1/12 Scale Chassis ID Help....Please!

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

NüMatt

1/12 Scale Chassis ID Help....Please!

Post by NüMatt »

So I picked up this chassis along with an RC12LC and RC12L3 chassis. This one I can't seem to ID. It appears to be graphite as opposed to carbon fiber, and the holes for the front suspension don't seem to match up to the 12L holes, so I suspect it isn't AE. Anybody have any thoughts?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/t7w8gT_SjeGEy3FHhdm6HGNRwGStGt1ajLp9suI5i-w?feat=directlink

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Re: 1/12 Scale Chassis ID Help....Please!

Post by Jay Dub »

Cool looking chassis, but can't help with the ID. However, I feel the need to correct something in your statement. You noted that the chassis looks to be graphite insted of carbon fiber. The difference (for all intensive purposes) between the two is only the tepmerature that they are carburized at. CF about 2000 degees, and the graphite fiber at 3000 degrees. They are both fibers, and can be used interchangeably in manufacturing. So really there is no way tell visually which is which. I have seen unidirectional fiber (which is what the surface you have on that chassis is) in both materials, as well as the woven cloth (the other chassis you have) in both. From an engineering standpoint however the unidirectional cloths are far superior for structural applications. Note: most of your chassis plates and plate material will be unidirectional layers laminated in a "quai-isotropic" orientaion to provide the best stiffness to weight ratio, and only have woven finish layers for looks. Technically this could mean that you have a graphite chassis with CF top and bottom (on the woven versions not in the picture). More than likelly the chassis you have in the pics is a stiffer stronger counterpart to the woven chassis that aren't in the picture. Sorry for the lecture :lol: . -Jeff

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Looks kinda like a Trinity Magic Carpet Ride

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

NüMatt

Post by NüMatt »

Hmm... Thanks for all that....I think! :lol: Actually, I do find that educational. In my mind I see woven and that's what I consider carbon fiber, because that's what I'm familiar with in terms of the automotive world. I will say you pretty much lost me at the quasi-isotropic part, but I'll just say I got the gist of it :lol:
Jay Dub wrote:Cool looking chassis, but can't help with the ID. However, I feel the need to correct something in your statement. You noted that the chassis looks to be graphite insted of carbon fiber. The difference (for all intensive purposes) between the two is only the tepmerature that they are carburized at. CF about 2000 degees, and the graphite fiber at 3000 degrees. They are both fibers, and can be used interchangeably in manufacturing. So really there is no way tell visually which is which. I have seen unidirectional fiber (which is what the surface you have on that chassis is) in both materials, as well as the woven cloth (the other chassis you have) in both. From an engineering standpoint however the unidirectional cloths are far superior for structural applications. Note: most of your chassis plates and plate material will be unidirectional layers laminated in a "quai-isotropic" orientaion to provide the best stiffness to weight ratio, and only have woven finish layers for looks. Technically this could mean that you have a graphite chassis with CF top and bottom (on the woven versions not in the picture). More than likelly the chassis you have in the pics is a stiffer stronger counterpart to the woven chassis that aren't in the picture. Sorry for the lecture :lol: . -Jeff

NüMatt

Post by NüMatt »

Right on Charlie...thanks for that. Now that I know what I've got I can figure out where to go with it. Thanks!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

NüMatt wrote:Hmm... Thanks for all that....I think! :lol: Actually, I do find that educational. In my mind I see woven and that's what I consider carbon fiber, because that's what I'm familiar with in terms of the automotive world. I will say you pretty much lost me at the quasi-isotropic part, but I'll just say I got the gist of it :lol:
Jay Dub wrote:Cool looking chassis, but can't help with the ID. However, I feel the need to correct something in your statement. You noted that the chassis looks to be graphite insted of carbon fiber. The difference (for all intensive purposes) between the two is only the tepmerature that they are carburized at. CF about 2000 degees, and the graphite fiber at 3000 degrees. They are both fibers, and can be used interchangeably in manufacturing. So really there is no way tell visually which is which. I have seen unidirectional fiber (which is what the surface you have on that chassis is) in both materials, as well as the woven cloth (the other chassis you have) in both. From an engineering standpoint however the unidirectional cloths are far superior for structural applications. Note: most of your chassis plates and plate material will be unidirectional layers laminated in a "quai-isotropic" orientaion to provide the best stiffness to weight ratio, and only have woven finish layers for looks. Technically this could mean that you have a graphite chassis with CF top and bottom (on the woven versions not in the picture). More than likelly the chassis you have in the pics is a stiffer stronger counterpart to the woven chassis that aren't in the picture. Sorry for the lecture :lol: . -Jeff
the woven fabric that you are uaused to seeing is actually called 3k plainweave, you can go from 1k ( small pattern ) to 6k ( large pattern ) and tacsallium ( colors and metallics ) and herringbone patterns instead of the common checkerboard. And thats just an aesthetic top fabric!

Anyway, the MCR was a great car and they can still be found on the bay if you felt like building one you have a nice start!

trkneller
Approved Member

Post by trkneller »

Jay Dub wrote:The difference (for all intensive purposes) between ...
While we're doing 'educational sessions', the proper phrase is: "for all intents and purposes" and not the commonly misspoken "intensive purposes".

So, for all intents and purposes, I love this forum! :D

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

:lol: Thanks for that. I can't say i've ever seen it written (writed, wroten :?: :lol: ) before. -Jeff
P.S. Are we sure it isn't "Intensive Porpoises". I feel a band name coming on...

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

My "special purpose" has "intensive purposes" on "random occasions".

NüMatt

Post by NüMatt »

Come to RC10talk.com. They'll give you an edumacation on not just RC cars, but on spelling and grammar as well! :lol:

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

For all intensive purposes, that is a mute point....the ironing is delicious.

bladeszx2
Approved Member

Post by bladeszx2 »

You guys are killing me! :lol:
I am an RC Scalehead and I am proud of it!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

irregardless, supposably carbon fiber is the strongest, but it's hard to tell, so it's six and one half dozen

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

jwscab wrote:irregardless, supposably carbon fiber is the strongest, but it's hard to tell, so it's six and one half dozen

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually, genuine Graphite fiber has better rigidity but is more fractile-