Teambluegroove's repro bodies - quality?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lonestar
Approved Member

Teambluegroove's repro bodies - quality?

Post by Lonestar »

Hello all,

has anyone had a Teambluegroove body in hand? Any feedback on the quality? They are more affordable than other ones, I was wondering if they're still worth covering a painfully restored 10T?

thanks!
Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

vintage racer
Approved Member

Re: Teambluegroove's repro bodies - quality?

Post by vintage racer »

If you plan on running it forget it.My JRX2 body got busted up after the first rollover.
Attachments
Picturesbody.JPG

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

The Lexan is thick, cut lines indistinct, windows near invisible, no masks, and the corners too rounded in my experience. That was on a JRX2 body. Do yourself a big favor and buy from Mr.Lexan, Brandon G or Marwan.
Gary

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Jeez, I've never seen Lexan crack like that, even old stuff that's been beat on for years. Especially not on a buggy body that doesn't flex much anyway. I'd guess it wasn't even polycarbonate (generic name for Lexan, which is General Electric's version).

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I've only had Mrlex bodies A++++, there is another plastic that can be used, they kind the make soda bottles from that cracks on impact like that-but I have personally bought GE Lexan for EDM bodies that shattered too (maybe a bad run??)

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Clear beverage bottles are made from PET or PETG; both are less brittle and more flexible than polycarbonate. PET and PETG are not as good optically, however. My guess is that Teambluegroove is simply using the absolute cheapest grade of polycarbonate out there. Other possibilities are clear polystyrene or clear PVC, both of which are very easy to vacuum form (and they absorb very little water, so no drying is needed), but are brittle as can be.

Regards,

Robert

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I can bare witness to James's X2 shell busting on its first roll over. Quite sad considering it was his vintage racer for the last big meet in Sydney.
Team blue groove need to re-investigate the materials they are using. :roll:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Having just painted up one of their junior-2 shells I can say that the material looks, feels, and generally behaves different from most other bodies I have painted. The material seems a little softer/easier to flex from its formed shape while handling. When scoring the trim lines then bending like usual, it doesn't give a good sharp snap and clean edge like lexan of the same thickness seems to do.
When dropping the body on the garage floor with the paint still wet I seem to utter the same sounds though :oops: :lol:

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Basically, he is using a material that forms easier and is cheaper than lexan. Probably petg like mentioned above. But it is NOT lexan that he is using. Doesn't make sense, cause if you buy in larger quanities, the price on lexan isn't too bad. We bought a 2 4'X8' sheets of .030 lexan and had it cut to size by the supplier. When you do the math, we were paying around $4 per piece after purchase, shipping, and cutting. And the pieces were 22"X 16". No excuses there.

We violently "tested" a few of our first failed attempts and the results were dents and scratches, but nothing catastrophic.

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

If it's PETG, it's the worst grade ever. While building my vacuum former, I did many of my experimental pulls (from a Viper mold) with .030 PETG and did some rather violent testing with a ballpeen hammer on several of them. I also did this with my .030 polycarbonate experimental pulls. In my experience, the PETG fared even better than the polycarbonate; I could not break the stuff.

In any case, maybe we'll find out. I sent teambluegroove a question through eBay on the material. I'll post the response.

Regards,

Robert

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

All

interesting info - both on the quality of his work, and on the general technology behind this.

I actually ordered a couple of things from him (namely a full astute body set and some rc10 gear covers) a few days ago, ie before I posted that thread, I haven't received them yet so I can't comment on the quality - but as I'm in a bit of a hurry to finish my 10T now I really wanted to hear you guys' opinions. The 10T will be a shelfer, it looks good but not killer good as it isn't a $300 resto but rather a good clean-up, so I'm not sure I want to dump the cash that's requested by the other providers of 10T repro bodies to get the top-quality ones, without any disrespect to the other guys of course. Everyone is just playing in a different market segment, he's playing the "affordable" one especially as the quoted shipping is very reasonable and this makes a sizeable difference in the end.

I guess I'll wait till I get that astute set and figure it out from here. He doesn't say "lexan" in his ads...

Robert, I am interested in the answer you get from teambluegroove nonetheless.

Thanks!
Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

I asked the question after this happened to mine but got no responce.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I'm surprised to hear they're not using good material. When I first heard of them it was through the stuff they made for the mini-t etc; and everyone was very impressed by the quality. Ofcourse those mini-t products also included their 1:18th bodies, and I was happy to see when they pulled 1:10th bodies later.

Luckily I have an overstock on bodies currently and didn't order anything from them

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Lonestar wrote:so I'm not sure I want to dump the cash that's requested by the other providers of 10T repro bodies to get the top-quality ones, without any disrespect to the other guys of course.
I assume you are talking about me, as far as I know I am the only other one offering them... No offense taken.

In regards to price, with shipping this is the deal. Packaging up a 10T body is very close to falling into the Priority International size standards which is set by the USPS (not negotiable as far as the USPS is concerned) and is more expensive. It seems depending on who you get at the USPS will determine whether or not you are charged for First Class or Priority. If they know me they usually charge me FC, if they dont' I get charged Priority. Arguing with them doesn't work, I have tried, so I have to default to Priority International otherwise it's $15.00 or so out of my pocket for the additional shipping.

If you want, I will do my best to get FC and refund you the difference from Priority. You can ask, I have done this for others in the past. I willing to work for/with you, but I can't guarantee anything. All you have to do is ask...... the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Also on price total:
- I promise mine don't shatter
- You get defined lines in the body, such as the windows, grille, etc.
- You get paint masks
- You get over spray film
- There are no defects in mine. I had one of TBG bodies, and there were waves, bubbles, thin spots etc.
- They are lexan and the same exact quality as those in your LHS..... I did my homework.

I am not knocking anyone's efforts, as I respect everyone...... just sharing what I know for facts.

Questions? Fire away... don't be shy.

Jay
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Konich
Approved Member

Post by Konich »

I've bought bodies from Mr lexan and Brandon, also had the blue groove Anscola was talking about (as that was my junior 2 auction he won cheap! :mrgreen: ) and by far Mr lexan's and Brandon's are superior quality and finish. For not that much more money to get something that will last, if its a shelfer spend a little $$$ and get it right IMHO.

Now to see which one makes a repro TRX-1 body (isn't this getting old Lex?) :lol: