Things that irritate you

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Halgar
Approved Member

Re: Things that irritate you

Post by Halgar »

1911Colt wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:33 am Honestly, I expected that, by now, every commercial would have a character named Alexa. One character says "What are you going to do today ALEXA?". The other replies quickly "Buy {product} from Amazon!"
Oh, now THAT would be evil, but I can totally see it happening in the near future!
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

I'm an old man, very much set in my ways. Having just been evicted from my long-term laptop home (my Windows 7 laptop would no longer power up, or physically charge the battery), I am now trying to get to grips with a shiny new Windows 11 beast. Fair to say I delayed moving from Windows 7 longer than a lot of people, and it's biting me in the ass right now. "Irritate" might be too soft a term..... I'm somewhere around "hate", "loathe", or "detest".....

Here's just one example....
- I used Microsoft Office Picture Manager pretty much every day for the past 10+ years, to modify photos (crop, resize, reformat, all that schemozzle). It was a simple yet powerful program, with an interface that allowed me to do whatever I needed (crop then resize then save, adjust multiple files at once, look at all the files in a directory, etc. etc.). Win11 (curse it's black AI heart) has this POS called Windows Photos.... I'm sure it works for adding highlights and emojis to your single Instagram pic, but it's almost useless for doing bulk update work.

Case in point: yesterday I took 48 photos of a BIG pile of Schumacher parts. To prepare each picture for use, I have to 1) open the photo; 2) rotate the image if needed; 3) select Edit; 4) crop the image; 5) save the image; 6) right-click and select resize; 7) select pixels; 8 ) change the image size; 9) select save; 10) find the directory my images are in (defaults to the last directory saved in, rather than the directory you opened this file in); 11) select save again; and 12) agree that I want to over-write the previous image. All that carp for 48 images...

Now, I'm off to go outside.....
cloud.jpg
cloud.jpg (29.46 KiB) Viewed 241 times
cloud.jpg
cloud.jpg (29.46 KiB) Viewed 241 times
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Fortunately, I have found a workaround to get Picture Manager installed and working again..... so back to normal for me.

I get the feeling Windows 11 is going to be like this a lot..... find a feature that now "works better" (i.e. less efficiently, or not at all), and then work out how to reconfigure it to work as a normal person would want to use it on a computer, rather than how AI would have me use it, or how it could be used on a mobile phone.

One down, soooooo many to go. Wish my sanity luck......
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Brendan2904
Approved Member

Post by Brendan2904 »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:25 pm Fortunately, I have found a workaround to get Picture Manager installed and working again..... so back to normal for me.

I get the feeling Windows 11 is going to be like this a lot..... find a feature that now "works better" (i.e. less efficiently, or not at all), and then work out how to reconfigure it to work as a normal person would want to use it on a computer, rather than how AI would have me use it, or how it could be used on a mobile phone.

One down, soooooo many to go. Wish my sanity luck......
Good luck. I still miss windows 3.1, 95, & 98.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:46 pm I'm an old man, very much set in my ways. Having just been evicted from my long-term laptop home (my Windows 7 laptop would no longer power up, or physically charge the battery), I am now trying to get to grips with a shiny new Windows 11 beast. Fair to say I delayed moving from Windows 7 longer than a lot of people, and it's biting me in the ass right now. "Irritate" might be too soft a term..... I'm somewhere around "hate", "loathe", or "detest".....
You an me both, buddy, you and me both! Thank GOD I live with a computer geek who loves, or at least tolerates technology. If I didn't have her, I literally would NOT have a computer!

We switched to Linux about 10 years ago, from what my compugeek tells me, it's far easier and superior to the literal crap that Macrosux puts out. The unfortunate thing is, 99% of the Linux and freeware available is based on the literal crap that Macrosux puts out, so we're all still relegated to horrific remakes of horrific originals.

One of the non Macrosux products we used to use/still use is Word Perfect, which used to be an awesome alternative to Macrosux Word. Unfortunately, they've not only destroyed their product, they no longer support Linux users, they only cater to Macrosux. :roll:

I know that back in the day Macrosux literally had copyright over operating system software, which is how they managed to hold a monopoly over the industry. In the late 90's they were sued and they lost their monopoly, but the industry still chooses to copy their flawed and crap software.

I am one that absolutely HATES change for the sake of change. If you want to improve something, by all means, improve it, with my blessing, but the incessant change of all things, though I'll limit this rant to the electronics industry, is absolutely the opposite of improvement! They take away features and install more and more tracking and call home BS, as well as requiring creating accounts, logging in, registering, and a litany of other infuriating devices to data mine, nickel and dime, and overwhelm the average user to the point that they just submit to their intolerable levels of BS just to have bare minimum access to whatever electronic device the user is trying to access.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:46 pm I'm an old man, very much set in my ways. Having just been evicted from my long-term laptop home (my Windows 7 laptop would no longer power up, or physically charge the battery), I am now trying to get to grips with a shiny new Windows 11 beast. Fair to say I delayed moving from Windows 7 longer than a lot of people, and it's biting me in the ass right now. "Irritate" might be too soft a term..... I'm somewhere around "hate", "loathe", or "detest".....

I'm still sitting at the desktop computer I built around 15 years ago which is running Windows 7 pro edition. At the time of this post I'm logged at 75,432 power-on hours according to the hard drives S.M.A.R.T. feature. I searched Google a bit, and the results say a hard drives only supposed to last 3 to 5 years on average or 43,800 hours max. Now to be fair, I bought the best HD money could by at the time which was a 10,000rpm Western Digital Raptor hard drive which I attribute to its longevity. What's interesting is it starting making a periodic clicking noise after something like 3 years, and it's been doing it ever since. In the tech world we call it the click of death because it signifies hard drive failure but this ones been doing it for over a decade now. This hard drive is always being pushed as well due to having an inadequate amount of memory installed it has to take over extra duties so it works twice as hard. Incredibly, the S.M.A.R.T. feature reports the hard drive is still operating in its acceptable parameters.

I have a 'new' computer in the basement I bought 3 years ago that's the replacement but due to a debacle with it which is a story in itself, it's still sitting down there. :?

I feel your pain though as I bought a new laptop as well a year ago with Win 11 on it for my job, and was laid off like a week later. :roll: Windows makes operating systems catered to touch/mobile devices now. They don't care about desktop users any longer since we're apparently in the minority these days, so we have to either suffer or switch to Linux.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

klavy69 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:40 pm Without the time to go back and read through what I've missed recently I hope its not already covered but damn, Can't make everyone happy! Damned if AE does and Damned if they don't. Its not just AE also but people beg for years for repops and then when they do repop something it brings out all the whineasses. I got a scratch on my chassis plate, I'm missing a screw, I can't use these parts on my old one, would've been nice if they did this instead of that all while flagrantly hammering warranty issues. Maybe its just the whole social media giving all the people that think they have to bitch about something a platform to do it on. Whatever happened to the hands on idea of making stuff work? I guess traxxas had it right with all the rtr basher stuff...people too stupid to put something together and make things work just need to buy it already together. Now I like vintage traxxas but Man, I hate the new stuff and as far as the repops, fix what you can, call up and get the real issues taken care of like they have in the past and JUST BE FRICKEN HAPPY THEY REPOPPED THE DAMN THING TO BEGIN WITH! I would've lost the bet they wouldn't do it again but yeah, eventually there won't be any at all with all the moronic banter from the people that shouldn't have been given the opportunity. There is not one FB positive post that you can get through without someone bitching about something else on it.

Rant done...

Off to deal with life...

Todd
Oh yes, what got me was people complaining about the large screws being black and hex head when everyone racing them has been removing the originals and replacing them with the same screws that now comes in the kit. If you want green screws just buy them from JC Racing or Team KNK.

And the plastics are too white, on a 40th anniversary release. You might as well have complained the CC plastics were the wrong colour as well. Well if you want it to look like you have a vintage original instead of having just bought a brand new car from a shop, then buy an original. There's always runners on ebay for less than what you have paid for your new toy.

And how many times do people have to ask whether they should build it or leave it in it's box. You bought it, you should know what you bought it for!

Skippy

Post by Skippy »

R6cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:52 pm People deliberately trying to rip-off other unknowingly people. Trying to sell $10 wheels for $70 by labeling them as something special and vintage, when they're still offered from Traxxas at $10 to this day. The deceitfullness is painfully obvious by how the pictures were taken. Scumbags.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235538864681?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=PCtnGU0ERfG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=IA058T2mQ1q&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
I’m glad I’m not the only one to call out this kind of BS I saw this also and thought the same thing.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

terry.sc wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:56 am And how many times do people have to ask whether they should build it or leave it in it's box. You bought it, you should know what you bought it for!
Amen to that point right there! Most are fishing for something with that statement/question. I've seen and heard alot of sale posts already for these 40th cars. Why go through all the hassle to just sell the thing again.

The whining about the rc10t release has already begun. Didn't make it 12 hours before the first post I seen from the start whining about how it should have been :roll:

The part I enjoy though so far is watching the scalpers who try and make some money on this stuff get stuck. I know...I'm a little evil but damn...they are why you can't find a decent runner for under $100 anymore.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

klavy69 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:32 pm The part I enjoy though so far is watching the scalpers who try and make some money on this stuff get stuck. I know...I'm a little evil but damn...they are why you can't find a decent runner for under $100 anymore.

Todd
Is it that, or the dumb jackasses actually paying the stupid scalping prices driving up the cost? Both I guess. If only everyone had the common sense to tell scalpers to stick it up their yahoos', that problem would never show face. Unfortunately we live in a society ruled by compulsion, certainly not intelligence nor common sense.
-Jerry-

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

terry.sc wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:56 am And how many times do people have to ask whether they should build it or leave it in it's box. You bought it, you should know what you bought it for!
My answer is always, "Build it". If you want to make money, storing unbuilt RC cars for 40 years probably isn't the best way to do it.
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

So first time using AliExpress for a bunch of mabuchi motors that i wanted to just try out.

Order 10 figure if they don't work out not a huge loss. Seller i order from replies 4 days later stating they don't have stock and I should cancel the order. The store shows over 9000 in stock.

This is apparently a known issue with sellers. They try to get you to cancel if you don't order enough for them to make profit without them getting a black mark on their account and also waive my protections.

I refuse to cancel, stating that their store still shows over 9000 in stock and if they don't want to fulfill the order they should cancel on their end.

2 days later they tell me to cancel again. I ignore it.

Today i get a message saying my order shipped.

I wonder if i'll actually get the motors or if they'll send me a brick. Stay tuned for video when it arrives! :lol:

Love it when businesses try to be deceitful...

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

RogueIV wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:56 am So first time using AliExpress for a bunch of mabuchi motors that i wanted to just try out.
Dealing with the Chinese is always an ordeal. They're a bunch of scammers that do everything they can to screw you over. We sourced a product from them a few years ago.

1 - What we spec'd and what we received were two totally different things! Much lesser quality than we requested and paid for.
2 - There was a printing problem (yellow strip across the face of the package) that they didn't feel was an issue, so about 25% of the order had this defect.
3 - There were extra boxes not used to package product, that they so kindly flattened and stuffed into the shipping box, which added weight and cost to the shipment.
4 - Once the order was done and sitting on their dock, it was no longer their problem or responsibility, so we had to trust that they would actually ship it.
5 - A $2500 order, paid through PayPal to try to have some sort of payment control, i.e., be able to reverse the charges should something go wrong. WRONG!!!!! This is only the case if a single payment is made, where this one required a deposit and final payment upon completion.

The whole thing was such a pain in the arse that we will never go back to China again! Sad thing is, we tried multiple countries, including the USA, searching for a supplier for this unique product and couldn't find one.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

I just had a similar experience on eBay, albeit at a much smaller scale....

Ordered some dog bones for a truck project I was completing, because I couldn't find replacements anywhere else, despite having the part number and description, as well as spares to match against.

Bought the item on the first of May, and paid on that day.

Received "Thanks for your purchase with our company ! We will handle shipping and let you know tracking number ASAP !" from the seller same day.

Item was marked as shipped on eBay, with a tracking number listed, on the 13th of May, nearly two weeks later.

Received the following from the seller on the same day: "Dear incredible_serious,Your order 420868-11510 has been shipped, the tracking number is ES10027331749350001010001F0N,the carriers is SpeedPAK.Thanks for your purchase!".

Contacted the seller on the 16th of May, as the tracking still showed "Order Acceptance", asking whether it had been shipped. Received "This part is out of stock, so we have to wait the factory to get it finished for shipping. Sorry this really cost a longer period.".

Item was actually shipped on the 19th of May, and arrived here in Drongo Town on the 28th of March.

Dogbones were installed, taking all of 5 minutes to return the truck from RWD to 4WD.

So, the parts are fit for purpose, and the actual shipping time was pretty good (compared to Australia Post, at least!)..... but it's the outright lies, and the delays without any communication, that really yanks my chain.
Osiris is the key.

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

Halgar wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:19 pm
RogueIV wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:56 am So first time using AliExpress for a bunch of mabuchi motors that i wanted to just try out.
Dealing with the Chinese is always an ordeal. They're a bunch of scammers that do everything they can to screw you over. We sourced a product from them a few years ago.

1 - What we spec'd and what we received were two totally different things! Much lesser quality than we requested and paid for.
2 - There was a printing problem (yellow strip across the face of the package) that they didn't feel was an issue, so about 25% of the order had this defect.
3 - There were extra boxes not used to package product, that they so kindly flattened and stuffed into the shipping box, which added weight and cost to the shipment.
4 - Once the order was done and sitting on their dock, it was no longer their problem or responsibility, so we had to trust that they would actually ship it.
5 - A $2500 order, paid through PayPal to try to have some sort of payment control, i.e., be able to reverse the charges should something go wrong. WRONG!!!!! This is only the case if a single payment is made, where this one required a deposit and final payment upon completion.

The whole thing was such a pain in the arse that we will never go back to China again! Sad thing is, we tried multiple countries, including the USA, searching for a supplier for this unique product and couldn't find one.

It's tough because you can get decent stuff from China but finding an actual reliable source can be challenging and frustrating.