jconcepts detonator for rc10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

pedro
Approved Member

Re: jconcepts detonator for rc10

Post by pedro »

I'm late on this i know but i just saw it, that it horrid to say the least as for growing on you so do warts but it doesn't mean you have to like them.
Slightly off topic but when the original rc10 was first reviewed bitd by one of the US mags the reviewer said the protec body was so ugly the paint wouldn't stick to it imagine if he saw this beast of a thing.....

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

A lot depends ont he colour scheme - the dark blue/range one makes it look very upright and elongated cab - almost like it has a rear seat for a passenger !

With the lighter and slightly disguising scheme of JHarris' i think it looks pretty good.

Trouble is we all know what a RC10 Classic should look like, so anything too different takes time to adjust to

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Sorry guys, can't resist... this been just posted on a french forum... I think it's (unfortunately) spot-on...

http://www.rc4ever.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=8357&start=40

(that's a once-popular 50yo Citroen, btw)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

the other thing is if this was made by another company than jconcepts it would have been dismissed completely by now and renamed the turd :)

ra272
Approved Member

Post by ra272 »

Well, paint it black, with a Halloween paint, it could be cool.

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

BUT even all those highbrow cars have a decent A pillar layback.

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

pedro wrote:..Slightly off topic but when the original rc10 was first reviewed bitd by one of the US mags the reviewer said the protec body was so ugly the paint wouldn't stick to it.....
That's actually exactly on topic imo Peter. Look around in 1984, everything looked like a Chenowth, and people were throwing (the nice thick shelled, wavy netted protech) shells away and putting on Rough Rider bodies, until they "grew" on folks. Go to TBG if you want something regurgitated. I applaud them for sticking their neck out and making something that (OK, admittedly from 150 feet away :lol: ) you can clearly tell is a detonator.
- Brian -

My Gallery

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

You're exactly right. The vintage market is not a huge market for manufacturers, yet JConcepts has chosen to support it by making a new (not reproduced) body, tires and wheels of the period correct size and option parts to enhance the performance and appearance of the vehicle. I applaud Jason Ruona for taking this risk while knowing that the sales probably won't even cover the design and manufacturing costs. Knowing Jason personally and speaking with him almost daily about these cars I can tell you that the JConcepts involvement comes solely as a result of his love for the RC10. I also know that the RC10 products were not supported by others at JConcepts, so Jason stepped off the line and did it on his own. While I may be a team driver and friend of his, my support of this line of products comes out of my appreciation for a company willing to take a chance on something new. If Proline, AKA, Panther or anyone else were to produce tires/wheels for this car I would applaud their efforts too. Sadly, I don't think you will see any such products since the market doesn't suggest a profit for those items.

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

JHarris wrote:..The tires and wheels are a hit with me. The rear are 1.7 and the fronts are 1.9. They are only planning to produce green Double Dees and green Rips until the market shows a demand for more. Lets hope the vintage thing catches on so more parts are produced through the aftermarket.
J, Is the bead on the tires designed such that you can pinch them into Jelly Beans? Or will glue be necessary?
- Brian -

My Gallery

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Right now there's only one set and I haven't had a chance to molest them. Based on the wheels they are sitting on I assume they are your typical glue type bead. With todays motors, batteries, track surfaces and tire compounds/designs a pinch wheel wouldn't work very well anyway. I will check and get you a definitive answer though.

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

JHarris wrote:Right now there's only one set and I haven't had a chance to molest them. Based on the wheels they are sitting on I assume they are your typical glue type bead. With todays motors, batteries, track surfaces and tire compounds/designs a pinch wheel wouldn't work very well anyway. I will check and get you a definitive answer though.
Copy, I get it that the green rubber means if you don't glue them at the lip, you will fill that with dirt, but just curious.
- Brian -

My Gallery

TheSpeedway
Approved Member

Post by TheSpeedway »

jwscab wrote:BUT even all those highbrow cars have a decent A pillar layback.

LOL :D

TheSpeedway
Approved Member

Post by TheSpeedway »

[quote="Y'ernat Al"] That's actually exactly on topic imo Peter. Look around in 1984, everything looked like a Chenowth, and people were throwing (the nice thick shelled, wavy netted protech) shells away and putting on Rough Rider bodies, until they "grew" on folks. [quote]

This is close to correct from my experience as well.

The original opinion was that the Protech body looked like a cover to keep the dirt out of the pan that had a roll cage added. This is why I bought a basic kit without the body. I still don’t love them. The reason that the body gained support is because it was made to fit the shock tower and had enough thickness that it wasn’t guillotined in half when you got upside down.

If you look at the original RC10 lit you will see a body on the prototypes that looks like a Super Champ copy. That’s what I ran and it lasted one evening. I was still sorting the car out and it was coming off the jumps sideways so I drove upside down a fair amount. I later went with the Protech just so it would last.

ca-rj
Approved Member

Post by ca-rj »

It will be a waste if they don't fit the stock 3 piece wheels. There's already enough of us shelling out money for 2.2 wheels and tires, I can't see many buying yet another size that is almost stock, but not quite and needing yet another set of wheels.
JHarris wrote:Right now there's only one set and I haven't had a chance to molest them. Based on the wheels they are sitting on I assume they are your typical glue type bead. With todays motors, batteries, track surfaces and tire compounds/designs a pinch wheel wouldn't work very well anyway. I will check and get you a definitive answer though.
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258