my custom RC10GT

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

skinvandal

my custom RC10GT

Post by skinvandal »

Been buying aftermarket aluminum parts here & there to build a new all metal GT, so far this is as far as I got 2nite.
Any advice or recommendations on this aluminum rebuild process is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
More aluminum parts by GPM except the nose brace tube mounts, them are by Hardcore racing
More aluminum parts by GPM except the nose brace tube mounts, them are by Hardcore racing
GPM racing steering assembly
GPM racing steering assembly

T Diddy

Re: my custom RC10GT

Post by T Diddy »

Looks awesome. Are you gonna run it? Because the only suggestions I could give if you are is metal on metal tends to part ways with vibration. I've heard that, on different models, the all aluminum looks cool but does not perform very well...I am speaking mostly from RC helis, but also some micro trucks...I could be wrong. But it looks awesome....I have always loved the look of lots of shiny metal.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

skinvandal wrote:Any advice or recommendations.
First part of the advice is don't try to run it unless mild run around the yard or something for what purposes Tdiddy already went for. Metal on metal has no real weak point so major detonation happens at full tilt mistakes.

Secondly keep building. They look killer when done. I did up one way back and got lucky that someone wanted it way more than I did when I got done. Paid me almost twice what I had into it. Ah, the memories of gool old gas truck days :wink:

Lastly, reinforce a shelf and prop that badboy up on it when done. It'll be heavy :mrgreen:

Keep progress pix coming...

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

skinvandal

Post by skinvandal »

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I wont be running it all crazy track style. Maybe run it as my "sunday car" down my street just to see it run & thats about it. It's mainly just for show since i like the metal look, something nice to put on my "reinforced" shelf ya know. I was thinking of putting an O.S. .15 CV-X motor that I already have but being that it will be all metal maybe an .18 to push all that metal?? like I said I wont be doing no racing or track stuff but i wouldnt wanna mess up my .15 by overworking it or do you think it can push all thatweight at full throttle??
I'll post more pics soon once i continue the process AFTER I get back from the RC expo this weekend! woo hoooo!!

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

It's all about gear ratio and carburator setup (top end mostly) if you don't want to fry your OS.

Funny as everyone says "don't run it" as it was going to be my first comment anyway. It sounds like you're really building the perfect shelfer, and the most terrible runner. It isn't just about vibrations but everything else. The wear of metal/metal friction. The total absence of flexibility that makes handling jittery. The fact there's no fuse in any assembly chain to swallow the strength of an impact in case there's one (there's always one, even when bashing around in your street) especially as the vehicule then becomes 50% heavier than the stock one...

All metal builds are gorgeous to look at, but certainly not to be run ;) Still looking forward to the finished product, though!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.