Trackmaster Direct Drive Tranny

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mikedealer
Approved Member

Trackmaster Direct Drive Tranny

Post by mikedealer »

there's one on ebay i was going to bid on for about $60+ atm, was wondering if anyone, well i guess owns one, and has anything bad/good to say about them. im talking about the direct drive version...

what were they intended for originally (sprint cars?) and would they run ok on a buggy.. or am i better off sticking with a tranny

thanks!

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Re: Trackmaster Direct Drive Tranny

Post by PBR Allstar »

ha! I just bid on this one a couple hours ago! these trannys are definitely more suited to oval racing on a tight clay track. for off road racing they get mucked up pretty easily since the drive and diff is pretty much completely open.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

ya, i think they were more suited to oval racing.

Vice

Post by Vice »

I have one of those from way back in the day I have to find it. From what I remember I had to run a real small pinion like 11 teeth on 48 pitch to work right with the wheel size.

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

Here’s a link to some previous discussion about Track Master transmissions:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3910

That one is the Track Master X-Caliber, but it looks like someone may have replaced the side panels. I say may because as far as I know, they only came with either aluminum or graphite side panels, and the graphite was solid as pictured in the topic above. Of course, those were only the few I saw. If someone did replace them, it looks like they did a pretty darn good job.

Although Track Master marketed them to the off-road crowd, they are definitely better suited for oval. That’s especially true since the motors hang way off to the left on that model. Also, because you run such a large spur on those things, you’d often have to whittle out a little of the backside of the bulkhead for clearance.

I hope this helps.