Weird login problem...

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Weird login problem...

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I recently got satellite internet because it's the only hi-speed option available in my exact area(which is about 4 miles outside a very mid-sized city filled with hi-speed convenience :evil: ). Since I switched net providers I changed my e-mail address. Ever since I changed I've been having a problem. I login to the site and all is well until a certain amount of time passes and I get the appearance of just visiting this site. The login option appears on the screen and I have to log back in. Even weirder is that my user id is still at the bottom of the page like I'm still logged in. I haven't been to any other forums since switching so I'm not sure if it's the site, my computer or just the nature of satellite internet. Anyone know what's going on? :? Thanks
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

noony
Approved Member

Re: Weird login problem...

Post by noony »

Its some thing with this site,I have had the same problum for a long time(when the site was updated).Mostly when pictures are shown.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Does anyone have an answer for this? It's to the point where I can't even post. It's like I time out everytime. The only change to my computer other than ISP is that I installed McAfee Total protection 2009. Could that have anyhting to do with it? I had to change my password when I changed email. Could that be it? I've logged in like 10 times in the past hour. I should have tried at work just to see, but we've been unseasonably busy. Darn work!
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i really have no idea dude.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I posted at IMDB just to see if it happened. It didn't. Maybe Bill will know. I'd PM him, but I figure I have about 5 seconds to post...
Ken

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

is it happening across multiple browsers?

only thing i can reco is clearing your cache and cookies... but then again i'm an internet retard.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

This hobby has already cleared my cache...kidding. The only way I can post is to create a word file or email and copy and paste for quick access. It's about as much fun as it sounds. I will figure it out. I may try Firefox or opera10 just to see what happens. Anyway, I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking the site(exactly the opposite, it's my favorite). If all else fails I guess I can try creating a new I.D. My wife will be pretty mad when I claim a new girlfriend though...I'll just blame you guys.
Ken

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Did Firefox work? It just may. If not, make sure to try it in "Safe Mode" http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode?style_mode=inproduct&s=safe%20mode in case there is an extension at work.
The McAfee sounds pretty robust. You could try opening that up an looking to see if it has some box or utility that "log me out after XX seconds" or "Clear cookies automatically" or something. - Brian
- Brian -

My Gallery

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Y'ernat Al wrote:Did Firefox work? It just may. If not, make sure to try it in "Safe Mode" http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode?style_mode=inproduct&s=safe%20mode in case there is an extension at work.
The McAfee sounds pretty robust. You could try opening that up an looking to see if it has some box or utility that "log me out after XX seconds" or "Clear cookies automatically" or something. - Brian
I think it must be a setting on the McAfee because I'm having no problems at work. I'll need to get in there and modify the settings. Thanks
Ken

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:I recently got satellite internet because it's the only hi-speed option available in my exact area(which is about 4 miles outside a very mid-sized city filled with hi-speed convenience :evil: ). Since I switched net providers I changed my e-mail address. Ever since I changed I've been having a problem. I login to the site and all is well until a certain amount of time passes and I get the appearance of just visiting this site. The login option appears on the screen and I have to log back in. Even weirder is that my user id is still at the bottom of the page like I'm still logged in. I haven't been to any other forums since switching so I'm not sure if it's the site, my computer or just the nature of satellite internet. Anyone know what's going on? :? Thanks

i actually know the exact problem and have had it happen to me at multiple sites i visit to service their computers, and it ONLY happens on these clients which i thought was weird but i investigated it..

it Probably has something to do with the fact that the IP address you are getting assigned from your sat provider is dynamic and it changes. Most cable providers give you a dynamic also BUT it stays the same, all the time, unless you change your router (then based on the mac address it gives you a new dynamic address).

The problem i had specifically is that at some of my clients here, they have a router (sonicwall) with the failover and load balancing (basically a t1 and cable modem) combined together to provide a single outgoing pipe.

i think the message board detects you coming from 2 different IPS and causes a problem. Other problems i had with clients using this is that lets say they log into like bank of america using a load balanced connection, it will sometimes log them out in the middle of something because i assume it detects 2 connections from 1 source and marks it as a spoof or IP masquerade exploit, hard to say.

my fix for these clients, were to use google chrome, which seems to fix the problem because it caches the credentials, i didnt try firefox, but google chrome worked well and i stuck with that.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

mikedealer wrote:
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:I recently got satellite internet because it's the only hi-speed option available in my exact area(which is about 4 miles outside a very mid-sized city filled with hi-speed convenience :evil: ). Since I switched net providers I changed my e-mail address. Ever since I changed I've been having a problem. I login to the site and all is well until a certain amount of time passes and I get the appearance of just visiting this site. The login option appears on the screen and I have to log back in. Even weirder is that my user id is still at the bottom of the page like I'm still logged in. I haven't been to any other forums since switching so I'm not sure if it's the site, my computer or just the nature of satellite internet. Anyone know what's going on? :? Thanks

i actually know the exact problem and have had it happen to me at multiple sites i visit to service their computers, and it ONLY happens on these clients which i thought was weird but i investigated it..

it Probably has something to do with the fact that the IP address you are getting assigned from your sat provider is dynamic and it changes. Most cable providers give you a dynamic also BUT it stays the same, all the time, unless you change your router (then based on the mac address it gives you a new dynamic address).

The problem i had specifically is that at some of my clients here, they have a router (sonicwall) with the failover and load balancing (basically a t1 and cable modem) combined together to provide a single outgoing pipe.

i think the message board detects you coming from 2 different IPS and causes a problem. Other problems i had with clients using this is that lets say they log into like bank of america using a load balanced connection, it will sometimes log them out in the middle of something because i assume it detects 2 connections from 1 source and marks it as a spoof or IP masquerade exploit, hard to say.

my fix for these clients, were to use google chrome, which seems to fix the problem because it caches the credentials, i didnt try firefox, but google chrome worked well and i stuck with that.
I guarantee you're exactly right. I've noticed the my IP address changes, but didn't make the connection. I'll try Google Chrome. Thanks
Ken

mark
Approved Member

Post by mark »

I'm on satelite internet as well, I have no problem getting on this site but I can't get on a couple other sites, but I have no problem getting on when I'm at work. Sounds like I have the same issue.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:I guarantee you're exactly right. I've noticed the my IP address changes, but didn't make the connection. I'll try Google Chrome. Thanks
I think it's because you have no thumbs. :shock: :wink: :mrgreen:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Halgar wrote:
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:I guarantee you're exactly right. I've noticed the my IP address changes, but didn't make the connection. I'll try Google Chrome. Thanks
I think it's because you have no thumbs. :shock: :wink: :mrgreen:
That only comes into play when I try my Fonzie impression... :wink:
Ken

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:That only comes into play when I try my Fonzie impression... :wink:
Isn't that the furry bear on the Muppets?
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!