New Kyosho USA-1?

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

New Kyosho USA-1?

Post by Burniefloyd »

I was just wasting a Saturday night surfing the internet and bumped into this. Am I behind the times?

Screenshot_20210821-204718.png

Nitro and electric available. Those dual engine nitro monsters were gorgeous I hope they come back as well.
Self described chronic hobbyist

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Re: New Kyosho USA-1?

Post by LoboNYC »

Burniefloyd wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:55 pm I was just wasting a Saturday night surfing the internet and bumped into this. Am I behind the times?

Screenshot_20210821-204718.png

Nitro and electric available. Those dual engine nitro monsters were gorgeous I hope they come back as well.
The Nitro would be my choice.... I loved to watch it run back in the day... Would love to see if they improved on it.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Take a close look, unfortunately really just a body set on an existing platform. Not exactly a rere. My buddy and I were going to both preorder the nitro version until we noticed. :roll:
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh well...thats money saved for another DS :mrgreen:

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

:lol: Yea definitely something of a let down, but you're right glass half full... More coin for vintage AE!!
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

That is definitely disheartening. I was so excited I didn't look. :cry:

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

Oops. Double post

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I totally missed the Kyosho USA-1 when it was originally released so I've just taken a quick mini-course on youtube. Apparently, there were some durability problems with the original so this new one will likely be a much better truck. Anyway, Kyosho lists this one as "1/8 scale" so it's probably bigger than the original (although, with RC stadium and monster trucks, what does "scale" actually mean??).
At the very least, I'm gonna try to snag a body set when it becomes available. I drove an early '90's GMC pickup bitd and I still like that style of truck.
Doug

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

The old USA-1 electric was “1/10” but the nitro crusher with the same body was on a 1/8 scale burns chassis, so yeah. Scale numbers mean very little. I’d be willing to bet it’s the same body as before or at least pattered after it, with the same dimensions.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Yup, the Nitro Crusher was Kyosho's 1/8 scale nitro monster truck of the time period, and the Nitro Thrasher was their 1/10 scale one.

When I was narrowing down what I wanted as my first hobby grade R/C for my birthday, the Nitro Crusher was a top contender but it was just too expensive.

With this as I take it re-release body, It appears Kyosho either didn't want to pay Chevy for licensing or Chevy refused as they removed any reference to it.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

GoMachV wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:15 am The old USA-1 electric was “1/10” but the nitro crusher with the same body was on a 1/8 scale burns chassis, so yeah. Scale numbers mean very little.
And if they are anything like their Tamiya counterpart, the body is actually close to 1:12 when compared to a real 1:1. They made the bodies extra small so the whole thing looked more "monstrous."
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

morrisey0 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:40 pm
GoMachV wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:15 am The old USA-1 electric was “1/10” but the nitro crusher with the same body was on a 1/8 scale burns chassis, so yeah. Scale numbers mean very little.
And if they are anything like their Tamiya counterpart, the body is actually close to 1:12 when compared to a real 1:1. They made the bodies extra small so the whole thing looked more "monstrous."
Yeah, I got a taste of Tamiya's apparent misrepresentation of scale just a couple days ago.

When a Hilux Monster Racer repop body I ordered arrived, as I pulled it from the box, my first thought was "this isn't 1/10 scale - this thing is TINY!"

To me, 1/10 scale means if the full scale truck is 6' x 14', then the RC body should measure 7.2" x 16.8" (or something close) irrespective of tire size. I think the body should establish the vehicle's scale.
Tamiya's approach is if the chassis was originally designed as a 1/10 scale vehicle, then every future model that is produced for that chassis is also 1/10. But they will actually shrink the new vehicle's body as necessary to fit the chassis. It can be a little frustrating sometimes.
Doug

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Just look at a Traxxas Slash, its classified as 1/10 scale. And while it shares many parts with its 1/10 scale kin, it is much larger. It isn't quite 1/8 scale but calling it 1/9 wouldn't be a stretch.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

XLR8 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:32 pm Yeah, I got a taste of Tamiya's apparent misrepresentation of scale just a couple days ago.
Yea, awhile ago I bought a Clod shell thinking I could just shorten the bed and stick it on a touring chassis and have a nice lowered C10. I can't remember exactly now, but the body is like 7-7.25" wide. :roll: I can't find anything to stick under it to make it the ride I want.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:51 pm Just look at a Traxxas Slash, its classified as 1/10 scale. And while it shares many parts with its 1/10 scale kin, it is much larger. It isn't quite 1/8 scale but calling it 1/9 wouldn't be a stretch.
Yeah, I've noticed that.
I think that's true for most short course trucks.
Maybe because many SC's were derived from older stadium trucks with their long suspension arms and large tires. The wheelbase was stretched for SC then they had to make a body large enough to cover the tires so the whole thing ended up being larger than 1/10 scale.

The evolution of these RC vehicles is interesting; it all began with 1/10 scale buggies, add large tires and long arms and a small (narrow) truck body for ST, then stretch wb and add large body for SC. The current trend is to convert SC's to no-prep drag cars - which have large bodies.

I wonder what comes next.
Doug