Who in the heck invented Coffee?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RER40
Approved Member

Who in the heck invented Coffee?

Post by RER40 »

Sitting here working on my second cup this morning I've always wondered who in the heck invented coffee, or more like who in the heck thought it a good idea to start the day?

I know, or have a general idea, all the historical crapola with the Spanish explorers going to South America, etc., etc., etc.

But what I'm wondering, especially since I drink it black (like a man) - while I can rationalize literally ANY drink that tastes good - why on earth would anybody have chomped down on a coffee bean, spit it out screaming eeee yuck, and then thought to boil it to get rid of some of the bitter taste and decided "awww, that's not so bad now."

I mean coffee, realistically, tastes like bad liquid dirt (or old dirty underwear, not sure which, maybe both) and I have to say I regret the day I ever got started on my morning ritual.

Thoughts????? 8) :lol:

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Who in the heck invented Coffee?

Post by scr8p »

i just watched (well..... 2-3 months ago) something on the history channel about the history of coffee. but, i can't remember who they said actually invented it. :lol:

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

An Arab goatherder named Khalid noticed that his goats became more lively after eating the berries of the coffee plant. Intrigued, he boiled the berries, thus producing the first coffee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

shodog wrote:An Arab goatherder named Khalid noticed that his goats became more lively after eating the berries of the coffee plant. Intrigued, he boiled the berries, thus producing the first coffee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee

Um, my intent was not a history lesson - but instead as I queried...

why on earth would anybody have chomped down on a coffee bean, spit it out screaming eeee yuck, and then thought to boil it to get rid of some of the bitter taste and decided "awww, that's not so bad now"........ :lol:

Maybe the goatherder was drinking some camel dung concoction, I dunno.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I guess you have to ask yourself why drinkl coffee at all. It smells fantastic but tastes similar to shit.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Equally perplexing is why someone would follow monkeys around and pick up the beans they poop out and make coffee? It tastes bad enough already without it now tasting like :shock: too! :lol: :lol:

I drink my coffee like I like my women - tanned. :mrgreen:

I've also questioned why I drink coffee, it is quite the vile concoction - monkeys or no monkeys! LOL It's habit, it's in lieu of doing something more constructive and even though I've switched to decaf, it's addicting.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

Halgar wrote:I've also questioned why I drink coffee, it is quite the vile concoction - monkeys or no monkeys! LOL It's habit, it's in lieu of doing something more constructive and even though I've switched to decaf, it's addicting.
Equally perplexing is why anyone would drink decaf. :shock:
At least I have my old excuse that I get something out of it, while the decaffers are drinking a dogpoo/dirt-tasting concoction and getting NUTTIN'. :lol: LOL

greazy
Approved Member

Post by greazy »

tastes like bad liquid dirt (or old dirty underwear, not sure which, maybe both)
Never had dirty underwear..... You ? :shock:

I am not a coffee person to me it is nasty and leaves you with that nasty aftertaste. I drink Diet Pepsi instead of coffee.

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

greazy wrote: Never had dirty underwear..... You ? :shock:
Really?
Mine are all dirty before laundry day. That's why I wash 'em.
greazy wrote:I am not a coffee person to me it is nasty and leaves you with that nasty aftertaste. I drink Diet Pepsi instead of coffee.
Diet Pepsi not only is just for girls - LOL - but also leaves at least as bad an aftertaste as coffee. :lol:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

RER40 wrote:Equally perplexing is why anyone would drink decaf. :shock:
At least I have my old excuse that I get something out of it, while the decaffers are drinking a dogpoo/dirt-tasting concoction and getting NUTTIN'. :lol: LOL
Surprisingly, we've found a brand/blend of coffee that isn't too bad and there's little/no difference between leaded and unleaded. It's one thing to catch a caffeine buzz when you're in your 20's, now that I'm in my 40's I just can't handle the stuff anymore. I don't drink iced tea for the same reason. Periodically I think about giving up coffee altogether, though the morning ritual goes on. :mrgreen:

Diet Pepsi? Really? Ya gotta be kidding! Anything diet is disgusting. It could be worse, you could be drinking Coke. :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

8 O'Clock Coffe Company makes some good stuff. It's free here at work so I drink it up! Of course here it's just Folgers. It could be worse. How does the saying go? "The coffee's terrible, but there's plenty of it." :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

shodog wrote:I guess you have to ask yourself why drinkl coffee at all. It smells fantastic but tastes similar to shit.
I just want to know why or how Jim knows what shit tastes like.... or maybe I don't. :mrgreen:
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

In the immortal words of Cheech and Chong, "if it looks like chit, smells like chit, it must be chit!" :lol:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Good question. I love the smell of coffee but I won't drink it. It's chocolate for me in the morning, either hot chocolate or a tall glass of chocolate milk, or Ovaltine.