slipper for xls or cougar 2 question

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

zoomzoombang
Approved Member

slipper for xls or cougar 2 question

Post by zoomzoombang »

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to fit a slipper to these? From memory, I am sure that the xls I have has a MMS layshaft so would it be possible to fit a slipper? I am not sure if it has the original layshaft on it as I bought it 2nd hand years ago, could this be a problem?
What about a Cougar 2? If it does not have original slipper can I fit one from say a Fireblade or something like that? Since I don't have a 2wd yet, I am looking between the Cougar 2 or going to the darkside and get a RC10. Any advice on which of that to go for? Thanks.

fakiee
Approved Member

Re: slipper for xls or cougar 2 question

Post by fakiee »

zoomzoombang wrote:I am looking between the Cougar 2 or going to the darkside and get a RC10.
I think you will find that here the RC10 is comparable to Yoda :mrgreen:

zoomzoombang
Approved Member

Post by zoomzoombang »

I think you will find that here the RC10 is comparable to Yoda :mrgreen:
I thought that this is the Schumacher forum :twisted: , but you're right. Good call. I notice that he does not have any slipper(s) though. :)

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

The Cougar 2 has a belt drive so any other slippers from Schumacher will not fit. However, The Cougar 2 race spec, team spec and works spec all had slippers as stock items. I may have a complete slipper set up in my parts bin if you would like me to look.

And if by Yoda you mean old and slow then I agree RC10 is Yoda. But I think RC10 is more like a Tie Fighter. There is always way too many but one on one they are kinda sucky. :mrgreen:
"It's not broken, it's British!"

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

zoomzoombang wrote:I thought that this is the Schumacher forum :twisted:
This is an vintage RC10 forum with a Schumacher section. :mrgreen: Get it right! :mrgreen:

(I know I am opening myself up to get blasted by at least one person by saying that, but I can live with that :P )
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

We Shuey guys would not dare blast the moderators for setting us straight. I consider it a privilege to have a Schumacher section on here. I hope my blasphemous Star Wars analogies did not anger the RC10 gods or stir up an angry mob. :mrgreen:
"It's not broken, it's British!"

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

No worries, just give it some time...... either Jason, Anthony, or David will blast me about being one to talk since I "only build Losis."
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

zoomzoombang
Approved Member

Post by zoomzoombang »

8rad wrote:The Cougar 2 has a belt drive so any other slippers from Schumacher will not fit. However, The Cougar 2 race spec, team spec and works spec all had slippers as stock items. I may have a complete slipper set up in my parts bin if you would like me to look.
Hi 8rad, thanks for the offer of looking for the slipper. I don't have a Cougar 2 yet. Still combing thro' the forums and ebay. Does anyone happen to have a photo of a team or works Cougar 2 tranny so I know what to look for on ebay? Thanks.

With the RC10 having so much more support in the way of spares I might end up getting one instead. It would really suck to break something on the track and not be able to play for an unknown period due to lack of said Schumacher spares.

A wheel question. I saw some photos on the web of the cat xls with yokomo wheels. What parts would I need to get to do the conversion? Can you use modern size wheels after the conversion? Again, spares problem and apologies for not being a purist.

Lastly before I forget, a big thank you to RC10talk.com for having a Schumacher forum here!

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

There are a few of us who have some alloy adapters which allow fitment of Yoke rims to the early Schumachers. They don't come up all that often so they aren't easy to find. I like this period mod and use them on most of my early Cats. I think a guy over on Oople.com made some adapters to run modern B44 type rims, I'm sure they'd make life easier.
Finding Schumacher buggies aren't too hard I'd you keep an eye out but locating a real gem is another story. While I'm sure you can still by the slipper plate parts from Schumacher it's the layshaft that's the real problem. These are special items which rarely come up.
I do wish you the best of luck though.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

There were a couple options available if you are interested in a slipper for an XLS. Schumacher produced several versions of slippers and layshafts for the Procat, and Bosscat. Both of these will fit in the XLS tranny, but these will necessitate a rear differential swap (the bosscat will also use different rear belts as well). If you already have a MMS layshaft and differential assebly, you could use a WASP slipper assembly (there were several versions available) that will mount directly on the solid layshaft. All of these options will be difficult to find, but they do pop up from time to time. I should know, as I recently sold of of these items on the bay :) -Jeff

zoomzoombang
Approved Member

Post by zoomzoombang »

bormac: Thanks, I think it was actually your restored xls - and beauties they were too, that I saw with the yokomo wheels!

Jay Dub: thank you for the info. Shame I missed the slippers. The search goes on...