My other passion - Lego Technic

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

esaresky75
Approved Member

My other passion - Lego Technic

Post by esaresky75 »

Like a few others here, I also like to build Lego models of the Technic series. Also like certain RC models, the price some kits can fetch is :roll: . Limited edition Crawler 20,000pcs. Each has it's unique license plate of 1 to 20,000. Set is sold-out and now available on ebay and other special online places. Price from Lego was $199 but now fetches $300 plus with some asking $500 plus. :(
http://www.google.com/search?q=lego%2041999%20crawler&hl=en&gbv=2&prmd=ivnsfd&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

romulus22
Approved Member

Re: My other passion - Lego Technic

Post by romulus22 »

IDE still play with Legos if they didn't charge that much for little pieces of plastic

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Where do you get the special edition Technic kits from Lego or can you order from your local store?

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

cool never seen that before

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Greetings from the country of Lego - it´s expensive here as w(h)ell.
Gone fishing

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I still have several Technic kits, boxes and catalogs from when I was a kid. I remember them being expensive 20 years ago and the prices are still up there.

I was interested in the huge Star Wars kits that I saw at a local hobby shop/toy store, until I asked about the prices.

The Death Star with 3,802 pieces and the Super Star Destroyer with 3,152 pieces are each about $400. :shock:

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Love that truck, but I missed the chance :roll: I do have the Technic off road truck that came out a few years ago. I also have the entire classic space sets from 1979-82. When fully built up, it is very cool!!, I build it up every now and then, If I do it this year, I take a few pic's :wink:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

romulus22 wrote:IDE still play with Legos if they didn't charge that much for little pieces of plastic
Exactly. When "toys" eventually get so expensive that only full-time working adults can afford them, they're not really "toys" anymore.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GreenHell
Approved Member

Post by GreenHell »

I was really into legos as a child and now that I have a kid I get to relive them all over again. We sit on the floor and build for hours, it's the only toy that keeps his attention for any great length of time.
"All I wanted was a Pepsi..."

My Gallery | My Feedback | Rapid_RC

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

Dirtdiver wrote:Where do you get the special edition Technic kits from Lego or can you order from your local store?
Special editions don't come out very often but when they do, they can be purchased direct from Lego's online store. There are some kits that are available in Europe that are not available in the US (like all the great 1:1 vehicles), those must be shopped for on ebay at higher prices. I feel the Technic kits pecked during the mid to late 90's as far as cool kits with standard pieces. Now most of the kits do look and function better but have "one-off" custom pieces just for that model.
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

I still have a big tub of legos in storage. The one kit I always wanted was the Silver Champion

Whats funny is this thing is big enough that you could stuff some electronics from an rc into it.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

DMAT wrote:I still have a big tub of legos in storage. The one kit I always wanted was the Silver Champion

Whats funny is this thing is big enough that you could stuff some electronics from an rc into it.

Very nice DMAT, a good friend of mine has that silver champ as well, if you still have the box, and paper work, it can only add to the value, I've seen those kit on the upwards of a grand!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That's cool, but is that even Lego anymore? :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

yep, its made of a lot of the basic technic parts. It was an early 2000's car so most parts could go to other kits too.

During the 2002 year is when all that one off parts started becoming a regular thing with models. Its ridiculous how much the basic technic stuff was capable of. I think in my early teens. I took all my technic parts and made an air craft frame with the cockpit's joystick actually controlling all fins through the plane. Then I just used my normal legos to make a solid surface all round the rest of it.

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

My favorite technic kit I actually owned was the red dirtbike from the early 90's. I wanted the giant red car with suspension but it was way too expensive.