"Not my cup of tea" but I like it anyways?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Nobby Sideways
Approved Member

Re: "Not my cup of tea" but I like it anyways?

Post by Nobby Sideways »

RCveteran wrote:Pointing out a fault can be factual, you have a run in your paint. I don't like Red is just an opinion no one asked for however.

That said the internet does make it easy to tear down. Guy spends 150 hours building something, he knows where the faults are better than anyone and probably doesn't need them pointed out.
I just came back from belgium in my real car, and I took it out on track. The belgian marshalls were poking round the car snobbilly pointing out every single blemish in the paint (of which there are admittedly many). It seems those who are most keen to point out flaws are those who have done nothing of note themselves.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

I will have to say I'm very prone to saying along the lines of what this thread is about. For me though I believe my views are slightly different than what this thread is about.

I have a very select style. Not everyone views everything the same. I know my opinion on if it's my style is really irrelevant. But my meaning in saying so is to let the poster know that even though said buggy or truck or car, is not my typical style or taste, they have really impressed me enough to post about it. I feel like it's a good compliment than just saying cool buggy. Maybe it's my view on this topic but if someone ever posted on my thread and said "boy do I hate stadium trucks but I like the way your truck looks". I would not view that in a bad way.

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

Lol. It's away to absolve oneself of association with a certain style or situation but still show an appreciation for it. Not sure where there is a philosophical debate is. Like when people look at the stereo I built for my son's jeep. They can appreciate the work and craftsmanship but most would never even dream of owning a competition stereo.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

RCveteran wrote:Pointing out a fault can be factual, you have a run in your paint. I don't like Red is just an opinion no one asked for however.

That said the internet does make it easy to tear down. Guy spends 150 hours building something, he knows where the faults are better than anyone and probably doesn't need them pointed out.
I'd disagree to an extent. Some of us would indeed know where the faults are, and then there are others (maybe new to the hobby), that doesn't have a clue that there is a problem with his build, and a comment does need to (or should) be made to correct the issue.

There's other times where someone spends a crap ton of time/money on just a plain dumb idea. Sure the 850 hours of machine work looks cool, but it's a waste of time on a part nobody will ever see.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

That guy spent 850 hours because he knows the part is there and could care less if anyone else knows. This thread has been enlightening, if only people could come to RC10talk.com to see what civil disagreement looks like. Rc10talk for president!

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

RCveteran wrote:That guy spent 850 hours because he knows the part is there and could care less if anyone else knows.
This is my life in a nutshell.........

You down with OCD?

Yeah, you know me!
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Nobby Sideways
Approved Member

Post by Nobby Sideways »

RCveteran wrote:That guy spent 850 hours because he knows the part is there and could care less if anyone else knows. This thread has been enlightening, if only people could come to RC10talk.com to see what civil disagreement looks like. Rc10talk for president!
This is one of the most friendly yet mature forums I've dealt with. I disagree with my mates over beers but we are still mates at the end of it.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I sort of share Todds view.

It's letting the person know It's something I'm not really into but their project strikes a chord that hits the right notes with me, hence liking it.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Agreed, on this forum being above most. I am into full size cars like many here and I stopped those Forums years ago, between the arguing, misinformation, racist crap, and general idiot nature why bother.

I often wonder how this one stays so civil and I think perhaps it has to do with a bunch of grown men paying way too much for old toys most people could care less about. You have to be comfortable with your choices and not take it all that seriously.

I mean, just take a statement like this, "Guys can you believe I found an MIP gearbox for a JRX2 and I only paid $250 for it.". Kind of funny to think about if you step out of our bubble. But I digress.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

RCveteran wrote:Agreed, on this forum being above most. I am into full size cars like many here and I stopped those Forums years ago, between the arguing, misinformation, racist crap, and general idiot nature why bother.

Yep, I've stopped using more than a few auto forums due to the immature people on them. It is nice to have a civil argument on here, without someone getting all bent out of shape and going ballistic. Just because we disagree, doesn't make either of us wrong.