They're Breeding! - Works '92 Joins The Fleet

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sludgeguts
Approved Member

They're Breeding! - Works '92 Joins The Fleet

Post by sludgeguts »

Bagged myself another Yoke! :D This time a Super Dogfighter Works 92 which has been heavily modified. When I say heavily modified I mean it has a ton of work done on it. To that end I'll copy and paste the seller's description:

This is my sale for a Yokomo Dogfighter Works 92 Spec. It was bought brand new by myself from Otley Modelsport in 1992, which is why I m still in possession of the original box, original 1991 instructions which came with the car along with the 1992 upgrade instructions. This car was raced in the BRCA regionals for about 3-4 years by myself, winning many A-finals and enjoying some regional series wins along the way too. A some point in 1994 I think it was, I borrowed a friends new Dogfighter works spec, and copied the chassis, the shock mounts, and the top chassis deck, and the battery hold downs, and had them made in fibreglass. This allowed the car a better weight distribution compared with the old chassis layout. I also modified the wishbone layout, incorporating RPM resin front arms, and the Yokomo Works 94 rear wishbones. It handled extremely well in this guise. The car has also had tungsten carbide diff balls fitted, and Jammin diff halves which were lightened and balanced. The wheels fitted to this car are JC Racing wheels which are rare now. These are fitted to the car using blue hubs and one piece nuts, as per the works cars of later years, used by Drescher and Hirosaker. I believe these are Suzuki items, but I could be wrong. The front hub carriers were replaced with RPM units which adjust the castor angle, making for a more aggressive front end handling. Also all the turnbuckles were replaced with titanium Yokomo units. To aid the handling, I replaced the shock absorbers with what I considered to be the best dampers around at the time, which are Traxxas units. The fronts of which are intermediate units, longer than the original and allowing more adjustment on the handling. The car is obviously fully ball raced, and the standard slipper clutch is present, which tube fair, was tightened up and left alone. The body shell was professionally painted by the father of Stuart Wood. I chose a design from the works drivers of 1994 and he copied it exactly. And because I hardly used the car before quitting, the shell is in great condition. The eagle eyed will notice the shell is from an earlier YZ-10.
There are 'a lot' of parts with this car. I have tried to encompass these in the pictures. There are many different shock mounts as I did like to experiment with different set-ups. The original shock mounts are here too. There are some top chassis decks, one of which is a rare Jammin upgraded unit, and also the original top deck. There are the original Yokomo wheel hubs, which I believe are ultra rare now. There is also the original shockers requiring attention, and a spare diff housing. The original diff housings are also present, original front uprights, original hub carriers, original battery straps, spare set of original drive shafts and also the original body shell which was also custom painted.

So lets have a look at it then:
phpuMvfpGAM.jpg
phpeLxZ8TAM.jpg
phpHigVELAM.jpg
phpgK0WgAAM.jpg
phpyywT8NAM.jpg
phpzqkHrhAM.jpg
phpKQPPi1AM.jpg
phpjfVJp1AM.jpg

So far I've just added the black dish wheels as I don't really like the JC spoked wheels. I'm torn between keeping it as it is or returning it back to standard spec. I'd be interested to hear what you all think on that matter.

ralphee
Approved Member

Re: They're Breeding! - Works '92 Joins The Fleet

Post by ralphee »

Lol, lovely Mark, i tried to buy the susp arms off the same fella lol.

Lee

upforit365
Approved Member

Post by upforit365 »

Having been building a few '91, '92 cars recently from parts I have been acquiring (pics will follow when I get a chance), I would say keep it as it is. Trying to get it back to standard will take time and a bit of money as parts for those models are getting harder to come by.

It's nice to see something that is a change from the norm....Have you run it yet?

sludgeguts
Approved Member

Post by sludgeguts »

I am leaning towards keeping as it is now. As it is, it's very unique and does have a bit of racing pedigree so it would be a shame to mess with that. Only thing I am thinking of doing is adding a Fibre-Lyte carbon chassis, we'll see.

Not run it yet but as I only need to add an ESC (got a period correct Tekin 420f to stick in), steering servo and radio gear, it would be rude not to give it an occasional blast. :D

sludgeguts
Approved Member

Post by sludgeguts »

The new JC Racing rims certainly brighten it up:
phpjZbguqPM.jpg
phpsvwshoPM.jpg
Every vintage Yoke should have lurid coloured wheels :D

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Looks great Mark, never been a fan of this body, always counted it as fugly.......but i have to admit, thats a pretty looking dog!

lee

sludgeguts
Approved Member

Post by sludgeguts »

You know what Lee, I was all set to change the body for the original style item but the looks of this car, as it stands, have really grown on me. As it is now I'm really happy with how it looks so it'll be staying as is, including all the modifications. Just need to fit electrics now. :D

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

It is a seriously tweaked car mate, yeah, why not, its got some history for sure, should handle well.

lee

59burst
Approved Member

Post by 59burst »

it's interesting the way front shock tower mounted along withe the shock towers themselves. it's a nice yoke you got there

sludgeguts
Approved Member

Post by sludgeguts »

Thanks :D Yes it's a lovely looking buggy with some very interesting modifications, all of which look good and work well. A credit to it's previous and original owner and great addition to my collection.

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

59burst wrote:it's interesting the way front shock tower mounted along withe the shock towers themselves. it's a nice yoke you got there
Rear bulkhead on the front?
:shock:

sludgeguts
Approved Member

Post by sludgeguts »

Alex B wrote:
59burst wrote:it's interesting the way front shock tower mounted along withe the shock towers themselves. it's a nice yoke you got there
Rear bulkhead on the front?

Not quite. The front bulkhead is where it should be but the shock tower is mounted on a sleeve which brings the tower forward so everything matches up.