Computer problem

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

transamman908
Approved Member

Computer problem

Post by transamman908 »

I have a small problem with my computer. Earlier today I noticed that the "click" sound went away while I was web surfing. I found out how to turn the click sound back on, but now i notice a very annoying delay of 5-10 seconds while clicking around from site to site or while looking at items on ebay which i never had before. I use internet explorer and have done all updates. I restarted, did a disk clean, deleted browsing history,deleted cookies and all I can think of and it still has a delay when clicking on a topic or website. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Computer problem

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Perform a right click when on your desktop, and go to your properties-then look in your hardware and or mouse/pointer options and you can change the mouse and actuation sounds, delays, etc

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Personally, that annoying "click click click" is the first thing I disable! I can't stand that sound! If you go in the Control Panel:

-Start > Settings > Control Panel

-Open "Sounds & Audio Devices"

-Click the "Sounds" tab

-In the "Program Events" section, scroll down to "Start Navigation", near the bottom and select it

-The "Sounds" box immediately below will indicate which sound file is associated with that event. I scroll to the top and select "None". The default is "Windows Navigation Start.wav", the clicky sound.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

transamman908 wrote:I have a small problem with my computer. Earlier today I noticed that the "click" sound went away while I was web surfing. I found out how to turn the click sound back on, but now i notice a very annoying delay of 5-10 seconds while clicking around from site to site or while looking at items on ebay which i never had before. I use internet explorer and have done all updates. I restarted, did a disk clean, deleted browsing history,deleted cookies and all I can think of and it still has a delay when clicking on a topic or website. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
Go to the last known good configuration. You should have a restore panel that you can revert your computer back to. Just select a date prior to your problems and send your CPU back in time.

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

Thanks for the replys to this. I'm still at it with this and can't seem to shake it. I did a system restore but may try to go back further in time. I ran serveral malware and virus programs and nothing is found. I un-installed internet explorer 8 and re-loaded it , but still have the slow loading and delay problem.
I have a odd pop up when i try to upload photos which started happining more and more lately. It reads "windows host process wants to open, allow or not". It may be a virus according to some vista forums but i have my doubts. I'm thinking that Internet explorer 8 is crap at this point. I've tried apple's Safari and was not happy. Looks like Mozilla is on the horizon for me. Just wish i could find the bad setting or problem in IE because thats what i'm used to for browsing...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

transamman908 wrote:Thanks for the replys to this. I'm still at it with this and can't seem to shake it. I did a system restore but may try to go back further in time. I ran serveral malware and virus programs and nothing is found. I un-installed internet explorer 8 and re-loaded it , but still have the slow loading and delay problem.
I have a odd pop up when i try to upload photos which started happining more and more lately. It reads "windows host process wants to open, allow or not". It may be a virus according to some vista forums but i have my doubts. I'm thinking that Internet explorer 8 is crap at this point. I've tried apple's Safari and was not happy. Looks like Mozilla is on the horizon for me. Just wish i could find the bad setting or problem in IE because thats what i'm used to for browsing...
Here's a test for you. I would like to know if the problem is only I.E., or Windows, because that click sound happens not just in I.E. when browsing, it's also supposed to happen when clicking on folders in Windows Explorer. As I mentioned previously, the "Navigation Click" sound is a Windows Sound Event, it's not just I.E. I would be interested to know if your clicking in folders makes the sound, but not in I.E.---which would point the finger at I.E. itself.

http://thebackroomtech.com/2009/01/29/howto-disable-the-clicking-sound-in-internet-explorer-and-windows-explorer/

I also learned that it's possible to configure I.E. not to play ANY sounds in webpages. Perhaps that could be the problem. It's easy enough to check:

1. Open I.E. Go to Tools> Internet Options.
2. Switch to the "Advanced" Tab.
3. Scroll down to the "Multimedia" sub-heading.
4. Make sure the box next to "Play sounds in web pages" is checked.
5. Click "OK". Restart Internet Explorer. Test to see if sounds will now play.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

The click sound is working fine now, even in windows explorer. I lost the click sound about 3 days ago. I was able to turn it back on without any problems. The problem I'm left with is a slow browser and this odd delay when you click on anything while browsing, plus slower than normal loading times. My internet connection is high speed cable and shows nothing in the form of a slow connection. I have a router which i tried unplugging and resetting, but no change.
I have 2 users on my computer. When I log off and use the other user name, all is well and nothing is wrong with I.E.
I tried reducing add on's, running with no add on's, cleared cookies, cleared history...so on. I'm ready to take over my wifes side of the computer :lol:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Since it's only affecting your profile, there might be spyware. It could be tracking what sites you're visiting, hence the delays when clicking. I find that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is particularly effective at getting rid of low-level malware, and is available free at www.malwarebytes.org. You can also download HijackThis!, a free tool that lets you see everything that's affected I.E., either overtly or covertly, every item that's plugged into I.E., all browser hijack objects, startup RUN keys, etc. It's an advanced tool so be sure you know what you're doing before you start unchecking items for removal.

Note that every individual Windows profile has it's own I.E. browser configuration. My suspicion that you have something malicious running unbeknownst-to-you is because other profiles load their instances of I.E. without any issues.