What was your first Radio Control Vehicle.

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC Chick
Approved Member

Re: What was your first Radio Control Vehicle.

Post by RC Chick »

Tadracket wrote:
Halgar wrote:
Tadracket wrote:You can only do so much at 13, hiding in the closet
Ok, HOLD ON!! This is getting into the realm of way too much information! :shock: :shock:

:wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hope you had a good trip Tad. Welcome back.
Glad to be back. Turkey break could have been better. Thursday went really good, but really busy. Found out Friday though that the wifes granny, who practically raised her, was hospitalized Friday afternoon. I have spent the last 3 days with the wife trying to keep her mind from dwelling on it.

Granny lives 1000 miles away in Chicago and is 91 years young. She has been ready to pass beyong the rim for several years now. The wife is taking it hard because granny has not seen my 2 year old and she keeps telling Kelly she wants to before she dies.

Tough stuff but anyway, had to get that off my chest. And I knew you would say something about the 13 year old closet thing :lol:
I'll learn to shut the door next time. I meant that figuratively. Crap, I just did it again, didn't I?
Hang in there Tad best wishes to you and your wife.

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

Does anyone here remember The Panda cars?? Before I got my 10T I had two of them the stadium truck and the stock car. I loved that stock car it was pretty fast(as fast as a 27t motor can go for a 15year old) I also had a Blackfoot beofre the pandas that I traded for a BMX bike (Gt Dyno). Man I wish I still had those cars now. I gave them to a kid years ago, hmmm wonder if he still has them.

Camshaft
Approved Member

Post by Camshaft »

I had wanted a real RC car ever since I can remember, I recalled seeing them racing in parking lot outside of the hobby shop I now work at in my early youth. Fast-forward several years later, I had just started eighth grade in the big high school. I went to the library during my study hall, and read RCCA. There was an ad for MicroSizers, I ended up ordering the Japanese Tomy Bit Char-G Project D set. Several micros later, I got my first "real" RC car, a Team Losi XXX-NT. I tried to make an aluminum skid plate for the front in metal shop, but someone stole the original. The truck is stuffed in a clost somewhere. A few years after that, I got back into the hobby with my Lunch Box.

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

What one of these you mean?
And theres a Panda buggy on the bay now somewhere
never got hold of a stock car although two sold last week
I had another Danny Thomson, but sadly sold it
And a NIB project missing one wheel but I bought some Kyosho Testarossa ones and no tank but one of the trucks will donate I'm sure

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

I don't know what my first radio controlled cars were, one was 4wd and lasted one run before I'd stripped the gears the replacement was a 2wd buggy which was red and was indestructable!

The next car was a second hand Tamiya Hornet which I still have and am restoring with a bajillion hop-ups...I believe Shodog beat me out on the ball diff. I was hoping to buy for it off ebay, Grrrrrrr.

oldskool

Post by oldskool »

My first, a Subaru Brat when I was in elementary school. Since then, I've had:
Frog (bought that from a fellow 6th grader)
Sand Scorcher (wish I still had that but I do have the original body)
Hirobo Rock'n City (think I still have that somewhere, but it isn't complete)
Optima (sold to get a mid)
Optima Mid (still have that)
Yokomo Dog Fighter (dunno what happened to this...I have the box though)
RC10 (with MIP trans, sold that to a friend)
Yokomo Super Dog Fighter/YZ10 (still have that)
Schumacher Cat (sold to get the Super Dog Fighter)
Midnight Pumpkin (think I cracked the chassis)
RC10 with graphite chassis and trailing arms (got it somewhere)

My brother had:
Stryker (think I have it)
Blackfoot (have it)
Tamiya Mini Cooper (have it)

I just added an RC10 B3 to my fleet. I wanted to make sure I still had the "hands" and the patience for the hobby. In retrospect, I should have stuck with my 6 gear RC10 and Optima Mid!

One Eyed

Post by One Eyed »

I have just began the getting back into the RC10 renovations, and thought I would finally get invoved in the posts. All of the posts have been very helpful, since it has been over ten years since last tinkering with my first RC10 gold tub.

My first radio control vehicle was a RC10 gold pan many years ago, but a coworker and myself have decided to get the old cars out and do a little renovations to run again. My coworker is going to fix up his old grasshopper from the mid 80's.

I have purchased a used futaba magnum jr. to replace a broken one, and only need to retrofit the RC10 with some new tires. Can't wait to get it on the track again. Thanks again to all the posters for all the help so far.

I will get some photos of the classic loaded as soon as I get it up and running.

bgruen
Approved Member

Post by bgruen »

Tamiya Hornet, back when I was 13 in 1985. A neighbor of mine had a Frog and there was a new housing community going up across the street. We had various dirt pits to play in for about a year.

Mine was Box Art black, and I stuffed a 550 sized Kyosho mod motor in it along with a 7 cell battery and rear brat tires. Used to go through front tires and mechanical speed controllers on a regular basis...

2nd car was a gold tub RC10, followed by a Kyosho fantom and then an AYK Radient Pro. I still have a fantom, but the one ways never held together, so its just sitting in a box in my garage.

Bob
Writer, producer, and director of The Hobby Stop:

Available on:
  • Amazon
  • iTunes
  • Google Play
  • YouTube Movies
  • Microsoft Store / X-Box

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

mine was a corvette that went straight when moving forward then turned in reverse never liked the reverse much... i remember being taken to a offroad track by my brother where i saw my first tenth scale buggy racing they looked huge and so fast....from memory there where superchamps scorpions f100's etc. many years later i got my first 10th a marui hunter which i built and was very fond of went to my local track the brisbane entertainment centre where in my first race i was placed at the back of the field because i was new...the race started and over the first jump the other cars crashed and i went straight into the lead from which i was never passed... it started to rain and my speed control was shorting out also due to lack of maintanence and bad contact no doubt so the buggy would stop and start but my lead was to big by this stage and i won my first ever race that i was in i was stoked here is my new built hunter
Attachments
144_4417.JPG
new built hunter
144_4417.JPG (143.98 KiB) Viewed 822 times
new built hunter
new built hunter
144_4417.JPG (143.98 KiB) Viewed 822 times
144_4418.JPG
marui hunter with same period sanwa beat 2 that i owned
144_4418.JPG (145.77 KiB) Viewed 823 times
144_4418.JPG (145.77 KiB) Viewed 823 times

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

purpletimbo wrote:What one of these you mean?
And theres a Panda buggy on the bay now somewhere
never got hold of a stock car although two sold last week
I had another Danny Thomson, but sadly sold it
And a NIB project missing one wheel but I bought some Kyosho Testarossa ones and no tank but one of the trucks will donate I'm sure

Yeah but the electric one.