rc10 dogbone question w/ pic

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sk7
Approved Member

rc10 dogbone question w/ pic

Post by sk7 »

i just put new dogbone springs and spacer on my rc10 , see how the dogbone looks like it almost comes out of the transmission, do all rc10s do this?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

the spacer is actually for the stealth trans, the spring is ok, though. the stealth outdrives are deeper than ones on the stock trans. you need a spacer that is half that width.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

You have too much down-travel in your shocks, You need to add some spacers to limit them. By the looks of the picture you will need at least 2 .030 spacers in each rear shock. In the picture it looks like the dogbones are rubbing on the suspension arm. All RC10's do do this, they are designed to have a certain amount of suspension travel. :)

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

a certain amount of suspension travel that needs to be reduced (you only need to place some O-rings on the shock shaft inside the shock body, that will fix it)

sk7
Approved Member

Post by sk7 »

thanks for the help, i sure the manual says to put the plastic spacers in the trans, but i ones i have are maybe stealth ones cause i just picked them up, but the part bag has the same number, i will just take out the plastic spacer on the trans, and put two o-rings.i'll try that

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

instead of taking the shocks apart to space them out, just move the lower shock position to the outer most hole. that might be enough to give you the clearance you need.

as for the spacer problem, if you don't have one that is the correct thickness, if you have a red shock o-ring, put that in the outdrive. that is about the thickness you need, anyway.

joeyskates
Approved Member

Post by joeyskates »

You definitely need to put the spacer in the shock as it says in the manual. From the picture you can already see that the outdrive is cutting into the A-arm and the dogbone may be rubbing against it too.

qctires
Approved Member

Shock position

Post by qctires »

If you relocate the shocks to the outer most arm, your rear suspension will become softer and might cause the front to push (under steer) .I suggest you use a piece of silicone fuel line.The one that they use on the gas cars and cut it to about 16 mm or say 5/8 of an inch and use it as the shoch shaft spacers.

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Shock position

Post by scr8p »

qctires wrote:If you relocate the shocks to the outer most arm, your rear suspension will become softer and might cause the front to push (under steer)
that's why the spring collars are adjustable.

Spiderman
Approved Member

Post by Spiderman »

qctires wrote:If you relocate the shocks to the outer most arm, your rear suspension will become softer and might cause the front to push (under steer)
actually your suspension will become stiffer if the shock is moved to the outer hole on the suspension arm.
i wouldnt use fuel tubing as a down stop for the shocks...................use something that wont compress..........unless its going to be a shelf queen.

qctires
Approved Member

Post by qctires »

Spiderman wrote:
actually your suspension will become stiffer if the shock is moved to the outer hole on the suspension arm.
i wouldnt use fuel tubing as a down stop for the shocks...................use something that wont compress..........unless its going to be a shelf queen.
I learned wrong probably. But anyway, here is a chart. Maybe I was thinking of a live axle not an IRS.

Northy
Approved Member

Post by Northy »

scr8p wrote:
that's why the spring collars are adjustable.
Explain please? The shock collars set the ride height, not the shock spring stiffness! :shock:

G

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

there was a mistake or two: if you relocate your shocks to the most outer hole on the A-arms, they will be stiffer (the physical lever effect), but if you change the angle on the shock tower, the more your shocks are at an angle, the more progressive they are (what's explained in the chart hereabove). The shock collars are indeed meant to set the ride height. Now, as for the mass transfer when cornering and/or braking, the more your front shocks are smooth, the more the mass transfer will operate and the more your car will corner or under-steer... that's it!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

a shock spring does not have the same progressive rate from extended to compressed. as you sqeeze them together, they get stiffer. that is why they come in different spring weights. so, if he would move the bottoms of the shock to the outside, if it softened the rear up, and the car devolped a push, he could move the collars down to stiffen the spring rate, which would loosen the car back up. springs are used to set ride height, but the collars are used to preload the springs.

Northy
Approved Member

Post by Northy »

scr8p wrote:springs are used to set ride height, but the collars are used to preload the springs.
I don't think so! :shock:

G