Revtech motor ID??

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Revtech motor ID??

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Anybody know anything about old Revtech motors? I've got a mint one, but don't know much about it. It's can is silver and has just a simple Revtech sticker on it. The sticker is clear with Revtech written on it twice. It came in a motor case labeled "Revtech 4113". I would assume the 4113 is maybe a part number. Anyone have any clues? I'd like to put this in my buggy, but I don't know how to gear it, since I have no idea what it is.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I have that same motor, and I believe it is a 13 single. Revtech's were my favorite motors back in the day—even more than Checkpoints (I couldn't afford Checkpoints as a kid).

Be warned about running those old motors now. They were designed for 7-cells and cells with considerably different voltage, mAh and internal resistance. You could very easily blow a wind in a vintage motor on the batteries of today.

I discussed this with Jim Greenmeier before he passed away. He talked about how the motors he built in the 80s wouldn't be able to run very well on the batteries we now have. Besides the brushes and springs we have now, the winds and coms were very different. Guys like Greenmeier, McCurdy, Walker and those old crusty motor winders knew what the hell they were doing. I'd love to have them still winding motors for me today...

Honestly, if you have one in the package, use it as a display and mate a current motor to your current batteries for better performance, life and reliability. Truthfully, a 13-turn from 1988 is about the same performance or less than today's machine-wound 19T ROAR spec motors. I'd hate to see a gem like that get mangled.

;)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

13T single, yikes. That's a bit to hot for me in a runner car loaded with rare parts.

I don't have the orignal package, it's in an old plastic motor case. But, it is in mint condition, it doesn't look like it's ever been run. I'll leave it as it is and just run one of my other spares.

Thanks for the advise and good info bud! 8)

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Is it a silver motor (paint) with black Revtech logos on it or is it a chrome motor with black, blue, green or gold logos?

Chrome motors were all stock 27T and not too dangerous to anyone. By today's standards, VERY slow. They required a handful of suppression capacitors to be soldered directly to the can, and between the (+) and (—) tabs. All the same Yokomo cans/endbells with different decals on them depending on what style teardown they were using at the time. That was from the days of sealed tabbed motors. You couldn't open them at all.

All painted Revtech motor cans are modifieds. Lots of odd colors, too—lime green, maroon, yellow, gunmetal...

If it's a stocker, they are rare, but still stock. If it's a mod... you can always sell it to me. :)

Does it look like this?

13-single if my memory isn't completely shot.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

It's chrome (Tamiya silver can style) with black on clear decals. Yep, it's a stocker, it's got the tabs and capacitors. I didn't even think of those tabs, I had completely forgotten about the old sealed can stockers. I want to put it in my car, but it kinda seems like a bad idea to take what appears to be a mint condition vintage motor and put it in a car I plan to run, even if it's barely ever gonna get run. I'll probably just throw an old 17t Orion I have that's been sitting around in the car.

Thanks again for the info.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

btw, sweet oval racer. Is that an SPR-1? Great looking car. 8)

TeamROCKIT

Re:

Post by TeamROCKIT »

"All painted Revtech motor cans are modifieds. Lots of odd colors, too—lime green, maroon, yellow, gunmetal..."

I just had a buddy give me a throw away box full of RC gear someone was dropping off at an electronics recycling drive.

In it among other stuff was a still clear yoko Super Dog fighter yz10 with a REVTECH motor... BROWN w/ gold on clear decal.

Any info? Or are they all just "modified"?

Thank you all in advance! 🙌
Attachments
Fender Bangers R/C by The Model Rocketeer
Fender Bangers R/C by The Model Rocketeer
YOKOMO Super Dog Fighter YZ10
YOKOMO Super Dog Fighter YZ10
YOKOMO REVTECH brushed motor
YOKOMO REVTECH brushed motor

jwscab

Re: Revtech motor ID??

Post by jwscab »

There is a motor guide thread on here for old motors.

Since it's a modified though, it's easy enough to pop the armature out and see what the windings look like and they probably marked it somehow to indicate the turns. A quick view at the comm tabs will tell if it's a single double etc. If you see single fat wire you know it's relatively low turns.

juicedcoupe

Re: Re:

Post by juicedcoupe »

TeamROCKIT wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:27 am I just had a buddy give me a throw away box full of RC gear someone was dropping off at an electronics recycling drive.

In it among other stuff was a still clear yoko Super Dog fighter yz10 with a REVTECH motor.
That's the kind of friends that I need.

Mine give me yard tools. I'm like, "dude, its 110° outside". Then they responded with, "thats why I gave it to you ".
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

TravelinTravis
Approved Member

Re: Revtech motor ID??

Post by TravelinTravis »

Pretty sure it's a 19turn triple wind. However, if you have a silver dot with the same can/color motor label, it's a 19 turn double. I've got both, but in all honesty....you never really know what you have until you open the can. It was sooo easy to switch armatures in cans on brushed motors back in the day. Nice motor....good score....I Love me some RevTech!
20220420_134814[1].jpg