Kyosho now on the re-re bandwagon - Scorpion

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho now on the re-re bandwagon - Scorpion

Post by GoMachV »

Yes it's a minimum charge, we can do a very large batch at the minimum. It's $25 to strip and $45 to anno (bright dip, hard, Teflon all extra)
They don't prep besides the chemicals, so if something doesn't get stripped properly or there are other problems it will get missed. The anodizer does this small batch work more as a favor, he would much prefer to do all fresh new metals all day. You will find others that will do all the prep work for you but they charge more too.

The person askbob uses is top notch for small batch work with precision. He is also on eBay but you might ask bob (lol!) for his contact info

The place i use is called advanced precision anodizing
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

The white is perhaps even cooler - The annoed shocks will look amazing against the g10
Gone fishing

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Exactly my thoughts. I need to get cutting some more materials
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

I can do all the prep work myself and I prefer that I do it, especially for the shocks, remove all the scratch marks evenly. So than it will be $45 plus shipping, I live in SF. Does bob have a site or contact infor?

Advance precision anodizing - the name says it all! You will do it once so better do it proper the first time. I can do the prep, not the ano so that way save a bit of money and the anodizer guy will be happy too

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

To be clear, askbob is a member here, and his guy is the all-in-one perfectionist that ensure you get a perfect anno job

As far as the place I use goes, You can contact them thru the website or by calling them. Turnaround for me has been around a week.
I'm not sure how payments would go as they usually take cash and check only. Might be a money order deal
http://www.advancedprecisionanodizing.com
503-661-6700
Factory Works website

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

Hey thanks Gomachv, I will send an email to them. Wow they do a second form of really anodizing, diamond hardness! Will ask for quotes etc. If you don't want them to anodize the inside of shock body, do they cover it up or do you need to give them the bottom retainer as well, in my case its aluminum, will ask them this as well.

thanks again. :mrgreen:

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

You would need to find a way to mask it out, I have never done that I just let them do the entire shock. They do not know anything about RC cars, so you will have to explain it to them
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I wouldn't worry about anodizing on the inside of the shocks. The actual layer of anodizing is so thin that it wouldn't matter or affect the shock pistons, and has the advantage of helping to protect the raw aluminum underneath.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I had considered a liquid mask on my hard anno shocks to retain the Teflon but change the color. I never followed thru tho
Factory Works website

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

You are right, Coelacanth about the ano protecting the insides from wearing out even though there is oil in there. But the CB 88s have really fine threading, I don't know if the anodizing is going to fill it up to that extent where it is hard to screw the bottom retainer?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

They were anodized originally, so by removing the layer then anodizing you should be pretty close to where you started. Hard and hard Teflon would be thicker
Factory Works website

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

I know what you saying but the inside of the shock where its so finely threaded, it bare aluminum, so I will have the inside altogether blocked from anodizing. Plus I have replaced the aluminum pistons with plastic ones for smoother travel and less wear on the inner walls. when I get ready, I want to have all 6 done, how is the anodizing, I mean the color, it looks like the origianl, texture and color (deep red)?

I might just get 4 done and later do the longer ones.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

The color is pretty close to a CB shock from memory but I don't have one handy to compare it to. I think it's a bit darker than the small red shocks were. The color from APA is considered burgundy.
Factory Works website

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

The shocks that you got done is from APA? To me the color looks really good but looking at it in real and in sunlight will give the true 'color'. I got a new set to compare with. Even so, they must have just that one color in red anyway, I guess.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

They have a "red" also but it's much lighter. I didn't get a pic of the sample piece tho

Their prices have gone up $5 on strip and anno not sure about the rest
Attachments
image.jpg
Factory Works website