hot motor

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

campbuds
Approved Member

Re: hot motor

Post by campbuds »

I really wish I has a local track or place to go to run the car :(

my only off road is my back yard. (and it is tiny)

unfortunately I do not have another 27T motor to try. My only other motors are an 8T and a couple others I am not sure what they are (they are almost as old as the buggy)

campbuds
Approved Member

Post by campbuds »

ok, I was going to go to a brushless on the 6gear car BUT... now since I have a team car with the stealth tranny I am going to save brushless for it instead.

But I am frustrated with my original RC10 w/ the 6gear. It needs a new motor anyway. All my motors are old except the 8T which I have been told on here is over kill for that car and not really good for it.

So... I guess I am looking for recommendations now on what a good motor is that is ball bearing. and what gearing to go with?

gear for truck conversion tires and gear for buggy tires.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I haven't really run it yet, but from the specs it looks pretty reasonable.

I picked this up the last tower order, I have no reason to think it won't work well.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHUJ0&P=7

they have a selection from 13 to 21 turns (odd number).

as far as gearing, I haven't looked at them in awhile, but from what i remember, I used to run high 80's spur, pinions on the order of 17-20 all 48 pitch. undergear and creep up on a good combo, rather than start high and ruin things.

bear in mind that if you are running for more than 5 minutes or so, they will start to run hot.

campbuds
Approved Member

Post by campbuds »

I have heard venoms stuff is junk
jwscab wrote:I haven't really run it yet, but from the specs it looks pretty reasonable.

I picked this up the last tower order, I have no reason to think it won't work well.

as far as gearing, I haven't looked at them in awhile, but from what i remember, I used to run high 80's spur, pinions on the order of 17-20 all 48 pitch. undergear and creep up on a good combo, rather than start high and ruin things.

bear in mind that if you are running for more than 5 minutes or so, they will start to run hot.

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Post by Toasted Coastie »

campbuds wrote:I have heard venoms stuff is junk
jwscab wrote:I haven't really run it yet, but from the specs it looks pretty reasonable.

Well, I had the Venom mod 19t on the Yoke for all of 2 weeks. When I switched to LiPo, the thing screamed and fried. Got so hot it melted the cover a little. I ran it for 10 minutes, and it was fast. Won't even turn now. So I put the brushless in it. Love it.....

campbuds
Approved Member

Post by campbuds »

That is what my problem seems to be. No motors were burning up until I made the jump to a lipo battery.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

well...the lipos have a higher working voltage, and can sustain that for alot longer than the nicads ever did. I would say running it at part throttle under high load would pretty much smoke any brushed motor for longer than 5-8 minutes.

i know the feeling though, alot of these brushless systems are pretty pricey. I've been kicking around picking a system, I was thinking LRP or Novak for ~150.00-ish.

there is also the option of trying out the cheapy stuff from overseas, we had some decent luck flying foamie airplanes and helis with that brushless stuff.

campbuds
Approved Member

Post by campbuds »

but i should be able to do a brushed motor if i stay out of the grass and gear it right... right?

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Post by Toasted Coastie »

jwscab wrote:well...the lipos have a higher working voltage, and can sustain that for alot longer than the nicads ever did. I would say running it at part throttle under high load would pretty much smoke any brushed motor for longer than 5-8 minutes.

i know the feeling though, alot of these brushless systems are pretty pricey. I've been kicking around picking a system, I was thinking LRP or Novak for ~150.00-ish.

there is also the option of trying out the cheapy stuff from overseas, we had some decent luck flying foamie airplanes and helis with that brushless stuff.
I bought a cheapie LRP system at a lhs. Sensored system, but it didn't have the sensor wire with the kit. Bought the sensor wire at tower for $7.95, and still spent less than $150 for the setup. I like it just fine. LRP 13.5T Eraser with reverse/LiPo cut off esc.

campbuds
Approved Member

Post by campbuds »

I was just thinking. Someone here has to have found a really great setup with the 6gear tranny. Why should I have to re-invent the wheel?

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

ok after reading through the thread this is what i got from it.

your running a car with a brushed setup.

you replaced the original 27t with a new 27t motor.

you upgraded the battery to lipo which increased the systems voltage from 7.2v to 7.4v.

you kept the same gear ratio after upgrading to the lipo packs.

you ran in grass and the street.

you smoked the motor.

did i miss anything?

ok here's what i see that happened.
grass.. it will cause excess drag thus causing excess heat and strain on the setup. very bad for the electronics.
street.. wide open spaces like the street cause you to hold the throttle down longer and harder. this will also cause extra heat.
7.2 vs 7.4.. sure its not much but the added voltage will cause the motor to heat up a little more.

back in the brushed/nicd/nimh days we geared our stock motors so they would last a 4 min race. that's about all they lasted too. today in the world of brushless/nimh/lipo you don't gear it to last 4 mins. you gear it so you don't over heat it. just cause you can get it to go faster with higher gearing and or higher voltage don't mean you should. same goes for running it excessively longer. longer run time will cause more heat. set yourself some limits. say 10 mins than drink a beer while it cools off.. then run another 10 mins.

once a motor smokes it is done. in most cases this is caused from the insulation on the wires inside the motor melting. this will also cause the motor to short out and die. this is very bad for the speed controller. remove the motor from the car and look in from the end and see if the winding are some other color other than a shiny copper color. if so its toast.

now take a look at the driving style. this can also cause a motor to run a lot hotter. racing on a track (offroad/road course) i hardly ever see full throttle. and the times i do it is for very short periods. but when i run on the street my finger stays on the trigger longer. so a car that is set up for track would not be ready for the street. if you want to be fast on the street then go with a faster motor and slower gearing rather than a slower motor and faster gearing. they may both get you the same speed but the faster motor will work a lot less to do so resulting in less heat.

ok as far as which brushed motor is better. well if its just being used on the street it really don't matter much. venom sells low buck items. that don't mean they are junk. but that also don't mean that they would be the best for racing, then again your not doing competition so as long as it don't fry your good. now look at these aspects of the motors. is the motor rebuildable? even if you don't have a com lathe its a nice investment. i picked mine up for $25 shipped. you don't need a new one a used one will do the job. there is no since in replacing motors constantly when they can be rebuilt for next to nothing. as long as the motor is not extra crispy its rebuildable. and heck if the motor is burnt up you just have to grab some motor wire up from your local radio shack and rewind it yourself. i wouldn't race one that i wound but i also wouldn't have any problems running them on the street or for practice motors on the track.

gear it slower, keep up on motor maintenance and limit yourself to a little less run time each time. if you eat all the cookies now you wont have any later. :lol:

campbuds
Approved Member

Post by campbuds »

your running a car with a brushed setup.
YES

you replaced the original 27t with a new 27t motor.
NO... I replaced a 8t w/ used 27t I just acquired with another car (not a very good one anyway) I was told the 8t was

not good in a 6gear
The grass appeared to be the problem. (i wish it wasn't)

you upgraded the battery to lipo which increased the systems voltage from 7.2v to 7.4v.
YES
you kept the same gear ratio after upgrading to the lipo packs.
I have been jumping around. But I thought I could use the original gears with a 27t (since that is what the original reedy was

you ran in grass and the street.
YES

you smoked the motor.
YES

did i miss anything?
I am really wet behind the ears