My ultima pro

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Medved

My ultima pro

Post by Medved »

I present to you my original ultima pro.

This was bought off ebay last year as birthday present to myself to give me a large dose of nostalgia. I raced one as a kid back in 91-94 when everybody else had Schumacher cougars and rc10s.

I had to replace the front bulkhead and somewhere along the road a previous owner decided to cut down the top deck.

It now has a a shorty lipo conversion, savox low profile servo, hobbywing 10.5t motor and a turnigy trackstar 80a esc. Oh and jcracing 2.2 wheels.

I run it with an 18t pinion and 20‰ turbo on the esc and it is rapid. I run it as original as I can get it.
Have to say it is a joy to drive
Attachments
Ultima
Ultima
Ultima
Ultima

mikea96
Approved Member

Re: My ultima pro

Post by mikea96 »

Looks good! Those wheels really make it look nice.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Looks like a lot of "toe out" on front wheels, is that how they are set up or just the photo?

Medved

Post by Medved »

I think it's just the photo. I run them pretty much level with as close to 0 degrees as I can.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Do you run a hardened final pinion in the gearbox? Back in the day, my Turbo Optima would eat up the OEM aluminum final pinion, and then that would chew up the mating gear. A steel replacement from Thorp eliminated the problem. I do see the Thorp 4738 final pinion on eBay. It's overpriced, but might be worth considering.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Medved wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:01 pm I think it's just the photo. I run them pretty much level with as close to 0 degrees as I can.
I agree...cellphone pics these days really seem to exaggerate toe angles, especially with top-down pics. Kind of a fish-bowl effect when taking close-up pics.
Frankentruck wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:16 pm Do you run a hardened final pinion in the gearbox? Back in the day, my Turbo Optima would eat up the OEM aluminum final pinion, and then that would chew up the mating gear. A steel replacement from Thorp eliminated the problem. I do see the Thorp 4738 final pinion on eBay. It's overpriced, but might be worth considering.
Yep, agreed. Definitely a necessary upgrade, if it's gonna be a runner. I believe someone here sourced a generic one online somewhere that had the correct pitch and dimensions, but hope someone else can help out and link it.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Wow, what a nice ride you have there! I need to order myself a set of those wheels - they look great on your car.

"Have to say it is a joy to drive." I couldn't agree more.
I've been running the wheels off mine the last few days (detail here https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44380).
I've stumbled upon what seems to be the perfect motor and gearing combination for my little loose-dirt backyard track and the car is just amazing to drive. I love it!

By the way, but have you seen this?

Could this be the most costly Ultima ever built?? Anyway, I think it's pretty amazing to see Joel drive this car.
Doug

tagger
Approved Member

Post by tagger »

Nice ride.

I raced one back then too. I had a Thorp gear set and a Trinity or Composite Craft chassis and a few other bits that made it competitive and reliable. Then Losi was the flavour or the month so I started racing a Jrx2 - which I still have.
I wish I had kept the ultima too...

SnowTheProto

Post by SnowTheProto »

I have an Ultima Pro as well how did you get/make that under tray as I need one to stop all the dust and things getting inside it. also did you change the gears out with that new motor as I am worried if I put more power into it the gears could strip on mine. it runs well but there is a lot of steering slop may need help with that too.Image Image

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

SnowTheProto wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:54 am I have an Ultima Pro as well how did you get/make that under tray as I need one to stop all the dust and things getting inside it. also did you change the gears out with that new motor as I am worried if I put more power into it the gears could strip on mine. it runs well but there is a lot of steering slop may need help with that too.Image Image
Oooh that's dirty :wink:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

SnowTheProto

Post by SnowTheProto »

I know that’s an oldish photo heres a better image of it right now and I’m really proud to have kept it functional. Removing the rear sway bar made it run better for me.
Attachments
IMG_9810.jpeg

Delorean
Approved Member

Post by Delorean »

Hey mate

What bits did you use to do the shorty conversion mate? It looks great. I just picked up a pro with the same alloy chassis but was puzzled as to what holder I could mount but it looked difficult with all those slots for the saddle pack

Cheers

Mikey

Medved wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:30 am I present to you my original ultima pro.

This was bought off ebay last year as birthday present to myself to give me a large dose of nostalgia. I raced one as a kid back in 91-94 when everybody else had Schumacher cougars and rc10s.

I had to replace the front bulkhead and somewhere along the road a previous owner decided to cut down the top deck.

It now has a a shorty lipo conversion, savox low profile servo, hobbywing 10.5t motor and a turnigy trackstar 80a esc. Oh and jcracing 2.2 wheels.

I run it with an 18t pinion and 20‰ turbo on the esc and it is rapid. I run it as original as I can get it.
Have to say it is a joy to drive