Option House or duratrax shocks?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

transamman908
Approved Member

Option House or duratrax shocks?

Post by transamman908 »

What is the visual difference between option house and duratrax gold shocks? Came across a few sets and i'm trying to find the difference. :?
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

tulsa
Approved Member

Re: Option House or duratrax shocks?

Post by tulsa »

transamman908 wrote:What is the visual difference between option house and duratrax gold shocks? Came across a few sets and i'm trying to find the difference. :?
the easiest way to tell is the the shocks covered with oil will be the duratrax :lol: :lol:

i think the kyosho shock shafts are 4mm vs. 3mm for the duratrax :| someone correct me if i am wrong

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

There is some messy ones in there :lol:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

got to use the search, I'm sure Richierich put up a post on the subject.

Anyway, if you can open them it's easy: the duratrax's have only one red plastic spacer at the bottom of the shock-house
Option houses have 2

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I did a post on Tamiyaclub complete with pictures a while back. See if it helps.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42026

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

That link has a lot of information...but if you don't want to take the shock apart, there are several things you can look at.

Shock shaft - The duratrax uses a softer metal, so they tend to pit/scratch and rust.
Color - In theory, the duratrax shocks are slightly darker than the kyoshos.
Cap - the flat part of the cap (hole where it mounts to the tower) is longer on the duratrax.
Spring cup - If you lay the cup flat on a table (spring side down), from the side, the kyosho looks like a mountain while the duratrax looks like a top hat.

There are a couple of other things, but they are very hard to describe in words...you just have to see them.

Regards,
highwayracer

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

highwayracer wrote: Color - In theory, the duratrax shocks are slightly darker than the kyoshos.
LOL! Good disclaimer. :wink: Color may not be the most precise way to check. My Duratrax and Kyosho gold shocks look identical in their coloring.

Here's another one: I like to give the shock shaft a little wiggle. If you get tons of play, it's probably a Duratrax shock. The single seal allows for more side-to-side movement.

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

Thanks everyone for the info!! :)

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Also, the bore (interior of the shock body) is usually visually rougher. The Kyoshos will have well finished smooth bore. I have seen some duratrax that looked horrible :).-Jeff

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but it *is* relevant. :) I was initially interested in sourcing a set of blue anodized shocks to spiff up my Turbo Optima, and the Duratrax ones popped up a few times in my research. Unfortunately, the word on those is none too good..."Duraleaks" made me chuckle! :lol:

Anyhow, Yeah Racing has blue anodized shocks in the necessary lengths--70mm and 100mm--that look like they'd work, and they have the threaded spring retainer too, which is cool. Question is, are they decent & good performing shocks? Anyone use them?

I'm itching to pull the trigger on these, but not if they're junk. My Turbo Optima is going to be a runner, not a shelf queen, and I'm going for a blue anodized theme eventually. I'll not bother if anyone can confirm these Yeah Racing shocks aren't up to the task.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120587169147&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Lefty421

Post by Lefty421 »

I wonder how the Yeah Racing shocks compare to the 3Racing shocks. The price on the 3Racing shocks is certainly attractive at about $23 for a complete set of fronts and rears.

http://www.3racing-parts.com/shop/kyosho-lazer-zx5-chassis-aluminium-front-and-rear-damper-blue-color-for-kyosho-lazer-zx5-3racing-zx501bu-p-10001396.html

Also, does anybody know if Kyosho put out a rebuild kit for the Platinum shocks? If so, what was the part number? Or another source for O-rings for the Plats. ?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I asked about the Yeah Racing shocks a few weeks ago, but it seems nobody has used them...at least not in the Kyosho section. :? The Y.R. units are available in the exact sizes to fit my Optima, but I don't want to waste money on them if they're leaky or don't perform smoothly.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i have used yeah and 3 racing. niether of them are very nice. the inner bores aren't very smooth which makes them feel stiffer then they should.
the old tamiya yellow cva's are way better than either of these two stinkers. IMHO

i stopped looking for budget shocks because they both stink. now i only use associated, losi or tamiya trf's.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

kaiser wrote:i have used yeah and 3 racing. niether of them are very nice. the inner bores aren't very smooth which makes them feel stiffer then they should.
the old tamiya yellow cva's are way better than either of these two stinkers. IMHO

i stopped looking for budget shocks because they both stink. now i only use associated, losi or tamiya trf's.
Thanks kaiser...myself, I'm not trying to find budget shocks, I'm trying to find blue anodized shocks to go with my upcoming blue Optima build....not having any luck so far! Any suggestions?

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

The ones on the RB5 are smoooooooth.