RC12i Restore ****Finished!****

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Seabass
Business Member

Re: Minty RC12i --Updated 9-29-12--

Post by Seabass »

Very nice work indeed. Even better you actually put pwer to the car and got to drive it around. Thanks for sharing pics and the video.

Jake

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Re: Minty RC12i --Updated 9-29-12--

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

bigjeepzz wrote:Very nice work indeed. Even better you actually put pwer to the car and got to drive it around. Thanks for sharing pics and the video.

Jake
Thanks Jake! I do like my cars to be capable of running even if they will be shelfers.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Re: RC12i Restore

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Time to finish up this one too. :mrgreen:

Ran across this photo on the web and it really grew on me. What do you think about this paint job? I'm really digging it myself. I can get the Associated repro decals too. Won't do that funky orange wing though.

Got a mod motor to restore too. Already started the tear down. The road rash is no problem to fix.

And another TOJ rough cut. Just need to reposition the antenna and T-4.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

The red and white looks great but it's begging for a square with stars :mrgreen:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Very nice build as usual! Is that buggy wing from TBG?

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

slotcarrod wrote:Very nice build as usual! Is that buggy wing from TBG?
Thanks Rod! The wing is an original Associated part. I've actually decided to use it on my buggy instead of the 12i since I hate cutting out wings and bodies. :P I've got a 1/12 wing to put on this one.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Time to finish this build! After much thought I decided to go with a TBG Lola body. Aside from a few sticker sheets I have everything to finish her off. Hopefully I'll have it ready for paint this weekend.

Work in progress shots. Please excuse my dust and disorderliness. I'm still tweaking on it.

I re-drew the wheel arches with a pen and cut them out with a dremel to more closely match the real car. Velocity stacks were cut from aluminum tubing and fluted with a body hammer and tap. One fell behind my workbench so please excuse it's absence for the photos. :mrgreen: I'll dig it out later.

It will have big lexan wing that hugs the body. I'll probably go with assoc. aluminum wing buttons.

Still some minor shaping to do on the body but it's nearly where I want it. I hate cutting out bodies! :evil:

This is the paint scheme except the nose and wing will be black instead of blue. I'll see if I can find some small vinyl letters for the McLaren logo.

The mod motor is now restored too. No more road rash! I opened up the can and gave it a light cleaning and lube. It still looked like new inside so I guess it didn't see much use.

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

How do you get the wheels so clean and white? Even ones sealed in the bag I purchased look crappy.
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

esaresky75 wrote:How do you get the wheels so clean and white? Even ones sealed in the bag I purchased look crappy.

I soaked all the parts including the wheels in hydrogen peroxide. I put them in clear plastic cups filled with peroxide and left them in the sun for a few hours. It works fairly quickly. For really stubborn yellowed parts it might take a bit longer. I might add that I soaked the wheel rims only. New tires were mounted afterward.

There is a thread here:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14978

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Did the wheels have the dark stains? That's what I always fight- especially on the original kit wheels and rear bulkheads.

What a beauty! Wish I had that attention to detail!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

gomachv wrote:Did the wheels have the dark stains? That's what I always fight- especially on the original kit wheels and rear bulkheads.

What a beauty! Wish I had that attention to detail!
I think you're pretty much screwed if you have the wheels with dark stains. I think the dark stains are from a certain type of tire glue Associated used. I have some that have blue stains too. I haven't found any way to remove those stains at all even with sanding. I got lucky a while back and ended up with several sets of 1/12 wheels so I've just been going through them and picking out the best ones for my projects. The ones with dark stains I've set aside to be chromed or painted with Alclad II like I did on my 12e runner.

oca1
Approved Member

Post by oca1 »

Nice restoration job!

What percentage of hydrogen peroxide do you use to soak the parts and how did you get rid of the motor road rash?

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

oca1 wrote:Nice restoration job!

What percentage of hydrogen peroxide do you use to soak the parts and how did you get rid of the motor road rash?

Thanks oca1! I used regular old Target brand 3%. I've heard of people using stronger but I could never find anything more than 3%. It's strong enough to do the job though.

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Really nice restore...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

REMJ666 wrote:Really nice restore...
Thanks man! I'm going to start the paint work today so should have an update soonish. :mrgreen: