Bongo's baby steps, gotta start somewhere

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Bongo's baby steps, gotta start somewhere

Post by Bongo Fury »

Hey everybody, I hope to someday sort all of my stuff out for my Team Driver, maybe even learn how to take decent pictures, and perhaps document my little Losi journey. Everything bought by me in the day, primarily racers, no shelf queens here, let's call them shelf sluts if I may. The older stuff is almost exclusively very early releases. I have a ton of stuff that goes with what I have, which is as important to me as the cars themselves. Anyway, part of the collection, just wanted to try some posts to get started, see how they turn out, hope some can enjoy along with us.

A little teaser for the Long Losi journey of one Bongo Fury:
Garage.jpg
My Team Driver's Mini-LST2, Micro-T, XXX CR, XXX-T CR
Nicks.jpg
Nickolas's CRs. All the goodies, SpeedPassion GT brushless, brushless Futaba servos, Super Duty Lunsford turnbuckles, shared DX3R transmitter. The truck is the reigning Factory Tracks Midwest Series stock truck champ! (Couldn't resist a little braggin'. The awards banquet is tomorrow, they give out ridiculously oversized trophies!)
CRs.jpg
Some of my stuff, early XX, my XXX CR......then it starts to get interesting, the mighty Pro-SE, shown here with a XX retro tranny. Also has the Jammin' front shock tower, titanium shock shafts.
XXCRSE.jpg
The LXT with street tires, what I started my Son with before his first XXX-T. Also shown with a XX retro tranny.

And there it is boys and girls, well at least part of it... a honest to goodness very early Limited Introductory Series JR-X2.... Proformance kitted....but needs a tranny, and boy do I have trannies for it...stay tuned. Note the 5 links are sitting there.

WTF? Hey it counts, it's a RC12LW, the L stands for Losi after all. Several Bud's upgrades. Paint, without window masks :oops: is an absolute match for the color of the carpet. Boy did the fast guys hate me! Did you know that the rear end of these are amazingly durable? :shock:
LXTX212L.jpg
Some of my JR era trannies. All of the LRMs are converted to "pro diffs", but I still have the original gears. Another, from the SE still in packages. A couple of Stealths converted for Losi duty, with HydraDrives, one on, the other just the slipper right now. The MIP with HydraDrive slipper only, the MIP slipper sitting next to it.
Trannies.jpg
A JR-X2 chassis, and a Proformance kit one. Or is it a Proformanance kit, have one of each, forget which is which!
Chassis.jpg

bearrickster
Approved Member

Re: Bongo's baby steps, gotta start somewhere

Post by bearrickster »

Pictures are ok need a little discription? cant see under the bodys?
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

FasterLouder
Approved Member

Post by FasterLouder »

Nude photos of the older shelf sluts are always nice!
I'd love to take that new JRX2 chassis of your hands :D
All The Way Alive

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Yeah, I figured that chassis might generate a little interest. Actually it's not quite new... I busted the kickup of the original chassis, bought the one in the picture, had it on for one week, then the Proformance upgrade kit came out. At the time I was kinda bummed, ~$70 down the drain, but now I'm sooooo happy I have it. You will have to negotiate with my Son on that one.

I’ve went back and updated the post with comments, bumped the pictures up a little, still learning my way around. Torn between adding more pictures as is, or waiting till I get them cleaned up and restored how I want. But I will go ahead and post some, make this my before thread.

Need to decide some things. I know I need to rebuild the original buggy. Not so sure what to do with the truck: matching JR-X2/Ts, or stick with the LXT, both mean a lot to me. It also is a conversion, I was able to get it before the full kit was available. Boy did I ever stomp ‘em all that week, lapped the field with ease, laughing all the way.

Then there is the little which tranny to use issue...my head hurts just thinking about it. :mrgreen:

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

[quote= At the time I was kinda bummed, ~$70 down the drain, but now I'm sooooo happy I have it. You will have to negotiate with my Son on that one.quote]

I bet you are :twisted: most of us would jump at that chassis for 70.00 :lol: 20 years later
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

My Proformance kitted buggy. Hastily slapped in all period correct electronics, haven't cleaned up the wiring. Teflon coated shocks. The rear shocks are behind instead of in front of the tower, the tower spaced out with the Pro SE spacer, in an attempt to better line up the shocks with the arms. Du-Bro captured link ends for that crappy driver I used to have. :wink: The newer style battery hold down. Still runs great, within the limitations of the tired batteries.
PK.jpg
PK2.jpg
With a Stealth transmission. Yeah, a little weird, but boy did it ever work well. Before this I was always trying to tune steering out, after I had to add steering. Not to mention dramatically better durability and ease of setting up.
PKSt.jpg
And hey, it's not that screwy, the Stealth does have a Losi Hydra Drive conversion, so I think it's OK. That's my story and I'm stickin'......
PKHD.jpg
With a Pro kit JR's Choice naturally.
PKJR.jpg
KO FET PS-303 servo, yummy.
KOFET.jpg
MARSHAL!
PKbt.jpg
What some call battle scars, I call fabulous memories....
PKWear.jpg
Oops, not quite ready to rock.
PKwing.jpg

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Some of my Pro Kit era stuff. KO EX-1 transmitter. Lots of Tekin stuff too, the car has a Tekin 411G esc and receiver, BC100L charger. Batteries shown are Sanyo N-1400SCR.
PKover.jpg
Proformance or Proformanance? Best to be prepared.
ProKits.jpg
Gotta have paperwork, eh?
PKpaper.jpg
In the day battery maintenance....AND WE LIKED IT.
BattMain.jpg
Some old school stuff ain't so great, this picture doesn't do it justice, but personally I don't miss the old linear power supplies. I do miss the mighty Ungar UTC-300 soldering station, can't find a new tip, otherwise it would still be in service.
Pyramid.jpg
And a little more modern souvenir. No it's not really mine, but thanks to anybody who thought it might be!
Worlds.jpg

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Were do you live I need to practice my cat burglar skills :lol: you need to add that Proformance paper work to the scans section please
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

what did you use in the outdrives to hook up the sliders? i drilled a losi chassis for a stealth, with the 5 link setup. i used parts from a stealth raborn slider system to make it work. i tried to use b4 cvd's, but with the goofy way the suspension goes through it range of motion, they won't work with the 5 link. i do believe that the b4 cvd's would work with the h-arms, though. the b44 cvd's might be better, but i haven't tried it yet.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

I was gonna ask the same question, looks interesting. Nice car by the way, strange how Losi changed their mind about the name of the upgrade kit.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

bearrickster wrote:Were do you live I need to practice my cat burglar skills :lol: you need to add that Proformance paper work to the scans section please
On Longwood, second house on the right past the stop sign, ya can't miss it! :wink: If you get lost just ask for the guys that are always chasing, and catching, cars going down the street.

I added the manual per your request.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Guys, I'm not at all sure here, it's been a while and I don't think I saved the header cards. But I'm gonna guess they were labeled Bullet Racing Products, out of Texas I think. Maybe. My battery guy got them for me.

The roll pin just jams into the dogbone slots.
Attachments
Stealth Adapter 2.jpg
Stealth Adapter.jpg

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

that piece looks the same as the ones from my raborn kit. the only difference is it uses a screw to hold it in place.

this pic is from when i had the stealth mocked up in my junior-t to see if it would work.
Attachments
001.JPG

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Yep, looks very familiar.

Did you ever notice that the Losi U joints are out of phase? The inner U should line up, not be at 90 degrees to each other. Aggravates the torsional vibration at twice the rotating frequency that you get with angles on a U joint set up. Pretty amazing mistake, I always wondered if that was part of the reason the sliders fell out of favor. Plus what I suspect is higher friction when changing length.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Hey scr8p, I'm changing my story. The more I look at them the more differences I see. Yours appear to have a radius on the inside/OD, mine are sharp corners. Yours appear to have a sprue on the OD, just outside of your retaining screw, can't find any evidence on any of mine. Something else, perhaps vent or ejectors on the sides of the U on yours, none on mine. And inside of the ball yours appear to be flat, mine have part of the radius going to the U, with a concave section in the middle.