battery questions

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slvrback
Approved Member

battery questions

Post by slvrback »

Hey guys, From what I read the Turnigy nano tech batteries seem to be the best bang fir your buck. Is this correct? I picked up two 5.8 2s 7.4v and they seem to big. what is the largest that will fit in a stock 10T. Any suggestions ti get the best run times from the batteries is greatly appreciated ..

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: battery questions

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Are you wanting best fit, run time or performance? To be honest, if you're just wanting a 2s pack that will fit with little or no modification, then most will work just fine. If you're wanting freakishly long run times or performance then Maxamps makes some pretty crazy packs, but they cost a premium. Otherwise, the nano tech packs are as good o' value as any IMHO.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

I have a couple of nanotechs, I like them. Another brand that offers a lot of value are the Vant batteries. They're a little shorter, but thicker, so fitment can be an issue, but I've been very happy with them. I have some 3S 6,600 mAh 30-60C packs and a 2S 8,000 mAh 40-80C. They were each about $50.

I was running my 10T on that 2S for a good half hour solid last weekend before I broke an arm mount. It's a Hobbywing SC10ESC and 10T motor. I plugged it in tonight to charge for this weekend, sucker still showed 8.14 volts! I'm thinking it would have gone an hour or so if I hadn't broke the truck. Crazy!

I get a good 30-40 minutes out of those 3S 6,600 packs in my Prolite, and I drive angry, Plus, they're pushing a 2150KV 720 can (1/8 scale motor). I get similar time out of my Turnigy 6.0 3S, but it's in my CE buggy, which is 2-1/2 lbs lighter and only running a 12T 540 can.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

I agree, I have quite a few 5.2 Turnigy packs. They are just a tad to large for some of the runners I have.

The larger the MAH, the larger the battery size physically. I bet you can do some measuring and order some 4000 mah to 5000 mah 7.4V packs that will fit no prob.

I have a few 3.8's that sit great in most of the older stuff we run. Take a few measurements and order accordingly. Save your self the hassle of wondering if it will fit.

tamiya
Approved Member

Post by tamiya »

Measuring is good, but after a while they still grow on ya :?

Got tired of stuffing fat packs into tight bays, so latest shipment got me some
Traxxas MERV-sized packs... smaller in all dimensions so they'll fit into anything.
Turnigy's Nano are only 2200mAh but supposedly 40-80C... not huge capacity
but still longer than my current attention span nowadays :shock:

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote: I was running my 10T on that 2S for a good half hour solid last weekend before I broke an arm mount. It's a Hobbywing SC10ESC and 10T motor. I plugged it in tonight to charge for this weekend, sucker still showed 8.14 volts! I'm thinking it would have gone an hour or so if I hadn't broke the truck. Crazy!

I get a good 30-40 minutes out of those 3S 6,600 packs in my Prolite, and I drive angry, Plus, they're pushing a 2150KV 720 can (1/8 scale motor). I get similar time out of my Turnigy 6.0 3S, but it's in my CE buggy, which is 2-1/2 lbs lighter and only running a 12T 540 can.
Man, remember when 5 minutes was a lot with a race motor, and good packs were $50 in early 90's dollars (roughly $100 today)? Nostalgia is cool and all, but the 1980s can keep their motor and battery technology. I do, however, miss how good looking the ESCs were back then compared to these utilitarian boxes now.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

SteveK wrote:I do, however, miss how good looking the ESCs were back then compared to these utilitarian boxes now.
I miss the huge variety of brushed motors with their great graphics and cool looking endbells. At least some of the brushless motors are starting to gain a little character and aren't just the solid one color cans anymore.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

slvrback wrote:Hey guys, From what I read the Turnigy nano tech batteries seem to be the best bang fir your buck. Is this correct? I picked up two 5.8 2s 7.4v and they seem to big.
The time the 10T came out we were using old nicads, as battery technology moved on the cell size grew slightly, and then when lipos came out the standard lipo case size was based around the bigger size of cells at the time, so all batteries designed for cars are all the same size. It's why the rerelease RC10 has had the front battery cup mounted a few millimetres further forwards and the new bulkhead is missing the lower section of the battery holder, otherwise no modern battery would fit in there.

Turnigy nanotechs are the same size as any other standard car pack. Smaller capacity packs will be the same length and width, maybe a little less height but not much. You could look for 'shorty' batteries, the same width and height but only 95mm long, giving you more options for mounting them in the chassis.