Will the Re-Re Madness ever stop?

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

civilguy
Approved Member

Re: Will the Re-Re Madness ever stop?

Post by civilguy »

My kids got into rc restoring one of my original Grasshoppers. If not for the re-releases we wouldn't have three runners... they bring a smile to everyone's face when they get played with. Of course things do break... and the re-re bonus is that I can order parts from my LHS for my 1980s Tamiyas. :wink:
My kids went on to build a re-re Frog I won at the 1st VONats and then I got them a re-re Lunchbox to build last winter. Tamiya has great instructions and well-manufactured kits... always have. To me, the older kits (re-re or not) have more of a 'fun' appeal than the generic buggys these days (B4, XXX, etc). Plus they are KITS! With so much RTR these days I like the option to have the kids build skills and patience actually assembling something. :)

I've always had rc's to play with... the one or two 'shelfers' I built in the past have all since been run. :shock: I never understood the idea of rc's as an investment, but to each his own. Personally I think the "re-re madness" just adds to the options available for a broad spectrum of rc fanatics.
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... I like the re-re's. All the Tamiya RC cars in the "80's" I couldn't afford but wanted so badly when I was kid, I can buy now. I have 42 RC vehicles and half of them are shelf queen's and always will be. I'm on a mission right now to collect all the TAMIYA RC cars I wanted from 1978-89. I've already got a Grasshopper, Grasshopper II, Hornet, Super Hornet, Blackfoot, Lunchbox, Madcap, Falcon, BigWig, Wild Willy. Everytime I see them on my display shelves, it brings back great childhood memories. For that it's worth it right there. :mrgreen: Still need to get a FROG, FOX, F.A.V, Wild One, Porche 959. Hotshot, Hotshot II, Boomerang, Avante.
102 RC vehicles and counting...

binjaloo

Post by binjaloo »

I say bring in all the re-res. I never had the chance to own a Tamiya RC when I was a kid (I got my first RC Car when I was already 21). Now I have the chance to buy and build all of these RC kits that I only used to see in Hobby Shop windows and Tamiya RC Catalogs.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I don't understand some of the price arguments that are going on. Saying how now that there are re-releases people have the chance to buy the vehicles they couldn't have as kids. You could buy the models you're after for the past 20+ years in any condition you wanted. The year the re-releases come out all of a sudden people have the money? I think I'm missing what trying to be implied in some of these posts.

besty22
Approved Member

Post by besty22 »

No disrespect but it sounds like you have never been short of a dollar, Lowgear. With a comment like that.
Respect - Hard Earned but Easily Lost

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I wasn't trying to take a crack at peoples financial situations. I bet you I'm the oldest person on here who has the least amount of money.

What I was trying to say is that some people (in general) are acting like now they can buy the R/C's they wanted as kids that they've been re-released. Sure people may of had to pay a little more prior to this but if they can save a couple hundred for a re-release now I'm sure they could of saved a little more and bought the kit of their dreams a few years ago when prices were lower.

But I suppose I should talk as like stated I normally have very little money. :( But then again its because of my own fault.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Lowgear wrote:I wasn't trying to take a crack at peoples financial situations. I bet you I'm the oldest person on here who has the least amount of money.
Hmm you might have some competition there from me. :) I don't even own an RC car newer than the mid-80's. I couldn't even come close to buying a crappy Traxxas RTR! I put the little money I had into building & restoring/modding cars I had from existing parts. :oops:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

I think it's the aspirational thing, couldn't afford to buy it NIB when a child, production stopped, NiB become expensive and then here comes the re re to make them more affordable when many of us are enjoying more disposable wealth.
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

besty22
Approved Member

Post by besty22 »

No worries. I suppose I am a bit too sensitive today.
We have had temps of 50 degrees celcius here today and it looks like all of my lipos have swelled in the heat. I can only hope they return to normal when they cool down. Otherwise 9 lipos go in the bin.
So money is on my mind today.
Respect - Hard Earned but Easily Lost

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

tamiya obviousley saw the ebay/yahoo market and thought wow! our old kit's are selling for a fortune they really are very popular indeed, hey lets re release them! which im sure has been a very profitable move for the company, so i doubt the madness will stop any time soon. :)

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

mrlexan wrote:Now I do enjoy some of the re-re's, but will it ever stop? It only bothers me as where is the originality and creativness? It's like all these movie re-makes. Can't we come up with something new? I guess for Tamiya it is good business sense, whereas new stuff costs money and isn't good biz sense. I wonder if any of it has to do with licensing fees in today's day and age?

Isn't this the second time they've re-re'd the Cosworth?
this may sound cheezy but i wish they still made the tires from this cosworth.. http://www.tamiyafr.lp-concept.info/images/modeles_100a200/58112.jpg
oh and long live the rere stuff .. i love livin in the past(things were fun and easy 8) ).. the best part is now instead of mscs i use escs.. instead of running 1 high $$$ 1700 and a few 1400 or 1200 nicads i can buy 4 1800 nicads for the price of the one 1700 i had back in the day...

proffesso
Approved Member

Post by proffesso »

GJW wrote:tamiya obviousley saw the ebay/yahoo market and thought wow! our old kit's are selling for a fortune they really are very popular indeed, hey lets re release them! which im sure has been a very profitable move for the company, so i doubt the madness will stop any time soon. :)
I just wish they would make the re-re's more interesting. the Avante was a decent shot, as the Sand Scorcher....but the holiday buggy? the tyrell p34's (76, 77) Wild Willy 2 etc all just shadows of their former selves.
I'm a retro radio control hipster - I only like the stuff no one bought!

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

scr8p wrote:they can't stop until the blackfoot comes back. after that, i could care less. :lol:

x2

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

fordtransman wrote:
scr8p wrote:they can't stop until the blackfoot comes back. after that, i could care less. :lol:

x2

X3 (if the Monster Beetle is included) :D
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »