RC10DS - Gulf Livery Mustang

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Re: RC10DS - Fat Bottom Mustang

Post by LoboNYC »

Lonestar wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:58 am Nice, trick DS - as expected from you :)

Any chance you could still space these wheels out (traxxas makes great, cheap, plastic hex spacers :mrgreen: ) a bit more to better fill the fenders? 8)

Paul
Thank you! and thank you for the traxxas hex tip as well. Im going to look into widening them out a little more.

3/23/19 - Just placed orders for 7mm, 9mm, 12mm, 15mm, and 20mm hexes. A little excessive with the variety but i like to cover my bases.
coxbros1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:44 am Just checked it out, yes Pinky is very cool!
Glad you liked Pinky. I have several different DS build pages...with more to come :wink:

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Well, I got a variation of wheel/hex extenders but was unable to use them due to screw threads. One side is standard and the other is metric. This was in order to move the wheels closer to the body rather.

Since none of the extenders worked for me i resorted to using the original Associated Mustang DS body. i cut, trimmed and mounted onto my DS. The DS will remain a long wheelbase and wide wheel track width setup. only the body was changed. I also mounted an HPI wing on the rear of the body.

i think it looks much better. What do you think?

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

That looks slick bud much better........................................
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

KidAgain wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:50 am That looks slick bud much better........................................
Thanks, the space between the wheel and body was starting to drive me nuts but I did not want to change the GT chassis or beadlock wheels. I wanted the long wheelbase and wide track to remain as is.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Honestly, I like it without the wing. The rear part of that body is already swept up and would act like a spoiler...so unless it's purely to improve downforce, I'd lose the wing. Don't rice the 'Stang. :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Coelacanth wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:42 am Honestly, I like it without the wing. The rear part of that body is already swept up and would act like a spoiler...so unless it's purely to improve downforce, I'd lose the wing. Don't rice the 'Stang. :lol:
:mrgreen: Totally understand your preference for losing the wing.

The associated mustang body does have that swept up rear unlike the HPI mustang body, which is where i got this wing from.

In my case, i do prefer the extra down force it will provide as i intend to run this one day. :D

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

I put a stadium truck type rear spoiler on my junk 2000 camaro body and now the car is glued when before off throttle or light braking would spin the car out at speed even the slightest steering input would upset the car, not anymore.
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I only brought up the wing comment because the car looked too nice to be a runner. :lol: If you're gonna run it, by all means wing it.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

KidAgain wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:57 am I put a stadium truck type rear spoiler on my junk 2000 camaro body and now the car is glued when before off throttle or light braking would spin the car out at speed even the slightest steering input would upset the car, not anymore.
I learned the hard way to keep a wing on them :mrgreen: had a corvette NTC3 spin out and hit a wall for lacking a functional wing.

Coelacanth wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:53 pm I only brought up the wing comment because the car looked too nice to be a runner. :lol: If you're gonna run it, by all means wing it.
No worries, I truly appreciate opinions and ideas. In some cases, I'll even make changes due to those opinions. :D

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Nice job, I like how you mixed in blue as others have mentioned. What brand wheels and knock-offs are you using - they are awesome.

Thanks Limestang

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

limestang wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:56 pm Nice job, I like how you mixed in blue as others have mentioned. What brand wheels and knock-offs are you using - they are awesome.

Thanks Limestang
THANKS!!! Glad you like the blue mix. I have a deep blue associated exhaust i was thinking about using but it throws off the black and blue balance. i may or may not swap out the black paris pipe for a paris stilleto but im still undecided.

The wheels are RC4WD Shelby 1.9" Beadlock Wheels. The knock offs come with the wheels and are removable.

05/16/2019
On a separate note, i started messing with some HPI Home Improvement decals

I didn't like the way they looked (plus they were not meant for this body), so they were removed. I did keep the BASF, Pirelli, Champion, Red Wing Shoes, and Ford sponsor logos. Traxxas Receiver and 1600 mah receiver pack are standing by for install. All she last left to be finished are colors and paint scheme.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

UPDATE

I decided to do a GULF livery theme paint job on the mustang. I used Tamiya PS-24 fluorescent orange and PS3 Light blue for my primary colors and black for the lines. The knockoffs from the Shelby wheels were painted with Testors fluorescent orange enamel paint. The orange outer edge highlights on the wheels were done with a sharpie oil based orange marker. She is equipped with a receiver pack and is just lacking a receiver in order to be completed. Of course i have a traxxas receiver ready, just need the time.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the ending to this build. Let me know what you think... :D

I think i will change title to Gulf Livery Mustang

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Damn that looks sharp, in my opinion you got the hardest thing done which for me is paint scheme and painting the build phase is the fun part.

Put the blue pipe :wink:

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

KidAgain wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:46 pm Damn that looks sharp, in my opinion you got the hardest thing done which for me is paint scheme and painting the build phase is the fun part.
Thanks!...I agree. The hardest part of a project is the paint scheme.

Preparing body with masking tape, deciding on patterns, deciding on colors, and waiting till the wife leaves for the day so i can paint by the kitchen window without incident. :mrgreen:

blue pipe? I toyed with that idea but it threw off the black and blue balance.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

WOW!!!!

I see a walkover coming up soon in the Build of the Month contest..... which is great, because it gives me another month to plan!!!!

Great build mate, and the finishing with the body, cherry on top. :mrgreen:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!