Who remembers the Chrysler Turbine car?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Who remembers the Chrysler Turbine car?

Post by XLR8 »

I remember the car very well.
I was a car crazy kid back in the 1960's and I was certainly crazy about this car. In fact, I built a 1/24 scale model of it and my interest in the car and the turbine project in general likely contributed to my decision to pursue engineering as a profession.

Anyway, I've just stumbled upon this new video on youtube that tells the complete story of the car and the people behind the project.
I think it's one of the best automotive documentaries I have ever seen.

Doug

coxbros1

Re: Who remembers the Chrysler Turbine car?

Post by coxbros1 »

Best car ever made..period...not an opinion..FACT!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

coxbros1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:11 pm Best car ever made..period...not an opinion..FACT!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Doesn't Jay Leno own it?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

I don't "remember it" as in seeing them on the road, but yeah, this one has fascinated me since I was a teenager. Also, the turbine car that dominated Indy only to have a mechanical failure at the end.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

RC10th wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:54 pm Doesn't Jay Leno own it?
Well, Jay owns one of few that remain. Sadly, most of them were destroyed after the project ended.
I always thought the Turbine car resembled a Ford Thunderbird and, having watched this documentary, I now understand why.
And, it only took me 60 years to learn the facts.
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

1911Colt wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:47 am I don't "remember it" as in seeing them on the road, but yeah, this one has fascinated me since I was a teenager. Also, the turbine car that dominated Indy only to have a mechanical failure at the end.
Now that one I forgot about. Thanks for posting a photo.
Doug

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

coxbros1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:11 pm Best car ever made..period...not an opinion..FACT!
Said no one ever, about a Chrysler product (at least, not anyone who has ever had one).

The closest thing they have is Jeep, and the best Jeeps were when AMC owned them. AMC design carried on into the I6 4.0, which wasn't horrible.

MOPAR did make some great engines, more particularly the A and B/RB V8's.

But the cars themselves are rolling piles of garbage. Even if you discount that they are rust-buckets and that the electrical system on many (into the 90's) is a fire hazzard, they are just poorly fitted. Nothing fits tight and they rattle like a can of bolts.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Elkcycles
Approved Member

Post by Elkcycles »

The I6 4.0 is a solid engine, which can be rebuilt entirely from a mail order catalog (Quadratec). It will outlive its Jeep. Not a great performer, but reliable. I doubt Stellantis will ever produce anything similar.

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

I do not understand a turbine driving wheels therefore it is voodoo and I am afraid of the technology. :lol:

Joking.

In lighter news my 1996 XJ just lost cylinder 1-2. Took me home another 37 miles after it did on 3-4-5-6.

I tested the spark plug wires with a spare plug. They have spark. The fuel filter and injectors are 3 months old. During testing I heard what sounded like the crank slamming into the bottom of a broken rod. I don’t know if I’m hoping for an electrical gremlin -and a misfire/backfire is what I heard - or if I’d rather have a mechanical failure that clearly presents itself.

I’ll pull the plugs and do a compression test. What a nightmare. I’ve had her 14 years.

1st day I got her:

Didn’t take long to start cutting and welding.

Inverted Y steering makes me so angry :lol: I’m a better engineer then that.

Sorry this ended up so off topic. I’ll get my jeep fixed 😞

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

40 mins in on the documentary..it's truly excellent!..anyone that doesn't watch might have issues..just saying..I bet Thumbs doesn't or isn't allowed to watch it
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

juicedcoupe wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:44 am
Said no one ever, about a Chrysler product (at least, not anyone who has ever had one).

The closest thing they have is Jeep, and the best Jeeps were when AMC owned them. AMC design carried on into the I6 4.0, which wasn't horrible.

But the cars themselves are rolling piles of garbage. Even if you discount that they are rust-buckets and that the electrical system on many (into the 90's) is a fire hazzard, they are just poorly fitted. Nothing fits tight and they rattle like a can of bolts.

Awe, come on... tell us how you REALLY feel! :P :lol:

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

I watched it. Damn interesting story!
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Dangeruss wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:53 pm

I was thinking of saying the same thing. :lol: I think I'll keep my '70 Charger nonetheless...and pretty pleased with my daily driver 2005 Magnum RT AWD I bought several years ago with about 100K km on the odometer, now it's close to 300k. ;)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Coelacanth wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:36 am
Dangeruss wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:53 pm

I was thinking of saying the same thing. :lol: I think I'll keep my '70 Charger nonetheless...and pretty pleased with my daily driver 2005 Magnum RT AWD I bought several years ago with about 100K km on the odometer, now it's close to 300k. ;)
Yeah, especially back in the mid to late '60's and into the 1970's (the muscle car era) Chrysler was as serious about performance as Ford and Chevy - maybe more serious. Anyway, their approach was to fit the largest motor into the lightest car possible. Sometimes, light weight can be perceived as flimsy and lower quality but the approach certainly worked. Friends bitd drove Chevelles Camaros LeMans, GTO's, etc. Great cars and good quality but they were extremely heavy compared to Chrysler cars. For the record, my first car was a '66 Chevy II. Cheap, rusty and junky (I had no money) but it was light.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the most money ever paid for a muscle car at auction was for a Hemi Charger -- something like $1.3 million. This was a while back.

My sister has driven a 2011 Ram pickup for 13 years now (they are farmers in Illinois). No issues whatsoever apart from normal maintenance items-- it's been a good truck. I've driven it and it drives very nice as well.
Like they say, your experiences may vary.

The Turbine car was manufactured by Ghia in Italy. Hand built, one at a time. Very costly to make but very high quality. Anyway, the cars arrived from Italy as finished rollers (right down to the hub caps) and Chrysler installed the engine and transmission. I always thought they were beautiful cars.

I'm sure billions of Arabs would agree, it can't be bad if it has a turbine.
Doug