Inaugural 2023 Tamiya Vintage World Classic - Thunder Alley R/C, Lucama NC - Jan 13-15

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Inaugural 2023 Tamiya Vintage World Classic - Thunder Alley R/C, Lucama NC - Jan 13-15

Post by scr8p »

The Bandit could probably go in Classic 2wd or if you wanted to run 17.5 buggy.

The Rustler, maybe Heavy Metal or stadium truck.

I would assume they'd have to be OG versions.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Re: Inaugural 2023 Tamiya Vintage World Classic - Thunder Alley R/C, Lucama NC - Jan 13-15

Post by RCveteran »

OG version with Carbon chassis and new 272R transmission. :D Would be less mods than some of the other custom "vintage" builds we see here.

I'm just stirring up the pot.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

If the bandit has a carbon chassis, Classic 2wd is out.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Looks like I'll just have to win 17.5 then, and I'll do it with a 27T silver can and original Traxxas tires. :mrgreen:

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

That is an interesting concept - Rustler and Bandit as 'vintage' ?!

I may consider one of those for a future vintage race.
-dldiaz

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

oh man, this is tempting.

3.5 hrs away
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 RC12l 10LS Pro10

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

I have a couple RC10s almost ready for the track - I am not bringing a B2/B3 backup (like I ran at VONats), so hopefully I can get one of these sorted:

Gold chassis:
- long wheelbase, 15-degree caster blocks, and limited travel front shocks (hopefully for more on-power steering).

Black chassis:
- short wheelbase, 30-degree caster blocks, battery moved forward (again, looking for steering).

Both have one ounce of weight on the nose.
Both will have 40wt shock oil all around - track seems pretty smooth on recent videos, no huge jumps, etc.
(though I didn't check if the layout will be the same as seen on YouTube)

front 3/4
front 3/4
rear 3/4
rear 3/4
-dldiaz

nicholasdivitto
Approved Member

Post by nicholasdivitto »

Can't wait to see y'all there!

I'll have my RC10 team car and XX4 for 17.5 and 10.5 just like at Vonats. I'll also be running my Tamiya Madcap in classic, and maybe my Clodbuster in Heavy Metal if I can finish it in time.

There should be plenty of space at the track if you want to set up a display table. I'll probably bring a folding table just in case, as I've got a couple cars I'd like to display as well.

The track hobby shop has been selling a ton of Tamiya kits and wheelie vehicles so those classes should be pretty exciting. There has been a good amount of interest from the local racers, which is a really nice surprise.
317510937_10220706845252901_663955185170865284_n.jpg
My current vintage racing lineup: Associated RC10 B2, RC10 Team Car, Losi XXT, XX4, XFactory X5, Schumacher CAT 2000 www.moto-obscura.com

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Hey Nick,. Can you give us a run down on like pit space and other stuff about the track and shop? Are there pit benches with power? Does the track stock tires for buggies and trucks? Wifi? Liverc?

How about transponders?

nicholasdivitto
Approved Member

jwscab wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:05 pm Hey Nick,. Can you give us a run down on like pit space and other stuff about the track and shop?
The track has benches along the walls in the track space for pitting, they do have power strips and outlet boxes.

The hobby shop does stock a good selection of buggy tires and some truck tires. There is WiFi and there will be video LiveRC coverage. Standard 2 wire or 3 wire Mylaps transponders work, the track will probably only have a couple rental transponders on a first come first served basis.

I tested the track layout a couple days ago with my B6.2 and my XX4.

The timing loop is right before the front turnaround (1), 2: I guess this is sort of a triple but its more just bumps. I basically roll over these. 3: This double requires a pretty good run out of the bumps, this is probably the longest jump. 4: simple tabletop. The turnaround leading into it was super slick when I was testing, but by race day it should build up some grip. 5: Technically a triple but I was treating it as a double single and I probably will for the race as well. There has been talk of reprofiling it to make it more vintage friendly. 6: this is probably the highest jump, but it isn't as intimidating as it seems. It sucks all the speed out of the car and pops you up into the air, you can slow way down before it if you'd like though and still make the jump. 7: Banked
sweeper, lets you build up a lot of speed for the front triple and double. 8: this triple and the following double is really fun. High speed, but the car stays low and flat. Then its across the line into the first 180 turnaround.

Its looking like next weekend will be around 50-60 degrees and rainy, so perfect indoor racing weather! I still have some building and painting to finish :shock:
beast.png
My current vintage racing lineup: Associated RC10 B2, RC10 Team Car, Losi XXT, XX4, XFactory X5, Schumacher CAT 2000 www.moto-obscura.com

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Thanks Nick appreciate the update and info. Yeah hopefully if that triple is tough, they can make it a little more vintage friendly.

nicholasdivitto
Approved Member

The Beast Of The East race is over now and I'm told that the track is being reprofiled. The basic flow and layout will be the same, but the big jumps are being cut down a bit to make it more vintage friendly. If I make it out there during the week I'll take some photos. Otherwise I'll see you all this weekend!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

That's great news!!! See you there!!!

Monark192

Post by Monark192 »

Does anyone know of any events like this on the west coast?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Monark192 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:51 pm Does anyone know of any events like this on the west coast?
I think they do one here occasionally.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/529197220815163

There was a plan for a larger event like this and the Vonats in CA in 2020. But Covid screwed that up and now I think the place closed. Only other option I know is the Kinwald Klassic in October in Arizona. But the only vintage class at that race is 17.5 2wd