What electronics?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fastang
Approved Member

What electronics?

Post by fastang »

Im thinking of getting the new ESE. I can't race my 1:1 this year because of my back deal but they have RC races at all the events so Im thinking I might as well do that.

With that said I am clueless about all the modern electrics. What do I need? I don't want/need the very best of the best but don't want junk either. I need everything! Radio, speed control, motor, batteries, charger, etc. I think I want to go brushless and lipo. I would like to do a package if possible for the motor and speed control. Salesmen at the LHS tried selling me a Novak motor and speed control for around 2 bills. Is that what I should expect to pay for a motor and speed control? Seems like alot to me But I havn't bought anything modern in 15+ years.

Lets hear what you SC guys are running and what seems to work and what doesn't. That same sales men was talking to someone else about chargers and he said there is three chargers on the market that are made by the same company, exactly the same features, just rebranded and the prices from one to the other was appx. 50-75$ Can this be true?

Another good question is should I buy new or buy from our BST or ebay? If I deside to buy used, should I figure about 50%-75% below new cost?

Thanks for any help guys! I need lots of it! With all the stuff I would need im not even sure I can do it because of cost. That stuff adds up quick! Anyone want to donate to the cause :wink: J/K

Mike

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Re: What electronics?

Post by Toasted Coastie »

Mike,

I grabbed Tower's 224 controller (2.4) for cheap money for my Yoke. Got it with an RX and a highspeed servo for less than $100. Works fantastic.

I'm looking into brushless right now, but am running a Venom 4200mAh 2S2P 7.4V 30C LiPo Hard Case Saddle Pack set in it, and gives huge time for runs, and was a decent price.

Ron

rangerg
Approved Member

Post by rangerg »

I second the Tower/Tactic radio. There are other options with more bells and whistles, but the Tower one is plug and play. It has inexpensive receivers to add to other cars and no antennae - I am pleased with it.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Make sure you have a clear understanding of the rules before you buy anything. Go to a race or two and take a real good look around and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Most guys are likely to want to help. Especially if you look like you want to know. People make fun of me ‘cause I’m always quick to help at our track, but I believe in being an ambassador for the sport. Well, that and the fact that I talk too much anyway. :lol:
The worst thing you can do is buy a bunch of equipment only to find out you can’t even use it. Not radios so much as brushless set-ups and batteries. I have some good recommendations of products I race with every week(sometimes twice a week) if you’re interested. Just be careful. There’s a lot of bad information out there. Maybe even mine… :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Make sure you have a clear understanding of the rules before you buy anything. Go to a race or two and take a real good look around and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Most guys are likely to want to help. Especially if you look like you want to know. People make fun of me ‘cause I’m always quick to help at our track, but I believe in being an ambassador for the sport. Well, that and the fact that I talk too much anyway. :lol:
The worst thing you can do is buy a bunch of equipment only to find out you can’t even use it. Not radios so much as brushless set-ups and batteries. I have some good recommendations of products I race with every week(sometimes twice a week) if you’re interested. Just be careful. There’s a lot of bad information out there. Maybe even mine… :mrgreen:

Good point! Right now (me and a few others) are trying to get the people running the show to even allow anything non Traxxas to even race. As it stands if it's not a traxxas product it a no go. Even in the 1:1 racing if you have a non Traxxas RC sponsor sticker you can't race. They are missing out on a lot of pro racers from out west because of this. Competition is a GOOD thing for everyone involved!

Im still going to get the truck even if they won't let me race it. It will give me something to do when Im not wrenching on the 1:1 race truck.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

I would suggest the Castle Maxba Max Pro for an ESC. You can find them on the Bay for around $120. It is not the cheapest, but it will do everything and should be good for many years due to downloadable updates and all the features and power handling. You can read about it on Castles website. You can then choose the motor of your choice. Castle makes some great sensorless ones or you can run a sensored with it. I have two of the Pros and one original Max. Love them.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

That sucks how they won’t let other products run, but if I were dumping millions into advert and the other companies were just sitting on their asses I would feel the same way. I love my Slash and it is damn near unbreakable. The other trucks are very nice and might be quieter don’t get me wrong, but if I had to buy one to race I’d get the 2.4ghz version for about $250 and go at it. You can get an EZRun brushless set up very cheap, but for my money I’d go to eBay for a Castle Sidewinder 4600system(The 5700 is too fast). You can always get a 5700kv motor too. It’s completely programmable and can run brushed too. Legality can be an issue though, so look into it. You can probably get it for about $130 shipped and I assure you, It’s a BEAST! Too much for my taste actually. I love the stock esc and Titan 12turn that comes in it. Fast, reliable and I’ve been racing the same motor for 3 months or so and it’s still as fast as any other truck. $20 or so to replace when it does slow down.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i have a couple of the cheaper spektrum radios and they are pretty nice.

cant speak for brushless systems other than the ones i own, but so-far my novak stuff has held up real well. i also have a speed passion brushless system in my 10t and its very very nice imo.

i wouldnt hesitate to by castle if it works for you. i've read nothing but good things.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Same with me. I am not preaching to anybody. Castle is all that I have owned. I really think any brushless system is better than not. You don't need to get crazy with the high KV rating motors and 3s Lipos. I think the insane speed that always gets talked about might shy some people away.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

CamplinP wrote:Same with me. I am not preaching to anybody. Castle is all that I have owned. I really think any brushless system is better than not. You don't need to get crazy with the high KV rating motors and 3s Lipos. I think the insane speed that always gets talked about might shy some people away.
I don't need or want the fastest stuff money can buy. Most, if not all the tracks are makeshift tracks meaning not the best surface. I think it will be mostly loose dirt from what I have seen. Not packed clay like most tracks. That brings up another question. Tires? What would hook up on a track like this?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I am really lost when it comes to the modern stuff. Does the ESE require those weird offset wheels like the Slash? What wheel and tire combo should I start out with? Links or pics are greatly appreciated. Is there a website like RC10talk for this kind of truck racing where I can learn more? That would be great. Im going to look around right now!

Thanks again!
Mike