Questons--RC10 Heavy Metal Class, Vintage Natinals --

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Questons--RC10 Heavy Metal Class, Vintage Natinals --

Post by tecnica2001 »

I didn't know how to better word the topic.

Let me explain, I saw an awesome RC10T monster truck conversion, right here on RC10Talk. :D and I was wondering, If we could run a Truck Converted RC10 or 10T in the "heavy metal class" at the vintage nationals.

So, I asked Mark, and he said that it would be allowed, as long as it has the highlifted body.

There's a conversion kit, to fit Blackfoot wheels on an rc10 or 10T, right??
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

civilguy
Approved Member

Re: Questons--RC10 Heavy Metal Class, Vintage Natinals --

Post by civilguy »

CRP 1560 was RC10 1/4" axle to Blackfoot rear wheel adapters. You can get longer front axles to fit the front wheels on eBay-- also CRP # 1559. Both are still readily available. Good luck!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

j.d.roost
Approved Member

Post by j.d.roost »

I remember those conversions. I think Traxxas had a really nice monster electric monster around the same time too.
Unfortunately it caused the demise of the monster truck class at or local track. We were all kids with Blackfoots and Lunchboxes ext. A few of the "older" (richer) folks came in with these and just mopped up. Man I am showing my age... :lol:

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Confession time. I have been following the Slash/SC10 discussion/controversy. For those not involved in racing, a stock spec (or nearly stock) Slash racing craze has swept over the nation. Good thing, as it is pulling in lots of newbies to the hobby. But with the SC10 coming, more sure to follow, the Slash guys are very concerned about being outclassed by more advanced race vehicles. Building on, yet upsetting a very successful thing.

So I now realize I was one of those guys 20 years ago. :oops: :oops: :oops: Like you said, trucks like the Losi JR-XT and others quickly took over what was a reasonably popular Blackfoot and Lunch Box and such Monster Truck class. Many of which were young drivers probably without the resources to keep up at our track too.

Which also sadly means that I am even older than you. Well at least I’ve made it this far….. wasn’t always looking like I would!!! :wink:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i think this class should be left to the blackfoots, lunch boxes, pumpkins, king cabs, etc. there's no reason an rc10 with a truck conversion shouldn't be able to race in the stadium truck class.

of course this is just my opinion.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

scr8p wrote:i think this class should be left to the blackfoots, lunch boxes, pumpkins, king cabs, etc. there's no reason an rc10 with a truck conversion shouldn't be able to race in the stadium truck class.

of course this is just my opinion.
Exactly, because it is a stadium truck. Gold tub converted to ST, RC10T, JrxT, LXT, these are all stadium trucks. I don't think it's fair to allow serious race machines in the heavy metal class. Yeah, I know the old heavy metal class had race machines in it, but there has to be a class where the Blackfoots and Lunchboxes are allowed to race without being totally outclassed. jmho. 8)

j.d.roost
Approved Member

Post by j.d.roost »

We are having the same debate at or track (Slash/SC10). I am fairly sure the sc10 will not be allowed to race with the slashes at our track. The slash was a good thing for us. Turnout was getting low and a bunch of new people came in with the slash trucks. We had a good time hazing in the newbies last year :) . Hopefully we can all learn from the past and stop this from destroying another class.
Funny story Bongo :lol:
Yea this is also what pushed me from a Hornet to a gold pan.I mowed a lot of lawns that year.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I didn't read Freddie's whole post-- I was just providing the part numbers. :roll:
I think a conversion like that puts the RC10 into the stadium truck class. Heavy Metal is similar to the "Classics" class, just with big tires. Sure, someone could come out with their full-on race Clod, but that's their call to thrash that sort of investment around the track. ;)

As far as the Slash/SC10 arguement, the SC10 is basically a T4 with mudflaps and realistic looking tires-- and in my book that's a mod stadium truck..... with mudflaps and realistic looking tires. :wink:
The talk around the local tracks has been to keep a spec SLASH class and possibly create an open CORR class for the SC10, modded Slashes, Losi Desert trucks and Thundertechs. Besides who wants to buy a SC10 kit and build it with a Titan motor?? :lol:
One of the reasons I got out of this hobby 20+ years ago was I couldn't keep up with the money pit that the changing technology (batteries and ESCs at the time) caused this hobby to be. The spec Slash class creates affordable racing for a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't be in the hobby. I've seen a lot of fathers with their sons and daughters running this class-- and making the hobby more family-oriented (and attainable) helps the local tracks and hobby shops stay in business. Phew-- I'm done. Nite!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I like your perspective civilguy. In all the different kinds of racing I've been involved in, spec classes were always the most fun. You don't have the stress of spending the most money, figuring out the latest do-dads and all that. You just race and have a good time. The most fun I've ever had with r/c was racing a handful of Tamiya Mini Coopers with Sport Tuned motors in parking lots. They were all equally matched and it was a total blast. That's what I like about r/c, having fun!

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

How about a Blitzer Beetle?? would that be considered a classics class entry or a heavy metal class entry?? they meet the 1994 cut off year... :wink: or would that have to be run in the 2wd truck/buggy class??

Just food for thought guys, nothing too serious, just trying to get a good discussion... :D

I also saw a tamiya Wild One with an RC10 tranny conversion on Tamiya club, that would be an awesome car to build too. 8)
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

j.d.roost
Approved Member

Post by j.d.roost »

One of the reasons I got out of this hobby 20+ years ago was I couldn't keep up with the money pit that the changing technology (batteries and ESCs at the time)
I got out of racing for the same thing.. I was racing touring cars on carpet five years ago.When we started taking brand new stock armatures and cutting the com down to tinfoil thickness right out of the box.Then cutting the foam tires down to rubberbands.That was it for me I was done... The foam tires/the zapped packs/the motor dynos/turbo 35's...ugh :twisted:
I got back in last year when 1/8 buggy took off at out track. Big initial investment but I only bought tires,plugs and fuel all year ( well I did break one a-arm and a driveshaft ).