zapping motor

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tiger1
Approved Member

zapping motor

Post by tiger1 »

Anyone zaps motor here?

Any recommendation about who can zap motors?

Thanks in advance. :D

mikedealer
Approved Member

Re: zapping motor

Post by mikedealer »

i have a motor zapper, i got it from ebay from ebay for like $15 bucks because the title was something like "Moter Magnit Xapper for motors", works fine, just uses a 12volt supply. i can zap motors for you if i you want, as far as performance increase on the motors i dont have a dyno so i dont know.. but the few motors i zapped, the magnets seemed stronger (i tested it by how many small nails i could pick up before and after lol)

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

We used to bring our cans to a hobby shop back in the day to get zapped. Don't remember if it did anything for the speed/power though.

ED

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Here's mine. Didn't take long before I did the parallel/series switch, increasing power by 4. And if 12 volts was good, geee then 20 or so should really be sweet.
Did I mention that the switch and wiring have been upgraded? :oops: :wink:
So then I starting using it in the freezer of the party fridge. :lol: :lol:
We also experimited with trying to offset the field, putting the can in at a slight rotation, after the %#@$%s locked the comms for timing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It did help a little, not a lot though. One of many small things that we did that in total made quite a difference.
P8181406.jpg
P8181402.jpg
P8181405.jpg

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Here is a little info from another forum. I know it may be a little off topic, but may help "clarify" things. This was a discussion that I was involved in as a manufacturer several years ago. There is more than one forum to look at, so you may want to poke around. -Jeff

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/112445-motor-zappers-2.html

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Jay Dub wrote:Here is a little info from another forum. I know it may be a little off topic, but may help "clarify" things. This was a discussion that I was involved in as a manufacturer several years ago. There is more than one forum to look at, so you may want to poke around. -Jeff

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/112445-motor-zappers-2.html

That was a good read thanks, the funny part is I race at Thunder RC in Nashville. No wonder everytime I buy a Thunder motor they are faster than everything else out there.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

Not trying to ask a stupid ? Just trying to learn about motors. What is zapping?

Motor'n

Post by Motor'n »

Zapping a motor is when the magnets in the can are supposedly made stronger magnetically by placing them on a large focused electromagnet fixture. It's a old school way of increasing performance of a stock motor primarily. In my experience it makes a very marginal increase in performance.
Racin since 1987

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

There is a point in zapping motors (or thereby increasing the magnetic strength of the "fixed" magnets) only overcomes the magnetic forces generated by the stator ( or rotating electromagnet ie-armature ) where you actually overcome the rotor, and really decrease the efficiency of the motor, generating more heat than anything. This mostly applies to stock motors where you cannot
increase the strength of the rotor via timing--but you can kill the wa. output on an 8X1 the same way

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Hey Guys, is that what Todd over at Putnam Propulsion does for $35.00 for one motor. (sold him a couple of gold pans) JohnnySr.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

When did you sell TP a couple of goldpans?

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

He wanted a pan like he raced back in the day. about 3 mos ago,gave him a bunch of parts too. JohnnySr.

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

I still have one of those zapper on my shelf. when we used them u could do a mod to the zapper to do motor in like a push of the button instead of leaving the motor on the machine. some thought it was the cats meow others thought it was crap to use a zapper....course some thought they were faster cuz they ran plastic wheel nuts instead of the thicker steal type on their rear wheels---Hell i know iwas the fastest with light outdrives :roll: ---- :lol: sometimes im just a dumb beaner :mrgreen: