

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0912BW72X/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0912BW72X&pd_rd_w=Jwxnv&pf_rd_p=9fd3ea7c-b77c-42ac-b43b-c872d3f37c38&pd_rd_wg=ff2tL&pf_rd_r=7CJ4KKVS2KNP41CN81KY&pd_rd_r=aff7dc8e-215f-401b-ad40-746165787261&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUFVJQ1o0RlA0MllRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzYzNDI2Mk1OTFQ3NjFCTDQxNCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTYwNjQ3MjBJOFZHNkFaSlVPUyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Re: painting advice Masking and Caps

Post by Burniefloyd »

I am interested to see what others do as well and if the vinyl sheet makes a good mask. I

am no expert but I have been practicing and experimenting with pretty decent results doing something similar.

I draw the pattern on the outside with sharpie and then cut paper stencils for the areas.

I never thought to buy tape in a sheet or use vinyl but I take blue painters tape and I lay it in strips on wax paper, this allows me to cover area larger than the width of the tape.

I then use the stencils to trace the design on the tape, cut it out and peel off the wax paper when I want to apply it.

It works well to allow for the contours of the body as you can lay the paper stencil on the inside of the body to see how it lays (lies?)
Self described chronic hobbyist

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Tamiya makes sheets of blank masking paper. It might come in handy.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Might want to ask around with friends and family and see if anyone has a CriCut. I have started experimenting with one myself. Should be able to make some nice cut masks with whatever design you can imagine.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

morrisey0 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:28 pm Might want to ask around with friends and family and see if anyone has a CriCut. I have started experimenting with one myself. Should be able to make some nice cut masks with whatever design you can imagine.
To me that would be excellent, but I don't have access to one. But the vinyl material I am looking for is the exact same as the cricut stuff.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:08 pm Tamiya makes sheets of blank masking paper. It might come in handy.
That was another thought to me. I am under the completely unresearched idea that vinyl will be easier to cut fine lines into and won't bleed.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Burniefloyd wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:56 pm I am interested to see what others do as well and if the vinyl sheet makes a good mask. I

am no expert but I have been practicing and experimenting with pretty decent results doing something similar.

I draw the pattern on the outside with sharpie and then cut paper stencils for the areas.

I never thought to buy tape in a sheet or use vinyl but I take blue painters tape and I lay it in strips on wax paper, this allows me to cover area larger than the width of the tape.

I then use the stencils to trace the design on the tape, cut it out and peel off the wax paper when I want to apply it.

It works well to allow for the contours of the body as you can lay the paper stencil on the inside of the body to see how it lays (lies?)
I have the stuff you mentioned. I may just try that and see how well I can transfer designs. I had a real issue with clean edges with the last body I painted using tape. In places where I cut there would be some spidering along the cut edges, especially in curved areas. I was using the tamiya paint masking tape. Have you experienced that with painters tape?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

This place has several designs, as well as blank material.

https://xxxmain.com/collections/paint-masks

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

juicedcoupe wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:18 pm This place has several designs, as well as blank material.

https://xxxmain.com/collections/paint-masks
That is where I got my idea from. if I wasn't going for a specific design I would try some of those.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

RoofDesign_simple.jpg
RoofDesign_simple.jpg (15.42 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
RoofDesign_simple.jpg
RoofDesign_simple.jpg (15.42 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
I tried simplifying the details on the roof down to 5 colors and no fades. I'll have to see if I can make it smoother by hand.

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

JosephS wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:08 pm
Burniefloyd wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:56 pm I am interested to see what others do as well and if the vinyl sheet makes a good mask. I

I have the stuff you mentioned. I may just try that and see how well I can transfer designs. I had a real issue with clean edges with the last body I painted using tape. In places where I cut there would be some spidering along the cut edges, especially in curved areas. I was using the tamiya paint masking tape. Have you experienced that with painters tape?
The painters tape has taken a little practice. You have to make sure the body is clean before you lay the tape. I have some alcohol swabs like they use before you get a shot that I wipe the area with. Then after it is applied I go over the edges several times to make sure it is down. I use the back of my fingernail and follow the edge and then move from inside to out and repeat a few times and the edges are crisper than if I tried to mask then cut.

I want to get some of the Tamiya flexible edging tape to try soon too. I have 3 bodiee to order from TBG but keep putting off because it is a pain to combine with the MCI decals from my phone.

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

JosephS wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:08 pm

The painters tape has taken a little practice. You have to make sure the body is clean before you lay the tape. I have some alcohol swabs like they use before you get a shot that I wipe the area with. Then after it is applied I go over the edges several times to make sure it is down. I use the back of my fingernail and follow the edge and then move from inside to out and repeat a few times and the edges are crisper than if I tried to mask then cut.

I want to get some of the Tamiya flexible edging tape to try soon too. I have 3 bodies to order from TBG but keep putting off because it is a pain to combine with the MCI decals from my phone.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I was thinking that vinyl pinstriping tape from an auto parts store might be good for setting a crisp edge but I haven't tried it yet.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Burniefloyd wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:17 pm I have 3 bodies to order from TBG but keep putting off because it is a pain to combine with the MCI decals from my phone.
One of the other members recently used that. He said the price difference was negligible. Since they are both in Canada, sales tax is charged between them. The taxes pretty much offset any savings.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Frankentruck wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:21 pm I was thinking that vinyl pinstriping tape from an auto parts store might be good for setting a crisp edge but I haven't tried it yet.
The thin Tamiya tape works fine. You just have to be careful at overlaps. The paint also needs to adequately dry before trying to remove the tape.