HPI RS4 MT find

The place for all things HPI.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sgirouard
Approved Member

HPI RS4 MT find

Post by sgirouard »

Well another Ebay find that I want to share. I found an HPI RS4 MT for a good price. I thought it was just a roller without a body even.

Well I open the box, and see a body, beat up but still usable. I also see the Futaba Magnum Sport Radio, the Tekin TSC 411-G2 esc, the Warlock Cheetah 13 double brushed motor and futaba S148 servo. But the biggest surprise.

It came with the optional 2 speed spur system from the RS4's. I'm very excited to see what kind of speeds this will hit. I'm very pleased with the truck. It needs a new rear belt but that's already been ordered. Now it just needs a good cleaning and relubing.

ImageImageImage

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: HPI RS4 MT find

Post by Incredible_Serious »

What an awesome couple of bonus items - you've done quite well there!

Look forward to hearing how it runs.....

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Nice! Although you got me curious about the auction - no pictures in the auction?

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

There was one, non-"expandable" picture and all i could make out was the chassis and servo wire. Wasn't a great picture. I got the whole thing for under $50 so even if it was just the chassis, I was happy.

I'm halfway through the clean up process. After that it'll get some new electronics (2.4ghz, better servo, 3000KV brushless) and I'll see how it does. The 2 speed tranny looks very interesting. I have to do some reading up on it. I'm not sure if it can go in reverse.

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Well did a full tear down, clean and relube. Rebuilt shocks and new shock oil. Set belt tensions etc.

Threw in a 3000KV brushless system, digital servo and 2.4ghz radio and it's ready to rock and roll. Gonna grab a new body. I don't know if this'll be a keeper or not but I'll have fun with it until the new rear belt arrives. I'll drive the old belt until it breaks and then swap them.

Have to take it outside for a speed run to test the 2 speed tranny. Anyone have experience with a 2 speed tranny? What do I look for in terms of performance etc.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Nice score.

Yep i bought one new and was the first batch. Came with no bearings and non hardened drive axles ( all silver) So they broke on me the first time out. HPI did issue new hardened axles ( Black & silver ) Later kits had bearing as well , so i was told.

I did fit mine with a 2 speed as well. Got it running ok but the ratio jump isn't much and didn't really suit it i feel. I found it hard to hear it change too. I didn't like how it was designed. The clutch hub just has a little paw finger that springs out and snags a prong . Not very smooth. The PB 2 speed is far superior . Has a proper 2 shoe clutch and a wide ratio gap to suit a electric motor.

I ended up pulling it out and putting in a high speed 10X2. Was so much fun in a big car park. Massive drifts with the stock tires.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Thanks for the input Mark.

I want to make sure the 2 speed works so I'm trying to figure that part out. Aside from that, this truck didn't have the issues you spoke of. It has sealed bearing, hardened dog bones etc. If I keep it, it'll be for racing on an indoor carpet off road track. I'm just not sure how good this is going to be at jumping. The jumps are small but still.

With your experience, there should be an audible "click" or something with the 2 speed tranny?

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Yes you will here it change ( Just if on the road and you are close to it)

Free rev it while holding it and you will here & feel it change.

Mine got jammed in 2nd and couldn't get the paw finger out so went back to the single speed.

They jump really well. I had problems with the rear belt. Stones got in and ruined the belt. Apart from that they go really well.

Mark
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Mad Racer wrote: They jump really well. I had problems with the rear belt. Stones got in and ruined the belt. Apart from that they go really well.
Didn't these cars come with a really cool inner body (with pilot figure) to prevent that kind of thing?

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

EvolutionRevolution wrote:
Mad Racer wrote: They jump really well. I had problems with the rear belt. Stones got in and ruined the belt. Apart from that they go really well.
Didn't these cars come with a really cool inner body (with pilot figure) to prevent that kind of thing?
yes they did. Was sad to see the supply of these dry up. Pretty much have to buy a complete truck to get one now but they did work pretty good keeping the debris out. Usually find them kinda hacked up too and that kinda defeats the purpose of them but go figure.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

The inner body shell was cool in looks and did seal up the chassis well.

Problem is it toasted your motor and esc. There was no air flow at all. I had to put cooling vents in but still roasted a lot of motors and my esc. Remember its a 4wd with all the drag. Big tires as well. HPI recommended a 15t motor or down in the instructions.

If i remember the chassis has a little hole at the end of the rear diff gear and thats where the stones got in.