Rebuild of RC10 Team Edition

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TenzoR
Approved Member

Rebuild of RC10 Team Edition

Post by TenzoR »

Hello,

I'm venturing into the world on RC10 but I honestly have no clue. However it seems RC10 is fairly popular and many of the parts are still available to purchase and Team Associate seems to have a good support for these lovely vintages. I'm working with a black aluminum chassis but the dampers are not gold (Olive green more like it). I believe it's the RC10 Team Car but I can't be certain.

I've already taken this car apart. I want to start putting it all together again but I'm baffle at where to start. The chassis itself is scratched up at the bottom and the motor guard is slight bent on a corner and the nose piece is the same with a slightly bent corner. Is there any way to unbent it without compromising anything? I'm also going to pick up a 6321 Nose Brace Tubes since the ones I have seem bent, it should be a direct fit?

The dampers on these seems fine but I'd still like to rebuild it. It's the first time I've worked on these damper, is it possible to take the bottom part of the shock assembly? I'm looking at using the 6440 Rebuild Kit, for Standard and Racing (PTFE-coated) shocks, for 4 shocks. However, I don't see 4 split washers?

Since I've been mostly a Tamiya guy, nearly all my tools are metric hex drivers, is there any possibility of finding a metric screw set for the RC10? I've tried looking at rcscrewz but couldn't find anything. Else I think I will grab the 6910 FT Blue Aluminum Screw Kit, RC10 (all alum. chassis models).

Rebuilding the transmission seems fairly straight forward looking at the magazine, is there any tricks to it? Or just follow the manual word by word? I'm not looking to run a brushless, perhaps a Tamiya TZ 23T or a Tamiya Blackcan. Also am I correct to assume the gear cover are one of those hard to find items? I didn't see them on the replacement part list at RC10.com

I'm hoping to get this car up and running by spring, thanks for all your help

edit: title change

markt311
Approved Member

Re: Rebuild of RC10 World Edition

Post by markt311 »

Welcome to the rc10 world, it gets addictive! :) The shocks you have sound like what we call team shocks, they are really great shocks, they are emulsion type shocks which means they are meant to have some air in them to mix with the oil. When I race I always pump the suspension a little before I drop it on the track to emulsify the shock oil, the 6440 rebuild kit is the correct one and should have the split washers in there. I bought a kit yesterday and all the o rings, plastic parts and e clips were bagged seperatly inside along with instructions and a little tool for snapping the seals in, they are just about the easiest shocks to build imho.

the easiest way to tell if its a team car or worlds is pretty simple, if the inside of the tub is milled under the battery and off to the sides then its a worlds, if not it's a team. There are several other differances but thats the easiest one to look for, a worlds car also has different shock towers and different steering bellcranks among other things.

If you only have a few slight bends in the aluminum parts you can probably get away with a rag to protect the aluminum and a pair of pliers to gently bend it back, the nose tubes should be a direct fit, but no rc10 thats been used is rarely ever perfectly straight. I use a straight edge across the chassis to make sure its straight, it seems a little crude but you can just use a table edge and some brute force to straighten it out. Where the motor plate bolts to the back of the chassis put one or two washers between the two pieces to keep from tweaking the back of the chassis. It's all a tinkering thing which makes rc10's so much fun.

For a gear cover, I personally would look for an rpm gear cover. They are a lot nicer than the factory ones, you may have to look around a little bit for one but they do pop up occasionally.

Good luck with the build and lets see some pictures!
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

TenzoR
Approved Member

Re: Rebuild of RC10 World Edition

Post by TenzoR »

Here are the tentative list of items I'm going to be ordering from my LHS

1105 FT Green Slime Shock Lube
3807 RC10 Decal
6160 Protech Buggy Body
6181 High Down Force Wing Kit
6321 Nose Brace Tubes
6440 Rebuilt kit for shocks
6910 FT Blue Aluminum Screw kit

I'm still dissecting my transmission trying to figure out what needs replacing, is there any common wear&tear part I need to replace? I'm thinking about carbide balls for it's durability but I can't tell if the original ones are wear out? Can I also assume I can use the Tamiya AW grease instead of the black grease?

As for plastic bits like the suspension arm, I think I'm in good shape. They don't seem to have any wear. I'm thinking about replacing the hinge pins + e-clips as I think I bent a couple of e-clips while trying to pry them out. Is there a set or do I have to order them individually?

Thanks sorry for all the questions

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Rebuild of RC10 Team Edition

Post by scr8p »

here's some exploded views of the rc10 with all the part numbers you'll need.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1640

i would buy all new stuff for the trans. atleast the diff related parts, anyway. and use the associated diff lube and black grease.

TenzoR
Approved Member

Re: Rebuild of RC10 Team Edition

Post by TenzoR »

Thanks for the exploded view. I've picked up a couple stuff today but sadly he had to order the rest :(

Hopefully I can get the bearings cleaned up and re-oil team :D