Scrapheap Junior

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Johanp
Approved Member

Re: Scrapheap Junior

Post by Johanp »

The car has been sitting on the floor in my home office for a while now. Was looking at it the other day and something in the front end was a bit off.

Had a closer look and I think I found the problem. :lol:
20210430_094945.jpg

3D printed arms using SLA (I don´t know what material was used) might not be optimal. They bend over time! :)
20210601_080327.jpg

So let´s try FDM this time. Printed using PETG filament. Not the same finish, but they seems stronger.
Quite rough from the printer.
20210601_080401.jpg

Somewhat cleaned up and on the car.
20210601_080439.jpg

Let´s see if this works better.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

those look good , did you model them yourself or download the file ?
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Johanp
Approved Member

Post by Johanp »

Dadio wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:41 am those look good , did you model them yourself or download the file ?
The one I got printed in my first attempt was a downloaded file. Can´t remember where I found it, but they are out there.
I never really liked the look of all the extra strengthening, although I totally understand why they are there. And the arms where totally ok after some light running.

For the secont print I did my own model. I skipped the strengthening and made them look more like the original arms. But they are not exactly like the original since I don´t have any to take actual measurements from.
I figured since I´m only doing some occasional running the arms should be ok for that.

Orange in picture is the downloaded one. My model is the grey one.
arms.JPG

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Nice , well done
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Johanp
Approved Member

Post by Johanp »

Autum is here and I decided to make some upgrades during the winter.
Got some new parts to put on the car.
20211014_075539_l.jpg
Complete Friction slipper
Swept front A-arms
Front axles
Front outer hinge pins

:D

The slipper came from the US and the rest from Germany.
Note that the original price tags on the parts from Germany are still in place and they are in DM (Deutsche Mark). I think Germany went to the Euro currency in 2002. :)

Sasha8066

Post by Sasha8066 »

Apologies on only coming across this thread recently. Those Pro-SE swept A-arm files are my design. They can probably be found via Yeggi, but they were originally posted to the Thingiverse site here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4348333

Free to use for all - I only ask that you give credit for the effort to create the files :) . If there's ever something that someone is looking for in a particular line-up, feel free to PM me, and I will add it to the queue. I've posted quite a few files based on requests, I only ask that you provide the info for others. This helps others find the information (and saves people a lot of time).

Some background into the design, I modeled this arm 4 years ago. My original printer (a M3D) was not capable of producing particularly great parts at the time due to some of the limitations of the printer. A couple printers later, and the file was posted after some successful tinkering. I may post the non-webbed version at some point, as I think it makes the car look more like the XX prototypes run at the 91 Worlds and allows for users to manipulate infill to adjust flex/weight.

While I have modeled/designed quite a few 3D printed parts, the process does have some inherent weaknesses for parts that are not produced with a higher end printer if the original designs are copied 100%. Weight was given priority to strength on many of the designs from early 1990's through the 2000's. Ideally, if parts are copied 100%, they should be printed in a nylon / glass-filled nylon or via a resin printer in a nylon-esque material for maximum strength. Shapeways is a good option for that (as most people do not have access to a commercial printer). For most typical individuals, a personal 3D printer is a reasonable option. Nylon or polycarbonate can be printed on a personal 3D printer but can be difficult to work with if you do not have a humidity/temperature-controlled location. Because of this, most of the parts that I have modeled/modified are designed to be useable with filaments that most users can print (i.e., PETG or ASA) - and may have some additional tweaks to improve strength or remove B-side features that are unnecessary with a 3D printed part. Generally, I avoid PLA (weakens/becomes brittle over time) and typical SLA resins (brittle/sags with exposure to heat).

Johanp
Approved Member

Post by Johanp »

Sasha8066 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:27 am Apologies on only coming across this thread recently. Those Pro-SE swept A-arm files are my design.
Sasha8066 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:27 am Free to use for all - I only ask that you give credit for the effort to create the files :) .
Sasha8066 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:27 am I only ask that you provide the info for others. This helps others find the information (and saves people a lot of time).
Hi Sasha,
Yours are nice arms and they seems to work great.
I believe I just searched for something like "Losi arm" on stlfinder.com when I found them. Had no idea they were yours. :)

Keep up the good work! 8)

Since I'm a mechanical engineer and have been using 3D cad since 1999 I did my own model as you can see in a previous post. A model I intended to test and update, but since I found a pair of original swept Pro-se arms I use them instead.

Johanp
Approved Member

Post by Johanp »

So I finally found the time to assemble the slipper.
20211229_214121.jpg
Got a bit scared when I saw this in the instructions:
instruction.JPG
And sure thing, I had the early gearbox case.
So 5/16" is 7.94 mm. Very close to a 8mm drill bit then.
Deep breath and here we go:
20211229_214026.jpg
Worked out nicely.
Slipper now assembled in the car:
20211230_102235.jpg