"what is the nature of the hobby"

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

longboardnj
Approved Member

"what is the nature of the hobby"

Post by longboardnj »

i got this question and i wanted to post it cause i thught it would bring up alot of funny rc stories.. so "what is the nature of the hobby"??

Jirka
Approved Member

Re: "what is the nature of the hobby"

Post by Jirka »

And are there any other hobbies what have this same "nature" as ours?

Jirka

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

The nature of the hobby is that adults own the cars and never race them.
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I play the drums and I can't imagine a much more abusive-to-the-equipment hobby, and I NEVER see "Due to the nature of the hobby..." on cymbals & drum-related items on eBay.

It also pisses me off when someone's auction description clearly states "As is"--or the item is brand new or NIP--yet they feel the need to toss in the obligatory "Due to the nature of the hobby...". If the item is sold as is or is new, the nature of the hobby has SFA to do with it. :roll:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

the nature is crappy buyers trying to back out after recieving the item or something like that.

i had one guy give me a hard time because the body clips were different sizes and i had to mail him body clips in order to get positive feedback.
(they were the clips on it when i got it)

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

kaiser wrote:the nature is crappy buyers trying to back out after recieving the item or something like that.
exactly.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That's the nature of crappy buyers though, not a blanket statement to describe the entire hobby. Frankly, if I see "due to the nature of the hobby" anywhere in someone's auction description, I'll be damned sure to have a GOOD LONG LOOK at every picture before buying--and even then, I'd be doubtful. Because sellers who use that phrase might just be looking for an out to sell something that might be questionable that's not shown in the pictures, that phrase is the perfect "I can get away with anything" loophole.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

After replying in the other post about this I would say that the ONLY time I would ever use that would be for electronics or nitro motors. When I sold that hobbico field charger a couple months back I didn't use that phrase because personally I hate it. But I used the charger before I sent it out and knew it worked but when he got it the charger blew the fuse. New owner decided to put a new automotive fuse in it(pry way too big of a fuse) and then proceded to 'smoke' the charger. I have no idea if he hooked up something wrong or not but I know it worked on my end.

I guess the moral of this post is you can't fix stupid so people might just try to cover their ass with that phrase...but who am I kidding, most have no clue to what they are saying after copying/pasting it in their auctions :|

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

kaiser wrote:the nature is crappy buyers trying to back out after recieving the item or something like that.

i had one guy give me a hard time because the body clips were different sizes and i had to mail him body clips in order to get positive feedback.
(they were the clips on it when i got it)
:lol: :lol: the nature of ebay :lol: :lol:

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Due to the nature of the hobby this is being sold As-Is. sums up every problem.. "i hit the curb and the rc i bought from you is broken after the first run" sorry thats the nature of the hobby .. "i didnt get body pins with the car"sorry it was sold as is..your buying used toys if you want perfect new stuff with no problems buy new.. im in sales i know the only guarantee in life is there is no guarantees.. ive bought crap rcs that i thought were good on this site and ebay ,thats life..
i posted this cause i was trying to help a friend sell some rc stuff on ebay by putting his listings in the rc10talk ebay section. the sad part was the only thing he got was ball bustin about having "Due to the nature of the hobby this is being sold As-Is" in his listing.. if you dont know the nature of the hobby maybe you should spend less time on rc10talk bustin balls and spend more time using rcs and find out for yourself..

Jayar
Approved Member

Post by Jayar »

"Due to the nature of the hobby i will not accept any returns."
Now theres a red flag.
When i see it I move on,
But when i see "returns not accepted" I pay no mind.
For some reason the first one sounds shady as in a Unscrupulous car salesman lines.
It's like those commercials on the radio with the fast talking disclaimers that turn me off and in turn i turn them off.
That's all i got to say bout that.
J.R.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Exactly what Jayar said, he hit the same nail on the head that I did. If I see "Due to the nature of the hobby", I almost immediately get suspicious and will look & think long and hard before pulling the trigger. So, those of you who use that phrase when it's totally redundant and unnecessary, you might want to think about cautious potential buyers passing on your goods. 8)

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

"Due to the nature of the hobby I have taken four detailed pictures, none of which show the massive damage to the right front end that I caused due to driving inebriated at 2 o'clock at night on Sunday while standing half-naked (guess which half?!?) on the roof of my truck doused in chicken blood and causing a ruckus after which my neighbours called the cops who showed up with four patrol cars and told me to step down and drop the remote, which I refused, instead driving my car over a ramp and launching it into the leading officer's head. Using the resulting confusion, my RC car and I escaped and are currently hiding in the rundown barn at 45 Grange Street. That dark red stain with pink and white little bits mixed in on the front of the truck is due to a spray can mishap, and, I must stress this, not the result of the top-speed impact with the officer's head. Please buy my evidently excellent truck at the low, low buy-it-now price of 4500 bucks.

Shipping will be by Feds Ex, at the cost of the buyer. Non-paying buyers will face charges, and so will I."

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Wheres the other 5 threads on this topic? :P

At the bottom of all my auctions I state that the item is being sold as-is, and yes its to cover my ass from buyers. It started some years ago when I sold an arcade machine PCB. The machine worked great but the cab had water damage so I decided to part it out. Well the buyer claimed the PCB didn't work and demanded a refund which I refused. They opened a case with eBay who sided with them all because I didn't include "as-is" in the auction. :roll:

I do like how "no returns accepted" sounds. I might just replace as-is with "There are no returns or refunds accepted on this item." I don't mind if someone skips over my auction because of that. For every person who does there is another who won't.

I completely loath the "Due to the nature of the/this hobby." ridiculousness though! :x

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Um..... are you at all related to Thumbs???????????
EvolutionRevolution wrote:"Due to the nature of the hobby I have taken four detailed pictures, none of which show the massive damage to the right front end that I caused due to driving inebriated at 2 o'clock at night on Sunday while standing half-naked (guess which half?!?) on the roof of my truck doused in chicken blood and causing a ruckus after which my neighbours called the cops who showed up with four patrol cars and told me to step down and drop the remote, which I refused, instead driving my car over a ramp and launching it into the leading officer's head. Using the resulting confusion, my RC car and I escaped and are currently hiding in the rundown barn at 45 Grange Street. That dark red stain with pink and white little bits mixed in on the front of the truck is due to a spray can mishap, and, I must stress this, not the result of the top-speed impact with the officer's head. Please buy my evidently excellent truck at the low, low buy-it-now price of 4500 bucks.

Shipping will be by Feds Ex, at the cost of the buyer. Non-paying buyers will face charges, and so will I."
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!