3D printing and Tamiya store in South Korea

The place to be for printing in 3D.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

3D printing and Tamiya store in South Korea

Post by TokyoProf »

Went to my first 3D printing shop in South Korea in Hongdea Station area (the art hub of Seoul). Not surprisingly a lot of art students use 3D printing for their work, and the prices are really low. Dadio designed two options for the RC10 Grasshopper project. More to come on that later. Anyhow, I printed the following one-piece design for the equivalent of five bucks :)! The Makebox shop 3D printing store is adjacent to a Tamiya store so that was a bonus. 3D printing is very cool technology! They can 3D print your family!

The nylon was stiff and should be very durable. If the angles get weird (forward leaning shock tower) the quality gets a bit rough as you can tell from the photos. Either way, this is pretty neat stuff and I'm sure the quality will improve over time. Maybe one day we can scan or take a photo of an item and have it 3D printed right away.
Attachments
D9209C79-81E1-452B-938E-32558C54FBBC.jpeg
02081311-72E1-422D-828F-2EC1B400FF62.jpeg
IMG_7416.jpeg
872A7911-07A7-468F-9A2D-4893CE73937C.jpeg
IMG_7404.jpeg
IMG_7408.jpeg
8D2DD8F6-AB1F-4F31-BD49-188B3D16E297.jpeg
10A3C6DE-B235-449C-BE07-26F665613ADC.jpeg
C1724F18-40E2-4A2D-9A1F-2AF5EEA5349F.jpeg
D8A3E16D-E1EA-4CCA-B1B4-EDDF2C33B654.jpeg
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: 3D printing and Tamiya store in South Korea

Post by Dadio »

Glad you got it printed , have to say that's a pretty rough print , my quick test print is better , I guess it's ok for the price but not really what I'd expect from a pro shop .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

I also thought the print was rough compared to yours. The price was great, but the quality was something to be desired. I think they probably used the smaller machine on the part. I think it took 90 minutes to print.
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I would take that back and ask for it to be made on the machine that made the breasts! Honestly, I make bad prints, and your part is really bad, even by my standards. If it is a strictly functional part and it isn't going to be seen, that is one thing, but if it is out there in any form, please have it printed again. Honestly, that is just bad.

These are my latest prints. These are the results of an idiot with cheap filament and a $300 printer. I know they are hard to see on the white background, but I took this pick to point out how white they were.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

TokyoProf wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:20 pm I also thought the print was rough compared to yours. The price was great, but the quality was something to be desired. I think they probably used the smaller machine on the part. I think it took 90 minutes to print.
A smaller machine could actually help quality as many of the moving parts are smaller and lighter so you can print faster with less vibration , for the price it's not bad $5 for 90 min print is cheap as chips , while it's easy for me to be attentive and watch the first layer printed if they are running multiple machines simultaneously it's harder , the greatest quality difference between mine and yours is around the screw holes that mount it to the bulkhead , it looks like the first layer around the holes has not stuck to the bed and although it's recovered itself it's still messy . From the picture the machines are all off the shelf home hobby printers of different types , most company's that run print farms may use the same quality printer but only one type , this makes it easy for the operator to trouble shoot as they can develop an in depth knowledge of the equipment . Print shops like Shapeways use completely different printing processes in machines that are in the tens of thousands of pounds and they produce quality that you can only dream of from a home printer but that part would be more like $20 and take days to be ready .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.