Scored a Kyosho Ultima @LHS

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

joel45acp
Approved Member

Scored a Kyosho Ultima @LHS

Post by joel45acp »

I just purchased an Ultima from my LHS for $40 ready to run. The tires appear brand new or have very little use. I want to upgrade the shocks and brushed motor with a brushless setup and race it. Hehehehe. Currently, the brushed motor has a 16T pinion. What do you gents suggest? Sorry for the fuzzy pic. Image
In Christ,

Joel C.

lebowski770
Approved Member

Re: Scored a Kyosho Ultima @LHS

Post by lebowski770 »

40-bucks is a steal for that setup!! :mrgreen:

joel45acp
Approved Member

Post by joel45acp »

I have to agree too lebowski770. I'm not partial to anything other than RC10s but this one caught my eye and the price was the deal maker. I'm not familiar with Kyosho buggies but this one looks like it might make a neat racer with a mild brushless setup. I tore it down last night to give it a good cleaning and now putting it back together. I'm a bit stumped though on the gear ratio of the tranny and I'm not sure where to start with gearing for the brushless motor. I'm thinking of a 17.5 to 13.5 turn BL with NiMH batteries to keep it mild.
In Christ,

Joel C.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

if it's a 32dp spur I'd say go 14 teeth, maybe 1 or 2 up; to make it less aggresive

joel45acp
Approved Member

Post by joel45acp »

Mr ED, it is a 32dp gears. The only one I could find was a 16T. I'm thinking if I stay below a 3000KV brushless I should be fine or do you think different? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
In Christ,

Joel C.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

When I got my first ultima (a pro) it had the metric variety of 48dp, called M0.6 or M0.5? Anyway, just to say I have raced these cars for near 2 decades now and still have little clue on the 32dp pinions to use 'cause I simply never used any. A firend did have a 15T pinion in his car on arace not long ago and it seemed ok.

With the endless runtimes of lipo's and current batteries it has become more difficult to estimate the right gearing. In the past the right gear was the one that got you around a dirt track for 5, later 8 minutes. In 32dp and with the intrnal ratio of those gearboxes a teeth more or less would make a minute difference easily.

lebowski770
Approved Member

Post by lebowski770 »

joel45acp wrote:I have to agree too lebowski770. I'm not partial to anything other than RC10s but this one caught my eye and the price was the deal maker. I'm not familiar with Kyosho buggies but this one looks like it might make a neat racer with a mild brushless setup. I tore it down last night to give it a good cleaning and now putting it back together. I'm a bit stumped though on the gear ratio of the tranny and I'm not sure where to start with gearing for the brushless motor. I'm thinking of a 17.5 to 13.5 turn BL with NiMH batteries to keep it mild.

I'm currently working on Kyosho ultima pro project (just waiting for steering linkage to come in from ebay) I am using a novak losi ESC with a brushed 18-turn motor.

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Great Score.

I've raced my Ultima for the past 2 yrs with a 13t/3000kv Ez Run set up. I ran it in mod at the last vintage festival here. It was so good to drive and did wheel stand a little at full speed down the straight but was controllable .

I run good Li Po's. 2.2 wheels all round with team CRP front stub axles to run Tamiya front wheels. ( Still available ) The Turbo Shock towers make a huge difference . Gives more rear traction due to better roll centers . Better Gold shocks.

Oh the pinion i run is the biggest one i can fit in. Not sure what it is sorry.

The rear wing is mounted to low in stock form. I have just made a new wing mount with a good wing and the rear traction is way better . Did Back to back testing.

Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html